Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Tips for Applying?  (Read 1950 times)

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
  • Liked: 0
Tips for Applying?
« on: June 20, 2003, 09:54:19 PM »
So, as those of you who read my intro are aware, I'm looking for IT work in the UK.

I realise that this is a pretty long shot, but I'm going to give it a try anyway, I must be a sucker for punishment  ;D

I'm wondering if anyone has any tips to make my CV look more attractive to UK employers?  I've already taken the time to register with some employment agencies (reed.co.uk being the main one right now) and I've made sure my CV is up to date, and accurate, but I'm wondering if there is something I'm missing.

For instance, would a resumé from the US look different than a UK CV?

More importantly, could my CV be preventing me from being considered?

Any help you can provide would be greatly apprecieated.  Thanks!

• Unavailable for Comment.
Re: Tips for Applying?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2003, 08:39:56 PM »
Hi Joe,

From what I've seen, CV's and Resumes are really the same thing. If you're applying with agencies, they're going to create a new CV from the information you gave them and that's what they'll send the employers. So you don't need to worry about that.

Unless your CV is so ridiculously written up, it's not going to make an enormous difference to the employer. I notice you're still in the US. If you can't work immediatly here, that'll make a difference. Employers will rarely take a second look at an applicant who can't work here legally. You need to look into a visa before you look into work.

I'm a little concerned for you because you want to come here on a work visa and the IT business is really bad at the moment (I asked hubby, he's in IT). I can't say with authority, but I think, even with your credentials, you'll find it difficult, if not impossible, to find work in the UK.

However, don't give up if it's what you really want.  Have you looked into American companies willing to employ and send you to the UK?
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2003, 06:40:28 AM »
I had read that one should get the job first, then the employer gets the work permit for you.  Sounds like that is not correct. ?   ??? I think I read it in a link from this site.  Hmm...
DH is in IT, so your information is very helpful. Thanks!
Someday, after we have mastered the winds, the waves, the tides and gravity, we shall harness for God the energies of love. Then for the second time in the history of the world, we will have discovered fire.

Tielhard de Chardin

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2003, 11:46:24 PM »
Hi Joe,

From what I've seen, CV's and Resumes are really the same thing. If you're applying with agencies, they're going to create a new CV from the information you gave them and that's what they'll send the employers. So you don't need to worry about that.

Unless your CV is so ridiculously written up, it's not going to make an enormous difference to the employer. I notice you're still in the US. If you can't work immediatly here, that'll make a difference. Employers will rarely take a second look at an applicant who can't work here legally. You need to look into a visa before you look into work.

Are you sure about that?  All the information I have found led me to believe that I needed to get work and working papers first, then come to the country.  I was under the impression that if I had working papers, a visa was unnecessary.

I'm a little concerned for you because you want to come here on a work visa and the IT business is really bad at the moment (I asked hubby, he's in IT). I can't say with authority, but I think, even with your credentials, you'll find it difficult, if not impossible, to find work in the UK.

From what I've seen on the employment sites (reed.co.uk for one) there are gobs of IT jobs that fit my criteria, and salary range.  Now, whether they want to hire an American or not is another story entirely ;)

However, don't give up if it's what you really want.  Have you looked into American companies willing to employ and send you to the UK?

It is what I really want, and I have done some looking into American companies, but there aren't any (that I can find) that are looking for IT people to go to the UK for anyreason.

• Unavailable for Comment.
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2003, 02:38:14 AM »
Are you sure about that?  All the information I have found led me to believe that I needed to get work and working papers first, then come to the country.  I was under the impression that if I had working papers, a visa was unnecessary.

Oooh, I have the word no screaming in my head.  I'm by no means an expert at this, so you really need to contact the Home Office, where they can give you a straight answer, but from what I understand, and what I've been told, you, under no circumstances, are allowed to look for work unless you have a visa. The only time a visa is unnecessary is if you're coming as a tourist (and are visiting less than 6 months).

From what I've seen on the employment sites (reed.co.uk for one) there are gobs of IT jobs that fit my criteria, and salary range.  Now, whether they want to hire an American or not is another story entirely

Everyone wants to hire Americans, hun, we're the cream of the crop.  [smiley=mad.gif]

Check with Home Office. Or phone up an immigration attorney. Always check with the authorities (and although I sometimes like to pretend I am... I'm really not.  ;) )
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2003, 04:19:06 AM »
Huh, I guess I will need a Visa.  Oh well, off to the applications I go.  

Is it this hard to enter the US for purposes of employment I wonder?

EDIT: I'm not crazy! I went to this page: http://www.britainusa.com/visas/visas.asp [nofollow]

And it said I do need a visa, and to click here for the information about it.  It took me to this page: http://www.britainusa.com/visas/YesEmplo.asp [nofollow]

Which only mentions work permits.

Funky.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2003, 04:21:16 AM by Joe »

Sponsored Links