Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Age and Health Questions  (Read 1206 times)

• Living by the sea with the man of my dreams!
  • Liked: 0
Age and Health Questions
« on: June 19, 2003, 07:52:55 AM »
Are employers allowed to ask questions about your age and any health issues you've had/have?  In the US, as I'm sure you all know, there are very definite rules and regs on what employers can ask regarding these issues...just wondered if it's the same or similiar in the UK.

Thanks,

Sandy
Life should NOT be a journey to the
grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well
preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand,
wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and
screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

• Unavailable for Comment.
Re: Age and Health Questions
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2003, 01:00:12 PM »
Yep, they can ask. In fact, it's normal for people to put this information on their CV.
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2003, 01:48:27 PM »
Y,know thats an interesting question.....In the U.S an employer isnt prohibited from asking those questions (age and health related) but rather theyre prohibited from using certain criteria in their hiring practices because of age discrimination laws ,the Americans with Disabilities Act ,and who has access to your medical information.... now you've got me wondering if there's a British equivilant to the A.C.L.U which (like em or not) has spearheaded a lot of these changes over the years? Somehow I believe the changes to questions pertaining to your health has to be worded in a certain way.

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2003, 04:08:42 PM »
I went on a diversity in the workplace course last year and was shocked at some of the things I learned about UK employment laws.  It's perfectly legal to ask employment agencies to find you 'someone young', for example.  The definition of 'accessiblity for handicapped' is amazing.  WHen I asked if public transport was exempt from this rule, the answer was no and that they were just about complete with their 'accessiblity' on the tube, etc.   :o  

It's almost impossible for perfectly abled people with kids to get buggies and strollers on the tube....let along people in wheelchairs, etc.  I've never *once* seen anyone in a wheelchair on it.  There's no way they'd manage!

So the answer is no, there's nothing like the ADA here....no where near it.

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2003, 04:20:18 PM »
Thats one thing I worry about going to the UK with my youngest she's in a wheelchair , we're going over to visit in just a few short weeks and I'm not sure how it will all go , even the cars are so much smaller  :-/..I do know if and when we move there I will fight for her rights to be as Independent as possible !
Laugh, Love & Be Happy ...life is to short for anything else..

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2004, 12:08:27 PM »
FYI....my friend is a labor lawyer in the UK and she said that in December 2006 it will become illegal to be age bias when hiring employees in the UK.   Just a bit late for me...I have already been told I am the perfect candidate for the position I applying for but too young!

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2004, 07:05:08 PM »
it amazed me to see my fiance's marital status on his CV!

that and the fact they can ask religion!!

Sponsored Links