Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Earned Income Credit/ Married Filing Seperately  (Read 934 times)

• Smiley Gifts World
  • Liked: 1
Earned Income Credit/ Married Filing Seperately
« on: January 19, 2005, 09:40:11 AM »
I married a UK citizen in October 2004 and now reside in the UK. My understanding is that means I need to file my taxes as married filing seperately-- however this makes me ineligible for earned income tax credit and child tax credit-- is this correct? Any chance I am missing something or am I just out of luck?

thanks for your help
Helena

Re: Earned Income Credit/ Married Filing Seperately
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2005, 01:17:54 PM »
According to my tax book, you have to have lived in the US for more than half of the year to qualify for EIC.  You cannot file Married Filing Seperately and take EIC. 
But as far as I know/can tell, none of these make a difference when applying for the child tax credit.  You get that automatically.

Keep in mind I'm just looking at my book, I'm no tax expert or anything.

• Smiley Gifts World
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2005, 01:25:43 PM »
According to my tax book, you have to have lived in the US for more than half of the year to qualify for EIC.  You cannot file Married Filing Seperately and take EIC. 
But as far as I know/can tell, none of these make a difference when applying for the child tax credit.  You get that automatically.

Keep in mind I'm just looking at my book, I'm no tax expert or anything.
Thanks -- I did live in the US more than half the year......but I guess I won't qualify since I don't have a choice but to file married filing seperately since I am married- and he isn't a US citizen....argh

• Liked: 8
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2005, 02:42:29 PM »
You can file jointly -- you'll just need to get an ITIN for your husband.  I'm not sure how long it'd take, but since we have the built-in extension because we live abroad, you should be able to have it done in time. 

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2005, 03:50:10 PM »

Or in the can write non-resident alien in lieu of an ITIN # where you would normally put a SS#. That is fine to do....I did that last year with no trouble at all.    ;)

• Liked: 8
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2005, 03:55:28 PM »

Or in the can write non-resident alien in lieu of an ITIN # where you would normally put a SS#. That is fine to do....I did that last year with no trouble at all.    ;)

Yeah, you can do that if you're filing separately, but the foreign spouse needs an ITIN if you file jointly.

Sponsored Links