Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Our cheap(ish) and local(ish) holiday.  (Read 1425 times)

• Fat people are hard to kidnap.
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 0
Our cheap(ish) and local(ish) holiday.
« on: June 12, 2003, 03:58:43 PM »
So before my husband started his new job, we decided we needed to get away for a while.  Not having two nickels to rub together, we had to be thrifty.

We live in Brighton(ish) and here was our itinerary:

Day 1 -- drive to Poole and spend the day drooling at pottery
Day 2 -- visit Longleat in Warminster
Day 3 -- drive into Wales to see Dan-yr-Ogof caves and the Big Pit  Aberdulais Falls (we skipped the pit in favour of the falls -- we didn't have time for both)
Day 4 -- go to Wookey Hold and Cheddar Gorge  (too pooped by the end of the trip, so we just opted to go back to the hotel and RELAX).
Day 5 -- depressing drive home to normalcy  :P

The trip was really nice and affordable.  

I found some deals on Travellodge.co.uk so we got our first two nights for £30/night.  After that, though, I discovered Holiday Inn Express -- so I made Andrew let us stay there.  Oh ... the joys of having a phone in your room ... such little things make me happy.

I've thrown a very limited number of photos up online at Shutterfly (thanks, Melanie, for showing me that) since our personal website is STILL not done (*nudges Andrew (dh)*)
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b3222c566532 (I recommend the “view as slideshow” option on the right once you’re in the album)

BTW... the first one is fake -- don't panic.

VERDICT   [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Depending on if you want adventure or just simple beauty... everything was nice. Longleat had something for everyone and was SOOO worth the money.  We spent £16/pp to get in, but it was a FULL day's worth of activities.  The world's longest hedge maze is there and we got stuck in there for years!  I had to pee SO bad, we ended up coming out before we hit the goal.  Talk about confusing!  Andrew got to see a Dr. Who exhibition.... so he was happy.

Also, if you go to Longleat, hit "heaven's gate."  It's this... thing... that Lord Bath constructed up on a hill.  You can't really get to it once you're on Longleat property... we checked it out the evening before.  Ask your B&B owner or Hotel receptionist how to get there.  The views from there are beautiful and worth the trip.

At the Dan-yr-Ogof caves there is also a Shire Horse farm with VERY friendly animals.  We got to pet a whole bunch of lamas and shire horses and... those little miniature horses.

All in all -- great trip.  If you go to any of the places, check their websites... we got tons of coupons and "buy one get one" offers.  

Any questions, just ask!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2003, 08:04:15 PM by collington »
If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. ~Carl Sagan

• Fat people are hard to kidnap.
    • Flickr
Re: Our cheap(ish) and local(ish) holiday.
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2003, 08:05:21 PM »
Sorry -- had to change the link... realized it wasn't displaying two of the photos....
If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. ~Carl Sagan

• The Key to life is making the best of change.
Re: Our cheap(ish) and local(ish) holiday.
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2003, 02:03:51 PM »
Hello Collington,

Sounds and looks like the two of you had such a great time.  Thank you for the advice.  

We all have shadows of self doubt in the corners of our beings self respect is an ongoing prcoess of vigilance.  It means learning to be able to live by an internal compass. - Sara Lawrence Lightfoot

Sponsored Links