Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: No such thing as a quick shower  (Read 1842 times)

No such thing as a quick shower
« on: June 15, 2003, 05:11:17 PM »
I visited the UK at least once a year before we moved here and I was already aware that there is no such thing as a quick shower.  The water pressure here is horrible.  It has the force of being spit on!  Will an electric shower help?

Also it it just my in-laws house or is it everywhere that you get spit on in the shower but there is enough water pressure in the kitchen sink to rip the skin off my hands!  ::)

Kathy

• Liked: 0
Re: No such thing as a quick shower
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2003, 05:27:57 PM »
Water pressure (in houses) in the UK is mostly a function of the height of the "header tank" above the faucet, and as most showers are upstairs the height of the tank above the shower unit isn't that great.  It is also slightly worse if the shower/ faucet is on the far side of the house from the tank.

I don't think that a power shower will help unless you find one with a pump (and I haven't seen one like that), as the "power" is only used to heat the cold inflow water.

The exception the above is often the kitchen faucet, which is typically connected directly to the mains supply, and not be fed from the tank.  This is so that drinking water and water used in food washing and preparation hasn't been upstairs in the (open-topped/ unsealed) header tank.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2003, 05:31:06 PM by Mr_Val »
Richard

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
mean.
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2003, 06:37:04 PM »
K, we've got great water pressure, so I think it's a matter of the setup you have right now. We use a combi-boiler for all our water and house heating, which shouldn't be confused with a power shower. My preference, I love a combi boiler. Basically it's a gas boiler that will only heat the water when there's demand for hot water, so it's not sitting in storage in your attic (or wherever) waiting to be used...the "standard" boiler heats up water and holds it until you need it. I don't find that as efficient.

As far as power showers go, they are pumps which assist gravity-fed water supplies, such as the "standard" system (water storage in the attic) I mentioned above, and are not visible unless your plumber has played a cruel trick on you. Since we don't use gravity-fed water, we don't need one.

I think Mr_Val's "power shower" is actually what I usually think of as being a "geyser" shower, a unit just beside the showerhead that heats, but does very little pumping except to restrict water flow to make it "feel" like you're getting more water.

I'm not sure I made sense in this. When you come over on the 5th, I'll show you what I mean.

But generally, I find no water pressure probs except for the same percentage as what happens in the US. In other words, it's not a country thing...but up to the individual house. I think it's just your in-law's house.
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

Re:  mean.
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2003, 07:11:01 PM »
.... I think Mr_Val's "power shower" is actually what I usually think of as being a "geyser" shower, .....

Lisa is right (ouch, that was painful! ;D).  I have been away and had a look for some more info, and TechFlow has a FAQ page that explains the different types of shower available in the UK.  

Powershowers do have pumps, though, contrary to what Lisa said, some are designed to be installed on the wall inside the shower cubicle.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2003, 07:11:52 PM by Mr_Val »
Richard

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2003, 08:08:31 PM »
We actually have a power shower!  And it is on the inside of the cubicle, but out of the way of the water hitting it constantly.

Also, I always have a fast shower and am usually done in about ten minutes, that's body, hair and everything washed! :P  Sometimes (like Saturday) I had to have a really fast shower and was done in 5 minutes!

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2003, 01:44:22 AM »
.... that's body, hair and ......

Thank heavens you remembered the comma, eh, Nef?  ;D
Richard

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2003, 01:58:52 AM »
yes although I did clean the "body hair!" too lol

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab