Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: English stuff  (Read 1820 times)

English stuff
« on: June 19, 2003, 12:00:15 AM »
So, it seems that this particular area of the forum is almost dead at present.  In an effort to start up a little something and of course in the advent of the new Harry Potter book out in about 3 days, I would like to ask the question:  If you have a preference in writing, who is your favourite British author and why?

I know this is a book thread, but damn it the spouse house has been way to quite lately!

• Unavailable for Comment.
  • Liked: 0
Re: English stuff
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2003, 03:59:59 PM »
That's a hard question to answer, because history has spat out so many fantastic British writers.

I love Dickens, Austen, Hardy, the Brontes, Shakespeare (I'm a classics nut).

My favorite book of all time is Tess of the D'Ubervilles by Thomas Hardy but if I had to chose an all time favorite writer, it'd be Jane Austen because I've never read a bad book she's written. She writes so beautfully and really sucks the reader into the world she's created.
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2003, 04:51:25 PM »
Marek Kohn.......brilliant........just finished reading Dope Girls, a great account of the drug culture in early 20th century London, .....fascinating stuff.

• Witchiepoo
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2003, 03:05:30 AM »
Marek Kohn.......brilliant........just finished reading Dope Girls, a great account of the drug culture in early 20th century London, .....fascinating stuff.

Try Irvine Welsh, the guy that wrote Trainspotting.  Most of his books do focus on the drug culture. But be warned, some of it can be rather 'strong'.

My favourite British writers? Nick Hornby, Ben Elton, Edith Pargeter.

I absolutely adore Roddy Doyle.  I know he's not British, but I had never heard of him until I came to Britain. ;)
Insert wonderfully creative signature here …

• Morris Plains, NJ to London to Oxshott Surrey
    • Our home
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2003, 02:47:43 AM »
Sophie Kinsela.

Well, It's the only novel I've read since my move to the UK and she mentions Oxshott..

Just kidding.

I'm a huge Jane Austen fan.

Sponsored Links