Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: What a seriously "taxing" issue!!  (Read 843 times)

• Contraltos do it lower....
    • Forever Autumn
  • Liked: 0
What a seriously "taxing" issue!!
« on: February 05, 2005, 07:39:02 PM »
Ok...all this tax stuff really frustrates me in a big way.  >:( Can someone please break it down and explain to me exactly what - if anything - I have to pay to the States (which, it really annoys me that I have to pay a damn thing to a country where I am NOT living and working) if I have, say,  only a part time job, 20 hours a week or less, making say 6 pounds an hour?  I mean, is it even worth working at all if I am going to have to owe taxes to my own country where I'm not living, working, or contributing one iota?  Is it actually better not to have a job?  If I get a job, would I, in a sense, just be wearing myself out every day for NOTHING?  Inquiring minds need to know.
I was born in the Summer and at Night...my mother named me AUTUMN DAWN.  True story.

Jamie's...beyond the stars and past eternity.

EMAIL or PM me for information about gigs or about booking me (solo gig) or the band.

• Liked: 0
Re: What a seriously "taxing" issue!!
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2005, 08:02:36 PM »
Unfortunately, as a US citizen, you have to file your tax return regardless of where you live.  If you made less than $80k in 2004, and paid tax in the UK, you will most likely be exempt from paying US tax, but you still have to fill your return.

bvamin

• Liked: 8
Re: What a seriously "taxing" issue!!
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2005, 10:11:31 PM »
The only income you'll need to pay tax on is any you've earned in the US in 2004.  Your foreign income under $80,000 is excluded.  If you didn't live (or work) in the US during 2004 you won't need to pay anything (though you should always file).

You can elect to file jointly with your husband -- you'll need to apply for an ITIN (individual tax identfication number) for him on form W-7 (and you'll need to declare his income, obviously).  If you want to file separately, you just write "non-resident alien" where it asks for his SSN.

Sponsored Links