Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Share your visa stories here!  (Read 36514 times)

• My blog!
  • Liked: 4
Re: Share your visa stories here!
« Reply #330 on: December 04, 2008, 05:19:27 PM »
Adding on to the 'new' thing.  The letter alone is not enough, the sponsor needs to be actually, physically in the UK.  The letter should include a mobile number or similar so that the CW can verify it.

Correct, and I included the mobile phone number.  I didn't realise about the "present in the UK."  I found the information about the letter.  Not is IS NOT in the form or the guide.  I didn't realise that before.  We should take care of that, because unless you are reading everything, like I did, you may not be aware of it and the IEB did not mention it when I called.

From: http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/ukresidency/settlement/applicationtypes/applicationformset(m)/
If you apply in person both parties should attend the Croydon public enquiry office, however, if this is not possible the settled spouse (permanent resident) is required to provide a letter stating that they support the marriage application. The letter must be signed and dated, with a daytime telephone number where they can be contacted if necessary.
WARNING My thoughts and comments are entirely my own.  Especially when it comes to immigration and tax advice, I am not a professional.  My advice is to seek out professional advice.  Your mileage may vary!
Transpondia
UK Borders Agency (Official Government Site)
Office of Immigration Service Commissioner (Official Government Site)
My Blog

• Banned

« Reply #331 on: December 04, 2008, 05:21:11 PM »
Wow.  Definitely new.

Vicky

« Reply #332 on: December 04, 2008, 05:41:27 PM »
And just to be totally 1000% correct, I always had my clients include a paragraph explaining *WHY* they were not attending.  In some detail too. 

Along the lines of "I am not attending the in-person application because it conflicts with a long-standing commitment to attend the such and such meeting and blah blah blah blah...  However, I will be physically present in the UK because these commitments are all situated in Bognor Hognor blah blah blah blah"

I don't think it's ott at all to write such a letter...

• Liked: 0
« Reply #333 on: December 04, 2008, 06:09:33 PM »
If you apply in person both parties should attend the Croydon public enquiry office, however, if this is not possible the settled spouse (permanent resident) is required to provide a letter stating that they support the marriage application.

I hope they didn't get any 'Clear English' awards for this webpage.

1. Why single out the Croydon PEO?  If this is the new policy, surely it happens across the board?

2. The 'marriage application'?  What??  I'm not applying for marriage; that's what Vegas is for.

3. Maybe one of these immigrants who proved sufficient knowledge of the English language through KOL can go through the website and turn all the incorrect commas into semi-colons.

This information is also included in the FLR(M) info (though Croydon has been removed):

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/ukresidency/extendingyourstay/applicationtype/flr(m)/

Man, now I'm even more glad that I scheduled my appointment around my partner's schedule.

• My blog!
« Reply #334 on: December 04, 2008, 06:25:27 PM »
I don't think it's ott at all to write such a letter...

It isn't Over the top, but A) it isn't clear, as it isn't in guidance or the form itself and the IEB doesn't mention it when booking and B) It is just "illogical" when given that neither party attends a postal application and the signatures on the form are sufficient.
WARNING My thoughts and comments are entirely my own.  Especially when it comes to immigration and tax advice, I am not a professional.  My advice is to seek out professional advice.  Your mileage may vary!
Transpondia
My Blog

« Reply #335 on: December 04, 2008, 06:41:23 PM »
I hope they didn't get any 'Clear English' awards for this webpage.

Man, now I'm even more glad that I scheduled my appointment around my partner's schedule.

Now THIS is classic Skitt's Law.  Totally classic.   ;D

• My blog!
« Reply #336 on: December 05, 2008, 08:30:40 AM »
Garry has kindly published my full experience here: http://www.londonelegance.com/transpondia/ilr/setmexperience.html
Transpondia
My Blog

« Reply #337 on: December 05, 2008, 01:10:58 PM »
Garry has kindly published my full experience here: http://www.londonelegance.com/transpondia/ilr/setmexperience.html

Your experience really matches mine.  I think it's a good example.

« Reply #338 on: December 05, 2008, 03:36:38 PM »
Kitson is a hero!  His FLR page consistently holds the 1st or 2nd Google slot.

• See my Welcome Wagon post to learn more about me..
« Reply #339 on: July 06, 2009, 05:05:13 AM »
Hope you don't mind if I revive this thread, as I am entering this process and freaking out a bit.

The quick story: I am a UK/US dual citizen, born and raised in UK, moved to US in 1998 when I was 23. Met my USC wife in 2000, and we were married in Chicago in 2002. We have lived in Illinois ever since, and now have two young kids. Wanting to move to the UK, and have already completed the online portion of the application process, with a biometric appt. in a few weeks.

Looking at the list of documents requested, here is what we can provide:

- Letter of sponsorship from me
- Passports (US -- her, US and UK -- me and the kids)
- Marriage and birth certificates for all 4 of us. History of relationship, if necessary.
- Application form, photos (natch)
- Financial stuff -- Bank balances and last few months of activity. Our finances are pretty healthy: we have over $20,000 in the bank. We also own a house in the US which we plan to rent or sell before we move. (NB- I don't have actual payslips, but the bank records show payments from my employer)
- Jobs -- Neither of us has anything lined up in the UK, but we can demonstrate past employment and potential employability (CVs and academic credentials). We have both been applying for stuff in the UK and have had some success in terms of invitations to interview and even some phone interviews.
- Accommodation -- We don't have anything lined up yet, but I can get a letter from my dad in the UK saying we can stay at his place until something turns up.

What else could I profitably add to this list? It seems from poking around this site that there is no such thing as a Master List -- some people get approved with everything required, others have some gaps but still get approved. (Others...well, let's not even go there.)

If anyone feels inclined to look over this list and suggest additions/changes, I would be very grateful! How solid do we look? Tell me it's all going to be OK!
"The stars don't shine upon us / We're in the way of their light"

- Silver Jews

• Liked: 1
« Reply #340 on: July 06, 2009, 06:33:22 AM »
In addition to the letter from your father, you will also need him to provide his mortgage statement, title or lease agreement of the home in which he will allow you to stay, and unless he owns the home outright, you will need to show that you can pay him some reasonable amount of rent (even if you dont actually pay it)

« Reply #341 on: July 06, 2009, 08:55:39 AM »

If anyone feels inclined to look over this list and suggest additions/changes, I would be very grateful! How solid do we look? Tell me it's all going to be OK!

Tax Returns to show that you've been together since 2002. That way your wife can get the 'KOL Req' stamp and be able to take the LiUK test & get her ILR asap. This is crucial due to the upcoming changes to the way immigration is going to go in the next year or so.

For your current income information...even though you are paid by direct deposit you should have some sort of advisory statement from your employer for each time you are paid. If not you really should get something from payroll or HR to show for the 3 months (and any of the current month) before you submit your application.

I agree 100% with mirrajay regarding the information needed from your father.

You don't need to send in the passports of your kids.
You don't need to send in the birth certificates of your kids.
No photos are necessary since you're not trying to prove your relationship...you're already married and the tax returns will lend enough credence to that.

Everything else looks alright. Good Luck. Just remember to include a letter from yourself in support of your wife's application.

« Reply #342 on: July 20, 2009, 08:50:28 PM »
Thanks for the info -- I didn't mention the KOL Req stamp anywhere in the online application form, is it too late to still ask for it? (We haven't submitted the complete packet yet -- biometric appt. is this week...)

Also, a related point, on the online application we selected "Yes" for "Will your partner be travelling with you." Anyone know how binding this is -- if we end up traveling separately, will there be trouble?

- Silver Jews

« Reply #343 on: July 20, 2009, 09:28:18 PM »
Thanks for the info -- I didn't mention the KOL Req stamp anywhere in the online application form, is it too late to still ask for it? (We haven't submitted the complete packet yet -- biometric appt. is this week...)

Can't help with your second question, but I believe the majority of people who have obtained the KOL endorsement have specifically mentioned it in a covering letter attached to their supporting documentation, so I wouldn't think you're too late to request the concession.

« Reply #344 on: July 20, 2009, 09:47:30 PM »
Many thanks -- and just to ensure I understand it correctly, the KOL endorsement means that, once we're in the UK, my wife can apply for ILR straight away, once she's taken the Life in the UK test?

- Silver Jews

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab