Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: American kids in UK schools  (Read 3325 times)

American kids in UK schools
« on: June 17, 2002, 05:03:38 AM »
I'm still living here in the U.S. but planning to move to the U.K. and marry my fiance. I have 2 boys...15 and 8 years old. I'm not even sure I'll get to have my boys with me.  :( I do have custody if you can call it that. He has them the 1st 3rd and 4th weekend of every month. He has them Friday night, Saturday night, Sunday night and ever Wednesday night. I only have them Monday, Tuesday and Thursday nights. Also he gets them for an entire month in the summer and he's promised a huge custody battle when I move even though I'm more than willing to give him summers and holidays. Anyway, in the event that I do get to take them with me to the UK I need to know what to expect when I enroll them in school.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2003, 08:36:23 AM by meli_snell »

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
Re: American kids in UK schools
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2002, 05:12:57 PM »
My boys are 14 and 8, and by BF and I seriously thought out the education angle before deciding to make this move.

The kids in the UK are grouped according to age.  From what I've heard, they are a few years ahead, but if your kids are intelligent honour students (which mine are, too), they shouldn't have any problem.  We've scheduled our move for before the school year so they can start at the beginning.  My BF's mum - and a few others - have mentioned they've never heard of a child being "held back," as they sometimes are in the States.

The 8 year old will probably be fine - the 15 year old though -- I had concerns because mine is 14 and only has two years before he no longer would have to attend school and those "level" tests (which I still don't completely understand!) would be taken.  But I figure he's a smart boy and we'll know soon enough to get him help if it's really too overwhelming.

I know others will be able to give you more info - but since our kids are the same age, I thought I'd let you know that with all I've read and heard, I feel very comfortable bringing my kids over and enroling them in school in the UK.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

• Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2002, 05:22:23 PM »
There are some really good education links under the topic Education in the UK for Special Needs Children :)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2002, 05:23:11 PM by glasgow-girl »
'Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.' - Emerson

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2002, 09:53:49 PM »
Thanks Peedal.  :) Wow its cool to find someone with kids about the same age going thru the same sort of situation. Another thing I worry about is teasing. I dont know if it would be a problem. Them being teased for their American accents or anything like that. My fiance said if there was a problem with bullying or teasing he'd be the first one at the school talking to the teachers. He's such a sweetie isn't he?  [smiley=heart.gif] But he said he really doesn't think there will be a problem. I just worry because my 8 year old is on the shy side and when he's teased he doesn't stand up for himself.
Thanks for the info on the education links Glasgow-girl.  [smiley=thumbsup.gif] I'm still learning my way around the forum and trying to take everything in so its great when y'all point me in the right direction.  :)

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2002, 11:22:50 PM »
Well, I've had feedback from parents both ways - that there's teasing and that there isn't.  Mostly, that there isn't.  Seems the girls in the UK have the same reaction to "American" accents as the girls in the US do to UK guys!  I really wouldn't worry about the acceptance factor - especially if you and the boys have support from your guy.  That counts a lot.

Where are you looking to move to?  (You've probably posted this elsewhere - but I'm at work and short on time to search around!)  Each area seems to have great "council" websites w/tonnes of info about working, living, and schooling in their areas.

Keep me posted on your situation.  I have a great virtual shoulder to cry/lean on!
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2002, 01:08:54 AM »
That seems to be my b/fs opinion as well. He thinks the girls will be ga-ga over my boys...which frankly scares the bejesus out of me.  [smiley=worried2.gif]
« Last Edit: August 16, 2003, 06:57:14 AM by meli_snell »

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2002, 02:01:34 AM »
Well, I've had feedback from parents both ways - that there's teasing and that there isn't.  Mostly, that there isn't.  

In my experience, there is bullying.  It's in every school,  it's taken seriously, but it still goes on.  But it is my honest opinion  that being an American or having  an American accent wouldn't necessarily make you a target.  There's a thread on this board under 'bullying' where this is addressed abit.  

• what you talkin bout lewis?
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2002, 03:43:01 AM »
well...i dont know anything about the schooling...my kids are with me here...but i do know that you will be moving relitivly close to me

im in Tredegar...that is also south wales...when you get here message me...we can try to get together if you like...it would be great to have another american woman to talk to...im trying to track down one that supposed to be in my town...but no luck yet...i think they are thinking of me..lol

message me if you like...my e-mail in in my profile...i think you just click on my name in this post to see it

good luck on your move...hope to see you  ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D
wann sum chocky chippy cookie dough?

Sponsored Links