Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Hello!  (Read 790 times)

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
  • Liked: 0
Hello!
« on: June 17, 2003, 12:59:14 AM »
Honestly, I feel a little wierd making a post just to introduce me, but everyone else seems alright with it.  :)

I'm just an American looking for work in the UK.  It sure is a lot harder than I expected, but with my background in IT, and a lot of "legwork" on the Internet, I am confident I will be able to meet my goal of living and working in the UK.

This place looks to be a great resource, and the people here seem wonderful so far.  

• Bo Selecta!!
Re: Hello!
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2003, 01:03:37 AM »
Hello...

Welcome to the boards!  :D :D
...We're not bad people.;D

• Liked: 24
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2003, 12:42:34 PM »
Hello Joe, welcome. :) Best of luck in your job hunt, I'm sure that you'll attain your goal with such a positive attitude.  [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Thanks for doing the intro even if it felt weird, it helps us find out about you, and saves you having to answer the same questions so many times. ;)

Which area of IT are you in? There seems to be a lot of members/spouses in this forum in the IT field.

• Garden Butterflies
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2003, 04:35:02 PM »
Hello Joe, glad to have you join us...  we are a nice group of people with a wide variety of info all around.

Good luck on your job hunt...  I am not over there yet (November 2003) and I do feel some anguish about finding a job...  I have been a cms analyst at NASA for going on 9 years now and I know there will not be anything in my field once there.  Especially since I will be living up near newcastle upon tyne.  

I have resolved to just finding a local job that helps with the house bills...  but I fear that will even be difficult the way I hear things on here.

I have been told though that IT jobs are the best to get... depending on your area of expertise... just keep at it, I am sure it will come to you.

shel

Logic is one thing, it keeps us in control!
But the heart only knows one, which is the  
depths of our soul!

• wench
  • Gin-soaked Floozie

• Caution: wench on board
    • Wenchstead
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2003, 05:55:28 PM »
Welcome to the board Joe.  :)  What made you decide on England?  
wench
Ask and ye shall be babbled at.

• Liked: 1
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2003, 09:32:21 PM »
Welcome Joe!  

Sorry about being a bit late in adding this, but I just wanted to say that anything is possible if you just stick to it.  

I'm sure you will find people on here that will be able to help you in your quest to move to the UK.
The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2003, 12:34:28 AM »
Thanks for the great welcome!

The majority of my experience is with the Hardware side of Systems Administration, in addition to website management and implementation.  I also have a few years of support under my belt, but I'm not really looking for a support role (although all IT and computer related jobs have a little support it seems  ;) )

I picked the UK because I'm looking for something different, and it can't get more different than the UK.  The US is great, but I'm young, excited, and ready for something new.  

I am already registered with a few of the job hunting pages, and I am still doing my research.  It's pretty hard, but a site like this proves that I'm not the only American that wants/wanted to live and work in the UK.

• Living by the sea with the man of my dreams!
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2003, 03:55:29 AM »
Hi Joe and welcome to UKY!  Best of luck to you!   I'm sure you'll find a way to find a job and get moved over to the UK.  This is a great site for lots of good information, conversation and fun!  Best of luck to you!

-Sandy   :)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2003, 03:59:38 AM by runner1 »
Life should NOT be a journey to the
grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well
preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand,
wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and
screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2003, 04:09:30 AM »
Welcome Joe  :) people here are so very nice , you'll love this site

Wild ..
Laugh, Love & Be Happy ...life is to short for anything else..

Sponsored Links