Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Share your visa stories here!  (Read 36516 times)

Re: Share your visa stories here!
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2005, 10:02:47 AM »
I'd be happy if the little snack shop were actually open the hours it says it's supposed to be open.   >:(  Absolutely gagging for a cup of tea and they didn't open until 1 hour after the posted time!!

Which consulate?

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2005, 10:11:33 AM »
Sorry - Lunar House.  My visit to the British Consulate in NY was nerve-wracking enough I couldn't have even thought of drinking or eating anything!  ;)
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2005, 10:36:12 AM »
I have an unmarried partner visa though we are now married.

I came over as a student before you needed a visa to do so (4 years ago). Lived with the then BF/DF for 2 years. We kept all records of living together - leases, bills, post, etc. We applied for the unmarried partner visa in late June. In addition to copies of leases and bills, we sent a letter of recommendation from my Uni supervisor and also copies of adverts for jobs I would be qualified to apply for (to prove my ability to find work).

We received the FLR about 2 weeks later. We married about 3-1/2 months after that. The only reason we did unmarried parnter was it was easier to deal with the visa before our wedding than after. This is because my student visa expired a week after the wedding and we had loads of visitors in town so no time or money to cope with it!
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2005, 11:04:59 AM »
Sorry - Lunar House.  My visit to the British Consulate in NY was nerve-wracking enough I couldn't have even thought of drinking or eating anything!  ;)

If anybody is visiting Lunar House in the near-term, I'd love to hear about it!

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2005, 11:06:53 AM »
I'll be going there in March... ;D

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2005, 03:26:17 PM »
I'll be going there in March... ;D

Would you please keep an eye out for a tea trolley serving the outside queue?

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2005, 04:07:26 PM »
Most definitely - will be looking forward to it, in fact!

- Benjamin Franklin

• Liked: 0
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2005, 10:14:18 PM »
Hi Everyone!
Well here's my story. My fiance and I met online back in July and from the first night we talked I knew he was my soulmate. We had so much in common and he was so easy to talk to. We ended up talking till the wee hours of the morning(well it was morning in the UK) After that we talked every single day for hours at a time online and on the phone and we knew we wanted to be together and get married. In November I went to Scotland to visit him for 2 weeks and meet his family who I immediatly fell in love with, especially his mum. I had no problem understanding their accent, in fact it sounded like beautiful music to my ears. My fiance and I spent most of the time doing our favorite things together like watching our favorite movies, shopping together visiting the family and ordering take out. He was amazed at how much I love curry!I wanted it every day, but I suppose I'll eventually get burned out on it.(maybe not) I think I must of gained 5 pounds when I was there because of all the good food and desserts I had to try, like sticky toffee pudding, which I just love.His one sister works at a bakery so she gave us a bag of pasteries too which didn't last long! While I was there we went to the Wallace Monument in Stirling, took a walk around Loch Leven and his mum and sister took me shopping and had me over for tea several times. It was so hard for me to leave him at the end of my 2 weeks and I felt like I had known them all my whole life. It seemed so different when I came back to the States, like I didn't belong here anymore and my life was in limbo, like I was just here biding time till I could be with the one I love again. If it wasn't for my job keeping my mind occupied I don't know how I'd of made it. It took us almost 3 months to get enough money in our bank accounts and to gather all our documents and  information together but we finally got everything and I filled out the E-fast track application the beginning of January. We were just waiting on his sister to give him her mortgage papers which she didn't have yet since she had just bought the house so we thought a letter from her stating that she owned the house would suffice. I sent everything in last thursday and I got a call from my entry clearance officer 2days ago saying he needed a legal document from her so I asked if I could get some sort of proof if it would be alright to fax it and he said that would be ok. Just today she faxed it to him and I thought I would call to make sure he got the fax and he did and they're issuing my visa today and I'll be recieving it very soon! This is the happiest day of my life! I haven't told him the good news yet as he's still at work but he is going to be sooo happy! I'm really looking foward to my new life with him, and my new home in Scotland.  :D

• If only the Chunnel went to Norfolk...
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2005, 04:47:38 PM »
Does anyone have any stories of applying by mail to share?

I'm particularly interested in waiting times, extra evidence required, telephone interviews, etc.

Thanks so much for helping a nervous bride!

;)  shell
Shell (US) and SteveB (UK)

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2005, 06:23:53 PM »
I'm applying via the online fast track and mail.  I'll let you know how it goes!  :)

« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2005, 06:45:43 PM »
I just did my e-fasttrack application today and paid online.

Last week, my fiance mailed me his documents, and I'm preparing mine now.  I'm going to overnight them to NY as soon as I have them in my hot little hands!  I just really hope everything goes smoothly....

« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2005, 09:28:11 PM »
Update:  I fedex'd the documents to NYC, and they arrived at 9:16 yesterday.  Today, I got this email:

Dear Applicant

Your passport and supporting documents have arrived safely at this office
and are currently being processed. Our normal processing time for mailed
applications is 5 working (Monday -Friday) days. You will receive further
notification by e-mail once the visa has been issued.

Please do not call this office for an update unless we have exceeded this
time frame.

Regards

New York visa team.

Also, my fiance picked up the rings from the jeweler today!   ;D :D :)

« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2005, 10:55:22 PM »
Hey everyone....just wanted to share our experience of getting our spousal visa from NY.
I was very worried about our situation before we went and hope that others who might be in a similar situation read this and feel comforted.
I am on income support for myself and my son and receive housing benefits for my 2 bed flat (350 per week).
I work 4 hours a week cleaning a house (for 20 pounds as allowed by benefits)
My American husband had not worked since June when he had a very serious brain injury after a bike crash.
I thought there was no way that they would approve us given these curcumstances.

We arrived at the consulate NY at 8:45 am for our 9am appointment, i was feeling as sick as a dog and with folder in hand got in the lift. My hubby was holding me and i said that i hope this is gonna not be too painful. There was a lady in the lift with us who the asked if we were there for a visa to which i said yes and she said that we would probably be seeing her as she worked in that dept.
We went and sat down (it was very quiet...4 other ppl) and waited.
At 9am we were called up to a window by the lady in the lift. She asked to see both passports, the wedding cert, my bank statements (my husband didnt even have a bank acct, much less statements) and my tenancy agreement that clearly stated that only myself and my son could live there, i had no letter of permission for my husband to stay there as i was placed in this flat by the homeless persons section of the council a few years ago and when i had asked them for such a letter giving permission, they refused to give me one saying that they would only consider him able to live there after he was legally in the country and had been interviewed by them (dont ask me....crazy law Grrrrr  ) I also gave her a statement from the bank saying i had 2500 pounds in a savings account (that had been placed in there in one lump sum 3 days before) and finally a letter from my mother saying she would financially aid us until my husband was employed.
The lady took all this away and we stood there sweating for all of 4 minutes, when she returned and said that his visa was only for 2 years and that he would need to apply for futher stay 1 month before his visa expired.
She asked for no evidence of the relationship (i think cause she saw us kissing in the lift lol) and basically that was it....took about 10 minutes in total. The part that took the longest was waiting for them to take our money. Oh and btw....we didnt fast track our application either. we went to Tacobell for an hour and went back to collect it. I cant tell you how many sleepless nights i had over this and in the end the whole thing was as easy as cake.

I hope that anyone else who is in the same position with benefits can get a little reassurance from this experience. It is the hardest thing to hand over your life to someone you dont know.

So.....alls well that ends well.

Goodluck to everyone else who still has this to go through...i know how stressfull the worry can be.
This is a great site that has offered a lot of help, support and reassurance, i know i wouldnt have been able to cope with all of this otherwise.

Just goes to show that in this materialistic world that you dont have to have loads of money to live the rest of your life with your loved one.

Stay safe
Jules   ;D  ;D  ;D
Look but don't touch! Touch but don't tase! Taste but don't swallow! And while you're hopping about from one foot to the other, he's up there laughing his sick f#@king a$$ off - Al Pacino

« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2005, 04:57:49 PM »
I just received notice via email that my visa was approved and is being fed ex'd back to me!!  I mailed it out via overnight priority last Wednesday, February 16.  It was received on Thursday morning.  Friday afternoon I received an email stating it was being processed.  Monday was a holiday and this morning I received an email stating it was approved and issued and on it's way back to me via Fed Ex!   :D
I had a folder and enclosed the following items in it:
- application
- visa fee
- two photos
- my original passport
- fiance's original passport
- 3 months of my savings and checking accounts, printed from the bank (total of about $4000, due to tax refund!)
- 1 month of his savings account (lump sum of £2000 given by his dad) and 1 month of his checking (with £200 overdraft)
- statement from my mother as a financial co-sponsor and 3 months of her savings account (pm me if you want actual amounts)
- statement from his father as a financial co-sponsor with 3 months of his savings account
- also included in statement from his father was permission to live at his house and a photo copy of his deed
- letter of intent from fiance stating date we want to be married
- letter of intent from me stating date we want to be married
- letter from his job stating amount he makes and date his job started (3 weeks ago) plus pay stubs from previous job
- copy of two utility bills from me showing current accomodation
- copy of his mobile phone bill and car insurance showing he lives at stated address currently
- copy of my cv and degrees
- three emails from me to him, three emails from him to me, two cards from him, a letter to him from me, 4 or 5    photos of us together, as well as several airline tickets showing travel to visit one another; we also lived together for 7 months in England so I sent several items that had been mailed to us both at the address.

I have been an absolute nervous wreck, sleepless nights, worrying continually, so the relief when I got that email was overwhelming!  I am now looking forward to heading over to England on March 2 to be with my love forever!   :D
« Last Edit: February 22, 2005, 05:01:12 PM by cookie70 »

« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2005, 06:41:55 PM »
Cookie and I sent our documents out the same day.

I am trying very hard not to refresh my email every 3 seconds.

I am not succeeding very well....  ::)

Sponsored Links