Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Anymore fun short breaks in Britain?  (Read 1942 times)

Anymore fun short breaks in Britain?
« on: June 15, 2003, 12:13:12 PM »
Hiya!

It seems that a lot of people are staying around home this summer for their holidays - I've sold more British travel guides this past month than I have in the entire time I've worked in bookselling!! I really enjoyed reading Collington's post about their cheapish, localish holiday! It realised then that many of us have a wealth of knowledge about our local area and what it has to offer....we could really tap into it and get a wonderful view of what people can see if they come to our area! So...to go along with that vein, I just thought I'd share a few of our favourite trips in the south & south east of England ;D

Although the bulk of our British travel is yet to come, (I've been here about 18 months - but we don't have a car yet!) we've had a few day trips & short holidays that were just plain lovely!

1. In the South East, we went to Groombridge Place, which is a short REAL steam train ride from Tonbridge Wells!! I'd never been on a real steam train, and the experience was just thrilling!  :) It would be a great place to bring kids, too- because Groombridge has a wonderful Birds of Prey show and a boat ride. Also has an "enchanted forest" for us kids (We really enjoyed it hehe) with a large swings, and a little hobbit like looking village in the side of the stream bed- and much much more! Ok- I sound like a tourist board hehe It was definitely worth the trip! I didn't even tell you about the beautiful house and gardens! It was where Sherlock Holmes writer, Arthur Conan Doyle, spent a lot of his time writing and he's set one of his books!

2. Also went down to Devon and stayed in a wonderful little bed &breakfast right on Dartmoor. I absolutely fell in love with Dartmoor! We explored the moor with it's Dartmoor ponies, Tors (big rocky outcrops) and ancient stone villages that are only visible by the stone circles of foundations! My Future FIL is a tour guide for Dartmoor and brought us to many of the best archaeological sites we spent a while searching for on our own hehe It wasn't like we got extra-special treatment, though- anyone can get guides to the moor and it's advisable that if you're not a big map reader. We had the local OS map of the area , which was really helpful! A-Z also does a great Devon & Cornwall Visitor's Atlas that has great maps & wonderful activity ideas. If you time it right, you might even catch some of the fayres! We just missed Scarborough's Fayre- we're hoping to get back there to see it  ;D We also explored the outer areas (Exeter, etc)and got to see some old castle ruins, a newer "castle" Castle Drogo, and got to hit a book fair where we found a signed Enid Blyton that made future SIL a very happy girl for her birthday this past week! Oh! We'd absolutely recommend the b&b we stayed in in Moretonhampstead- it was wonderful! Something about being out in the middle of such beautiful, undisturbed countryside was just sooo romantic, too :)

3. We just went to Hampton Court Palace (Surrey) last weekend and had a great time! The gardens were absolutely gorgeous and our favourite part of the day. I'm a big history buff, so I always love touring through houses and grounds of historical homes & castles  :D Which is why I love to go to the Tower of London! I look forward to 'having' to take friends and family when they visit us  :)

Our next trip is for our honeymoon! We're going down to the south coast, Dorset- can't wait!! It's a first trip for both of us, so we'd love to get tips on what to see! Is anyone familiar with the south coast?

Or- better yet- what are your favourite places visited? What do they have to offer couples and families with children?

Share away!
Jen ;D
« Last Edit: June 15, 2003, 12:14:11 PM by jennydee »

• Banned

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • NGUNN.NET WEBSITE
  • Liked: 0
Re: Anymore fun short breaks in Britain?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2003, 12:55:10 PM »
Stoney Stradford small villiage just outside of milton keynes..I love it.

Cromer..sea side village some shops just really nice for a day out.

Great Yarmoth, sea life museum..excellent day out.

Bletchly park...for you WWII buffs, also where the Engima movie comes from..

Norwich Cathredrial (Spelling?) again lovely day out and see some of OLD England.

Worburn sands safari park... like a zoo but you drive threw the park..also has some walk around bits to look at animals as well... I love it.

Snediton Safari park..down near Luton I belive it was...another brilliant place for animal lovers.

If anyone wants to do a get together and go for a day out..send me a message....one way to meet others..

Cynda Gunn

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2003, 01:19:51 PM »
That's the thing about living here in the UK. You can take some wonderful short breaks, even day trips around the country.

DH and l take drives sometimes around Ireland and have a wonderful time. The coast of Donegall is absolutely beautiful! The drive to Dublin is beautiful too. And the best of these trips is that it's only an hour away.

There are some beautiful Cathedrals here where we live. I find it the old castle ruins facinating!

If you ever want to come to lreland for a short break let me know l can point you in the right direction!

• Banned

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • NGUNN.NET WEBSITE
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2003, 01:21:53 PM »
I would love to come to Ireland. but the cost to take the ferry is outragious and if you don't know anyone to pick you up at airport your kinda stuck.

Cynda Gunn

• Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2003, 05:43:26 PM »
I would highly recommend Avebury (Stoneheadge in the miniture sans anything to keep you from the stones).

It's a cute little area and very peaceful to walk about in.  The stones are quite impressive.

Also you can hop over to Wells, where the famous Wells Cathedral is.  We centered ourselves in Bath for these little forays. Bath itself well.....sigh....without words....

Also love the Costwolds.  Stayed at a lovely farmhouse with sections dating back to 1000.... I can find the name if someone needs it.  It was between the two Slaughters...Upper and Lower....(I just love those names).

The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

• having one of those days...
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2003, 02:22:54 PM »
i love day trip/short break ideas!

we're planning a trip to snowdonia in north wales. the mountains look lovely, and we're looking to stay at a b&b somewhere up there. maybe betws-y-coed, and then we can take a side trip to llandudno, which is a coastal resort nearby.

i also want to get back to cheddar (near bristol) as we've seen the gorge but i want to see the cheesemaking! beautiful village, worth the winding roads to see it!

there's loads of other things i want to do ... visit warwick castle and cadbury world, go see the scottish highlands and loch ness, see the eden project...take a long train trip somewhere just to experience it.  goodness, the list is long!
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be.
--Douglas Adams

• Well House Consultants - PHP Courses
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2003, 04:19:35 PM »
Driving back from a weekend in Ironbridge, Lisa and I were musing on "off the beaten track" places and wondered about doing a book of them - great spots, buty not greatly know ... also known as "where should we take our visitors from the USA to show them the real England.

I expect we're too busy to do the book ... so I'll share my PERSONAL list.  Where would you add?   Is there anywhere on my list that would suggest that peopele NOT visit??

Countryside

* Marlborough Downs
* Marsworth and Dunstable Downs
* Petts Wood
* Isle of Wight
* Penmaenpool
* Matlock Bath
* Bettws y coed
* Box Hill
* Caithness
* Kennet and Avon canal walk

Towns and cities

* Devizes
* Norwich
* Cheltenham
* Oban
* Inverness
* Llandrindod Wells
* Salisbury
* Birmingham
* Lincoln
* Bristol

Rail

* Clapham Junction
* Bluebell Railway
* Settle and Carlisle
* Lynton and Lynmouth Cliff Railway
* Blackpool trams
* Manchester Central Museum
* Vale of Rheidol
* Glasgow to Mallaig
* National Railway Museum, York
* London to Bristol

Road

* The Long Mynd
* The Fosse Way
* Road to the Isles
* Bealach nam Ba
* Porlock
* The "M25"
* New Forest Byways
* Heads of the Valleys
* Great Orme
* Mersey Tunnel

Water

* Thames Tunnel
* Portsmouth
* Waverley
* Crinan Canal
* Midlands Canal
* Isle of Inishmore
* Manchester Docks
* Caen Hill
* Slimbridge
* Transporter Bridge

Industrial

* Blist's Hill and Ironbridge
* Bristol Industrial Museum
* Science Museum
* Clifton Suspension Bridge
* Llechwedd slave caverns
* The Big Pit
* Falls of Cruachan
* Greenwich
* Morewellham

Food

* Black Pudding
* Haggis
* Spotted Dick
* Traditional English Breakfast
* Cadbury's dairy milk chocolate
* Cream Tea
* Kippers or smoked mackerel
* Fish and Chips
* Roast Beef and Yorkshire Pudding
* Rhubarb and custard

History

* Avebury
* Tintagel
* The Ripper Walk
* Conway
* Warwick
* Farleigh Hungerford Castle
* Weymouth Castle
* Hadrian's Wall
* Llangollen
* Charlestown

Others ...

* Enginirium
* Chessington World of Adventure
* Cholderton Rare Breeds farm
* Kew Gardens
* Gweek Seal Sanctuary
* Silverstone
* Larkhill
* Car Boot sale
* Longleat
* Weston Super Mare

Places that didn't quite make the regular lists

[Either they're not off the beaten track, or they're not open
in general]

* London
* Warwick Castle
* Lacock
* Science Museum Stores
* Bath
* Stratford upon Avon
* Edinburgh
* Our home in Melksham
* Tower Bridge
* Eden Project
-- Graham
Well House Consultants - Open Source training
Well House Manor - Hotel in Melksham, Wiltshire

• Unavailable for Comment.
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2003, 05:34:50 PM »

[smiley=stop.gif] right there!

We are not attacking you.  We just wanted you to explain your comment.

It sounds to me like you are. I simply make a comment and you pounce on it. And then you accuse me of not being over the book club thread. Where did that come from?
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2003, 01:09:50 PM »
If you want to see a beautiful village.  Visit Culross in Scotland.  It is absolutely amazing.  Cobblestone Streets and all.  If you want a quick peek go to Google and then click on the tab that says Images.  Beyond words.....

• Rhia's hubby -  the new start in life for me
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2003, 03:07:21 AM »
   Taking a houseboat around the Norfolk Broads especially good for anglers.

Lyme Regis on the south coast (where scenes from an officer and gentleman were filmed) take a walk along the Cobb, although the beach is a pebble one.

Chard in somerset, with Cricket St Thomas wildlife and adventure park very close - Chard is the home of powered flight.

Trips into the yorkshire dales.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab