Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Share your visa stories here!  (Read 36436 times)

• Wishstar
  • Fully Certified British Citizen

• Supplier of useless knowledge
    • An American in London
  • Liked: 1
Share your visa stories here!
« on: January 12, 2005, 06:31:30 PM »
Sometimes hearing how others dealt with things first hand is the best way to calm rapidly fraying nerves when others are going through the whole visa process.  I know I've been asked countless times about my personal experience....did I do this, did I do that, etc. 

So I thought it might be a good idea to have a sticky thread here that basically has lots of our personal experiences.  Those of us that have gone through this process and come out of the other end, either with a visa (and sanity) or without, have a lot we can share with those just starting down the road. 

So c'mon....tell us about it!  How did you go about getting to the UK?

• Wishstar
  • Fully Certified British Citizen

• Supplier of useless knowledge
    • An American in London
Re: Share your visa stories here!
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2005, 06:36:18 PM »
Just occured to me I should probably start just to kick things off:

Before we were officially engaged, my husband and I had both done a bit of looking into the requirements for visas and considering how we would go about actually being together. Deciding which country we would live in was the first thing we had to work out. I didn't have a job, and was living with my parents so it seemed logical that I moved. I was perfectly fine with that since I had always wanted to live in the UK. (Oh, okay I was crazy about Scotland in actual fact, but any part of the UK would do.) Plus, after looking into it, it was obvious to us that my coming here would be much easier as far as legalities went. We have always intended to end up in the USA, but a few years here in the UK was something we both felt was right for us.

Being a very cautious people, we decided to go the route of the fiancee visa. After spending a December in London, I returned to the USA with and engagement ring on my finger and began sorting out the details.

Living in Tennessee, I decided that a trip to the consulate in New York would be out of the question. Since we knew it would be a couple of months before I went back for good, we decided to do things by post.

So what did we actually have to do? Well, that's always the big question, isn't it? It all seems terribly confusing and contradicting when you read the immigration web sites. They never actually give you a definite answer of what it takes. That's because depending on circumstances, it can take a variety of things to convince them of what they want to know.

What do they want to know? Well, two main things really:

a) That you are legitimately in love and plan to be together with your darling forever, married and settled in the UK

b) That you aren't going to be a leech on the system at any point in your stay

If you can manage to prove those two things, you've got it made.

You'll need documents for both yourself and your future spouse, so one helpful hint -

DON'T SEND ANYTHING BY RECORDED DELIVERY OVERSEAS!!!

My husband tried to send his passport, etc to me that way and it got completely held up in Miami Int. Airport for nearly two and a half weeks! This created some serious stress. I've heard others say the same thing happened. Since the UK and the US have completely different postal systems, you just cannot count on things arriving by that method. It is actually quicker and safer to send them by regular mail.

As I said, every couple's situation is different. There is no checklist and I've heard lots of stories of people sending all kinds of things in and getting approved.

Here's what we sent in:

1 - Completed application forms IM2A and IM2B (one for you and one for your intended)

2 - Two recent passport photos of myself attached to the IM2A form

3 - My valid, original passport

4 - My finance's valid, original passport

5 - Photographs of HIM and I together and copies of itineraries proving we had each visited each other and met

6 - A letter from my sponsor (my fiance) stating that we had met and he was indeed intending to marry me, could not bear to be away from me, blah, blah, blah and that we were planning to live in the UK permanently and together

7 - My resume showing I had skills that should enable me to find work once we were married

8 - My fiance's lease showing we had accommodation

9 - A letter from my fiance's employer showing that he had income to support me until we were married

10 - A cover letter from myself stating that:

I was planning on arriving in the UK on or about 20th March

Neither of us had been married before and so no divorce papers were included

Neither of us had dependents so there were no forms for them included

My contact details (phone numbers, email, etc)

We had made initial contact with the registrar's office in Aberdeen and had a cleared the date and time with that office

11 - A money order for $382, $10 of which was for return express postage

12 - Bank statements for the past three months for both myself and my fiance (they had to call back and request this which delayed things by a couple of weeks)

I then photocopied *everything* and sent in my application on 27 January. Due to them having to call back and request the bank statements, we got the visa about three weeks later. However, the date that the visa has stamped on it in my passport reads that it was issued on 30 January. So they had issued it as soon as they got my application, but had to verify the account stuff and then sent it on to me.

I mention this because it is important to know that you have six months from THE DATE OF ISSUE to get married. Other entry visa's often begin the day you arrive in the UK, but this one does not.

When I arrived in the UK on 15 March, I had no problem at all with customs or immigration. They saw my visa and I was on my merry way to see my soon to be husband. And I was so glad to not have to worry about getting through that line! It was well worth the headache and the few weeks we had to wait for the visa stuff to be approved. I was nervous enough about the flight and the fact that I was moving to a new country and getting married in a matter of weeks. One more worry would have pushed me over the edge, I'm certain of it.

After we were married and back from our honeymoon, we trolled on down to Croydon and got my marriage visa (Further Leave to Remain), which allowed me to stay in the country for one year and work as much as I wanted. We did this about a week after our wedding to allow time for the marriage certificate to be sent to us. You won't get one right after the wedding.

You can do this visa by post, but it can be done in one day if you go in and I wasn't ready to part with our passports and marriage certificate for up to six months. So we decided to just go in and get it done with.

Hints for this part of the process:

Don't worry about dressing up for the interview. They don't expect it and it will be a long day, so dress comfortably.

Get there EARLY! We arrived by about 8:30 and just barely escaped with visa in hand before they closed for the day. I'd suggest being there no later than 7:00 if you can manage it.

Bring a book and some snacks. You're gonna do a lot of waiting around in a big noisy room. Once you enter the building, you cannot leave.

You don't need a lot for this visa, just your passports, your first visa, and your marriage certificate. But your spouse does need to go with you.

After we got this visa, I found work and all was well. I then realized in December or so that the National Insurance number (kind of like a Social Security Number, nothing to do with NHS, by the way) they had issued was a temporary one. I had to go and arrange for an interview with the Benefits Agency to get my card and offical number issued. This interview was long and extensive. I have to say that it was much more intensive than the visa stuff. But you do get a time and date for your appointment so it won't take all day like the visa did. And you don't need your hubby/wife to go with you. This is all you. :)

After our first anniversary, we made our second and (hopefully) final trip to Croydon for the Indefinite Leave to Remain visa. This was the simplest of the three, really, and allows me to work, live and enter and leave the country as much as I wish indefinitely as long as I'm not away from more than two years at a time. For this one, we just took everything we could think of taking....a whole bag full of stuff from bank statements to letter from our parents saying how happy we were together. In the end, all they wanted was the form and our passports. We still had to wait all day long for the stamp, but it was pretty simple.

Then in 2004, three years after our wedding, I applied for and got my British citizenship.  End of story!  :)

• Twitter
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2005, 07:39:36 PM »
My hubby and I have an unmarried partner's visa and although not as common on these boards as fiance and spousal, it is a great visa for those who are not heterosexual or anyone who just does not want to be rushed. That was our reason for getting it.

When I moved to Northern Ireland I originally assumed I would stay for the 6-9 months (you can do that time because of the border situation here) and then we would get engaged but as time went on, we realised neither one of us wanted to be rushed into anything because of legalities...something a lot of people agree with.

I originally had NO idea about the up visa whatsoever. I really didn't know where to start. Over time on message boards and kind help from others, we decided to keep on going ahead with the risky back and forth venture for the visa. 2 years passed and 2 weeks ago I got my visa with no problem.

I can't stress enough that you MUST have 2 years together. I wasn't asked many questions, but I was asked to reiterate where the two of us stayed over the 2 year period. Although the first two months of our time living together was sort of sporatic, we did have stamps in our passport to back the timing up.

Okay. Since I lived in NY all my life up until 2 years ago, we decided that the NY consulate was the way to go for us since it was close and easy in the way of travelling to.

As wishstar says, you never really know exactly what you're going to need on your interview because everyone's situation is somewhat different. One thing I can say is save EVERY single thing that relates to you and your spouse. Nothing is too small. If you're applying for this visa, definitely save envelopes addressed to you, medical documents, etc. Also, if there is one thing that can save you if you have very little together for joint information, GET A JOINT BANK ACCOUNT. In the US, that is near impossible as all banks I tried ask for a social security number for the other holder and that is impossible unless you're a citizen. As for the UK, I had nothing but a passport and I got onto my boyfriend's account with no hassle. I know in the end, it helped more than I can say.

We got to the NY consulate just before 8:30 AM. We went on a Wednesday not that that really matters but just for documentation sake, I am mentioning it.

There were a lot of people cueing up behind us. We made our appointment online a few weeks prior with no hassle for 9 AM. We also did our application online via fasttrack and paid with a credit card. Also a no hassle deal. I think everyone should do the same as it shows the consulate you have done your homework and makes less hassle for them as well...which I am SURE they like. I also think if you can, you should bring your other half. Having them there for moral support as well as proof your relationship exists makes a huge difference. You just make an appointment for them the same way too. I did this and think that sealed the deal for us to get the visa.

We got through the x-ray area and headed to the tenth floor. You cue up on another line and wait your turn in one of the 4 windows. Once you are called, you hand in your application (if you do it ahead of time) and wait for them to ask the questions.

Here's what we brought.....but not necessarily needed:

Every single piece of mail I ever received here at my UK address (letters from friends, catalog address pages, catalog order invoices, Home Office replies from visitor visa applications, medical insurance letters, etc) I included anything of that nature that had my name and address on it.

Medical insurance paperwork

Doctor invoices and letters ( I was ill when I was here a few times)

Bank statements from our joint account

Bank statement from my bank account for 6 months showing my savings

Proof of my divorce

Passports for my hubby and myself with stamps showing our time together over two years

Birth certificates for my boyfriend and myself

Passport photos for the two of us (2 of each)

Credit card letters showing we both had the same account

Old phone bills

Old itineraries from holidays we took over the time we lived together

Old boarding cards and luggage receipts

My CV

My job recommendations

Old pay slips for a job I had in the US when my visitor time expired here....just to show some employment

My university degree

My boyfriend's college acceptance letter and proof of his course

Official letters showing my boyfriend's address here (loan letters, benefit information, p45 etc)

Deed to my co-sponsor's home

Letter from my co-sponsor showing her ability and want to help

Co-sponsor's pay stubs and bank statements for one year

3 letters from friends showing they knew and thought our relationship was genuine

Letter from my boyfriend showing his intent

Copies of old e-mails to and from my boyfriend

Old greeting cards to one another over the two years

Photos of us together on holiday, etc

Out of all this, the only things she kept were the letter from the co-sponsor and my boyfriend. She only looked at most of the correspondence letters and envelopes, bank account information (glanced at it), co-sponsor's stubs, our passports and the application. She looked at, but did not take, the other items. She was satisfied without taking my job information.

The woman did ask me to reiterate our time together. I figured she would. I looked her in the eye, which anyone should because it shows confidence....which you should have no problem having since you're legit :), and told her the truth. She gave us a card with a number and a time to come back (11:30 for us) and said good luck.

We looked nice because I feel it helps not to be a slob. We saw some people like that and we were appalled to see them like that with a plastic bag full of things. Be as professional as you can as it goes a long way. I had a big messenger bag with labelled files inside. It makes a difference to be organised so the interviewer doesn't have to wait. I think the plastic sheet protectors with a binder is the best way to stay organised. If I had to do it over, that would be better as I was still crazed with my neat folders.

I agree with NOT sending anything recorded overseas. I sent my boyfriend's plane tickets international signed for Airsure and it took 3 weeks. Royal Mail is miserable and useless and I don't know why they offer a service they can't supply. The USPS used to do tracking to the door over to here but somehow stopped it. FedEx is the only possible way of getting something overseas so use that if you can.

We didn't photocopy anything for the interview. It didn't seem to matter because the interviewer only looked at our items and then gave them back. I am sure for mailing you are better off photocopying for them but the $495 IS what you are paying for the photocopying by them for. It's $520 now so let them do that work.

No matter what others say, the visa process is no sweat IF you have all the information they ask for. We had almost no evidence of our first year together except for passport stamps and a few medical bills for me and it didn't matter because of all the other info we had and our presence there together. I stressed until I had that passport in my hands but went "Well that wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be" once it was all over.

I know I am forgetting something. If ANYONE has a question about our UP visa process, IM me and let me know. I know the help here was priceless and I want to be able to do the same for someone else.

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2005, 08:48:45 PM »
I just got my fiance visa today!!!!!!!

I was going to start a new thread, but just found this, and it seemed so appropriate.

Anyway, I got it in person, at the New York Consulate, after applying via e-fasttrack.

This is the advice I have to share:

1. Come early. My appointment was for 9 AM. I got there about 7:40, then walked around the block until it looked like other people were showing up to apply for visas.  Around 8:30, I saw a man standing in front of the building, looking like he was waiting for  a visa. It turned out that he didn’t have an appointment, so I was the first one to go in. I walked straight through the metal detector, to the elevator and up to the 10th floor, and only had to wait a few minutes before I was called to the interview. When I had to come back around 10:30 to pick up my visa, the line of visa applicants was extremely long.

2. Be organized. I was called up to a bank-teller-like window. The interviewer read my application, and asked for documents one at a time. As he asked for a document, I handed it to him.  It was very helpful to be able to produce documents immediately, without having to fumble through a stack of papers. I had a looseleaf binder with labeled sections. Use whatever works for you.

3. Chit chat is important. We had this conversation.

Interviewer (looking at my application): I see you first met your fiancé at Manchester airport.
Me: Well, we didn’t actually meet for the first time at Manchester Airport.  We met on the internet before and saw each other in person for the first time at Manchester Airport.  (It says this on my application.)
Interviewer: Oh, I thought you had a romantic story about meeting at the Airport.
Me: Well, we do have a romantic story, but that’s not the one.

I am pretty sure that was a test.

These are the documents that were needed:
My passport
Fiance’s passport - I had the original
My letter of intent
Fiance’s letter - There was a scary moment when I was asked for a second letter, which I did not have. I think they were expecting one letter saying that he knew I was applying (since he wasn’t present), and another saying he planned to marry me. The one letter I had from my fiancé said both, so all was OK. Personally, I think two letters from the same person is a waste of paper.
Registry booking of wedding date.
Fiance’s divorce certificate.
Tenancy agreement and letter from landlord stating I could live there.
Letter from fiance’s employer.
Fiance’s bank book.
My bank statements.
Letter of support from my sister and her bank statements.

By the way, my fiancé himself does not have  enough money to support me, but between me and my sister, we have enough money in the bank for me to live for 6 months without working.  The interviewer was fine with me living off of American money (mine and my sister’s), rather than British money.

Now, here’s the amazing thing: They did not ask for any other proof of contact.
I had a huge (very heavy)  folder containing photographs, plane tickets, love letters, phone bills, emails, MSN messenger conversations. Before I was asked to show any of it to the interviewer, he said “You’re all done.”  Worried that this was a mistake, and that I would have a problem later when I tried to pick up my visa, I asked if he needed evidence of contact. He said he didn’t, that he had everything he needed.  I suppose the fact that I had access to my fiance’s passport, divorce certificate, bank book and tenancy agreement were proof that we have a relationship.

I am definitely not advising anyone not to provide proof of contact–better to bring something and not need it, then not have it and have your visa denied–just mentioning that I didn’t need it.

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2005, 09:32:17 PM »
I'm just gonna be lazy and say to click the link below.     ;D

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2005, 02:58:57 PM »
Not actually my story (which is too complicated anyway), but definitely among my favourites...

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/taxidriver/Website/

• Liked: 0
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2005, 03:13:32 AM »
Hey, the kids and I got our visas on the 12th in New York...it was so easy, we didn't get asked anything, just had to show our wedding certificate, the kid's birth certificates and letters from fathers stating it was ok for them to relocate in the UK. (I had applied online beforehand, I wonder if they looked up financial data previously? Didn't ask to see any mortgage papers or bank statements or anything.) They took our passports and pictures and we were asked to come back in 2 hours and pick them up. We were all set to get "normal" settlement visas but when she suggested that we go with the FREE EEA dependent visas that have to be renewed each year, we went with those as we plan on moving to the USA in two years or so anyway, and if not, it is easy to change them in the UK.

• York Interweb
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2005, 04:13:45 PM »
Congratulations Geally! I'm glad everything worked out for you.

I had applied online beforehand, I wonder if they looked up financial data previously?

I seriously doubt it. They are extremely busy, and they would have to get special legal permission to look up confidential financial data on each applicant. They would probably only do it if they had reason to suspect the fiancial information on an application was fraudulent. I think that in the New York consulate, they tend to focus their attention on visa nationals, and rush everyone else through.  (You and I were there on the same day; I'm sure you noticed that there were tons of visa nationals applying for tourist visas.) In my case, the interviewer did not want any evidence of contact with my fiance, and while he did ask for financial statements, he did not want to see proof of an additional source of income that I had.

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2005, 05:17:15 PM »
Regarding the consultate in NYC:  did the waiting area have access to refreshments?  A water fountain or bottled water?  Does anybody remember?

• Liked: 0
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2005, 10:19:42 PM »
Sweetpeach...you were there the 12th also?! I had probably just gone through the interview process when you came back for your passport as my interview was for 9:30, but I don't think I started it until 10:00 or so and left about 10:15. I had the female interviewer to the far left. She was very nice and chatty. Congratulations to you too!

Garry...I got a bottle of water before going up to the 10th floor at the little "snack shop" on the first floor that is right across from the metal detector/xray machine. I didn't look for a water fountain (because I had my bottle) but I think there was one right outside of the bathrooms.

• York Interweb
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2005, 10:43:46 PM »
I had a 9 AM appointment, and I was the first person there, actually, so I just went in and they took me right away. 

Well, actually, there was a man waiting outside before me, but he didn't know you needed to make an appointment, he'd just filled out the E-fastrack the day before without making an appointment. I guess they just sent him home.

I didn't pay much attention to my surroundings because I just went right in and out. However, I did notice that there was a photo machine.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2005, 10:46:33 PM by sweetpeach »

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2005, 06:47:04 AM »
Regarding the consultate in NYC:  did the waiting area have access to refreshments?  A water fountain or bottled water?  Does anybody remember?

There's nothing in the lobby, but there was a water fountain in the waiting area.

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2005, 07:15:56 AM »
There's nothing in the lobby, but there was a water fountain in the waiting area.

Thanks!

If anybody can remember from the other consulates, I'd love to hear about it.

It's one of their objectives this year (theoretically) to take care of this.  Along with the notion of having a tea trolley service the queue outside of Lunar House.  We'll see...

• Married! 4-7-4 (4th of April, 2007)
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2005, 09:15:27 AM »
I have a different sort of visa...a work visa.  I was hired by the American School in London as a High School Counselor in March 2004.  The school went through the work of obtaining a work permit for me.  Soon thereafter I sent off my passport to get my entry visa...I did the fast track online and sent the paperwork plus passport to NYC for processing.  It didn't take hardly any time at all...I have a two year entry clearance that lasts until May 2005 (sent it a bit too early).  I'll most likely stay at the job after this and work will have to get me an extension on the work permit.  I know that getting the new stamp over here typically takes a much longer time for some reason...one friend here it took almost 5 months to get her passport back...so I won't be planning on any trips in 2006 until I get my passport returned!

• You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2005, 09:52:07 AM »

Thanks!

If anybody can remember from the other consulates, I'd love to hear about it.

It's one of their objectives this year (theoretically) to take care of this. Along with the notion of having a tea trolley service the queue outside of Lunar House. We'll see...

I'd be happy if the little snack shop were actually open the hours it says it's supposed to be open.   >:(  Absolutely gagging for a cup of tea and they didn't open until 1 hour after the posted time!!
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

Sponsored Links