Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: LIST: Things you wish you had brought with you  (Read 103681 times)

• Liked: 533
Re: LIST: Things you wish you had brought with you
« Reply #270 on: December 31, 2014, 11:58:21 AM »
Well you bakers are a bit "different" anyhow...it is science as much as art...

I have always wanted to ask about ovens and such, whether anyone has had trouble adjusting. The only thing I bake is buttermilk biscuits and I can't get them quite right. They are OK, but a bit puckish..
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 584
Re:
« Reply #271 on: December 31, 2014, 05:54:08 PM »
Lyonaria, you mentioned needing space to store 'a set' of scales.  My kitchen scale is small and flat...about the size and thickness of a small/individual pizza or a small dinner plate.

• Liked: 3589
Re:
« Reply #272 on: December 31, 2014, 06:06:20 PM »
Lyonaria, you mentioned needing space to store 'a set' of scales.  My kitchen scale is small and flat...about the size and thickness of a small/individual pizza or a small dinner plate.

Same here - my electronic scale lives on the kitchen counter top in the corner (although I'm constantly moving it around when I cook)... it's circular, about 8 inches in diameter and about 3 inches high with the bowl on top (it looks like this one).

• Liked: 537
« Reply #273 on: December 31, 2014, 10:25:14 PM »
*grins* Ksand and Albatross you should see the size of my "kitchen." It's just a tiny portion of my living space. I have about 4 square feet of counter space and 2 smallish cabinets to hold everything from food stuffs to cooking/baking things to plates/glasses/mugs etc) . My home is essentially a tiny studio apartment. We're waiting for the lease to be up to move to a bigger place.

Well you bakers are a bit "different" anyhow...it is science as much as art...

I have always wanted to ask about ovens and such, whether anyone has had trouble adjusting. The only thing I bake is buttermilk biscuits and I can't get them quite right. They are OK, but a bit puckish..

My issue with ovens, so far, has been that it's an electric convection oven and it's taken some time for me to get the hang of cooking things in it. I overcooked quite a different things when I first moved over. They turned to charcoal on the edges, it was gross. And learning what the different Celsius temps are has been fun.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 63
« Reply #274 on: January 02, 2015, 09:46:06 AM »
Baking IS a science.....  ;D - as Emeril Lagasse said, "it's a formula, don't mess with it".

Back in the Dark Ages, some of us did learn ratios about the amount of "raising agent" to flour and shortening to sugar. The beauty of American Standard Measure (cups/spoons) is that it's easier than weighing, and less subject to goofs if you're just pouring flour into a bowl that has other stuff already in.

I hate fan ovens for baking. About 21 years ago, I bought a little book specific to fan ovens, but still find it doesn't quite do the job. Using the mantra "lower the temperature by 20 degrees" is fine as a general guide, but baking is best in a static oven. A true convection oven is sort of o.k. IMHO, but few of the 'fan ovens' here are true convection ovens.

I keep a temperature conversion chart handy, but even after all these years, I still have to watch to make sure whatever I'm baking isn't rising too fast, browning too much, or worst yet, NOT doing what it should....like a pumpkin pie that doesn't "set" properly.
Married December 1992 (my 'old flame' whom I first met in the mid-70s)
1st move to UK - 1993 (Letter of Consent granted at British Embassy in Washington DC)
ILR - 1994 (1 year later - no fee way back then!)
Back to US in 2000
Returned to UK July 2011 (Spousal Visa/KOL endorsement)
ILR - September 2011
Application for naturalization submitted July 2014
Approval received 15-10-14; ceremony scheduled for 10 November!
Passport arrived 25 November 2014. Finally done!

• Liked: 533
« Reply #275 on: January 02, 2015, 10:07:48 AM »
I hate fan ovens for baking.

I'll admit my fan oven cooks quickly...but there are hot spots.....I know where they are now and can move stuff about, but that is terrible for baking because you lose so much heat every time you open the door.

But a frozen pizza....to borrow another of Lagasse's bon mots...BAM!, it's done in like 9 minutes...
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 134
« Reply #276 on: January 02, 2015, 02:17:29 PM »
One of the best purchases that I have made here is a magnet from Marks and Spencer's that has the baking conversions listed on it.  I use it all the time, especially for liquid measurements.  The thing that absolutely boggles my mind is that all the sets of measuring spoons that I've bough here have all been too big to fit into the ingredient containers!  I end of measuring everything with the half-teaspoon.
Met Mr. Beatlemania: 20 Jan 2010
Tier 4 Visa Approved: 17 Sep 2012
Spousal Visa Received:  22 Sep 2014
Ohio to Essex: 26 October 2014
FLR(M): 10 May 2017
ILR: 23 October 2019
Citizenship: 6 September 2022

• Liked: 63
« Reply #277 on: January 02, 2015, 05:33:46 PM »
After my mother passed last May, I was sorting out some stuff and found just such a magnet - something she had likely received as a 'gift' when she ordered a cookbook or something similar. It was in a drawer and likely she never had reason to use it.

Useful for me, and just a little "bit" from my mother's kitchen. It now lives on the door of our refrigerator.
Married December 1992 (my 'old flame' whom I first met in the mid-70s)
1st move to UK - 1993 (Letter of Consent granted at British Embassy in Washington DC)
ILR - 1994 (1 year later - no fee way back then!)
Back to US in 2000
Returned to UK July 2011 (Spousal Visa/KOL endorsement)
ILR - September 2011
Application for naturalization submitted July 2014
Approval received 15-10-14; ceremony scheduled for 10 November!
Passport arrived 25 November 2014. Finally done!

• Liked: 7
« Reply #278 on: July 29, 2016, 07:11:06 PM »
I'm in the process of downsizing and thinking about what to keep/ pack. I know my DVDs won't play over there, but I want to take a small dvd player too, and was just going to use an adapter. Didn't think about voltage though, what do I need so it will work? Thanks!

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #279 on: July 29, 2016, 07:23:41 PM »
I'm in the process of downsizing and thinking about what to keep/ pack. I know my DVDs won't play over there, but I want to take a small dvd player too, and was just going to use an adapter. Didn't think about voltage though, what do I need so it will work? Thanks!

We brought our DVDs with us and bought a multi-region player when we got here. 

• Liked: 3589
« Reply #280 on: July 29, 2016, 07:28:34 PM »
We brought our DVDs with us and bought a multi-region player when we got here.

Also, if you have a laptop with a DVD player, the VLC Player is region-free and will play all DVDs without you needing to switch the laptop region.

• Liked: 5
« Reply #281 on: April 16, 2017, 03:02:06 PM »
Blue jeans!!!  I was floored by the prices here and I am sorry I did not bring 20 pair. I bought my favorites Wrangler regular fit on Amazon UK,  paying duty on them and still cheaper than buying here.

• Liked: 672
« Reply #282 on: June 12, 2017, 07:51:15 AM »
Our small bedroom radios - we left them behind because their plugs were US mains. The cost of replacing them here is almost triple the cost of what we paid for them in the USA - should have brought them and just used the travel transformers we have.

We also left a big metal Sunbeam stand mixer, the kind that lasts forever, for the same reason. Can't get Sunbeam here, and what is here is not exactly good looking and, again, much more expensive than getting one in the States (assuming one could find a good old made-of-metal mixer). I hate plastic kitchen appliances....

• Moving to London area late 2019 - early 2020
    • Our band - Ockham's Razor
  • Liked: 42
« Reply #283 on: October 01, 2017, 01:59:43 AM »
This list has been going since 2002 (I believe) and I wonder how peoples experiences are now with sites like Amazon being able to ship product?

Many things like Crockpots, US measuring cups, ziploc bags, Ranch dressing, etc. are on Amazon UK so I'm thinking its gotten a little easier to replace things? Just curious.

I've definitely heard that its best to leave most things with a plug and just budget to replace them in the UK (with the exception of things like cellphone/ipad chargers, or little things like that.

• Liked: 57
« Reply #284 on: October 02, 2017, 12:22:40 PM »
This list has been going since 2002 (I believe) and I wonder how peoples experiences are now with sites like Amazon being able to ship product?

Many things like Crockpots, US measuring cups, ziploc bags, Ranch dressing, etc. are on Amazon UK so I'm thinking its gotten a little easier to replace things? Just curious.

I've definitely heard that its best to leave most things with a plug and just budget to replace them in the UK (with the exception of things like cellphone/ipad chargers, or little things like that.

Yes, it's true it is MUCH easier to find American products in the UK now with Amazon, Costco, etc. However, we were sad to find out in another group that Costco UK has ended their agreement with Ziploc and are no longer carrying the bags. Ziplocs on Amazon UK are prohibitively expensive (the 347 variety pack for example is $20 on Amazon and £39.80 on Amazon UK). I have told my husband to go easy on the quart ziplocs until I can make my trip to the US in December!

The nice thing is that I can find MOST things I crave, for a price. I just wish I could figure out how to get refrigerated stuff over!
Met at Disneyland Paris: spring 1995
Dated long distance: off & on 2008-2014
Our twin boys were born: Sep 2009
Engaged: Oct 10 2014
Married: December 5 2014
Online Application & paid PRIORITY Submitted: Dec 22 2014
Visa Received: Jan 14 2015
Arrived in the UK: Feb 28 2015
FLR(M) application mailed: Sep 12 2017
FLR(M) approved: Oct 27
SET(M) application submitted: Feb 4 2020 (super priority)
SET(M) appointment: Mar 9
SET(M) approved: Mar 10
Naturalisation app submitted: Jun 19
No biometrics needed email: July 23

Sponsored Links