Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: How do schools work  (Read 1575 times)

How do schools work
« on: June 24, 2003, 03:14:23 AM »
We are in the process of starting to look to buy a house but our primary concern is the school system.  We have a 5 year old boy who has developmental delays.  He is socially not at his age level as well as some fine and gross motor skills.  He was attending a special preschool in the states.

I just don't know how schools work and my husband is of no help!  So...what does it mean when a school is over subscribed?  What school will your child go to...meaning there are so many little village do kids commute to school etc.?  I am totally clueless.  We are looking at the greater Milton Keynes area especially a town called Towcester.  I have been to the website   www.ofsted.co.uk and it was helpful in telling me somethings about the surrounding schools but how do I know which school he will go to?  Can I request a school?  Does anyone know if they will give special consideration placement to a child with special needs?

Oh to be starting kinderrgarten and know what was ahead of me somewhat.  I hate being clueless especially when it comes to my kids

Thanks for any help....hope you can understand my ramble/rant

Kathy

• Witchiepoo
  • Liked: 3
Re: How do schools work
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2003, 01:18:00 PM »
So...what does it mean when a school is over subscribed?

They already have the maximum amount of children in the school.  It usually means that they will not accept any more children.

What school will your child go to...meaning there are so many little village do kids commute to school etc.?

They usually try to keep smaller children in local schools, but if the space is full then yes, they will have to commute.  However, if the distance is greater than x (can't remember the exact distance), then the local education authority is responsible for paying for transport.

We are looking at the greater Milton Keynes area especially a town called Towcester.  I have been to the website   www.ofsted.co.uk and it was helpful in telling me somethings about the surrounding schools but how do I know which school he will go to?  Can I request a school?  Does anyone know if they will give special consideration placement to a child with special needs?

I would start by calling your education authority and explaining your concerns and your child's special needs.  They should be able to help you in making the best choice and explaining a few things about the education system.  Try this website: http://www.northamptonshire.gov.uk/Governing/Education.htm

This website also gives you some information on education in the Northamptonshire area: http://www.northants-ecl.gov.uk/apps/hme.asp

Hopefully this will at least get you started in the right direction.  Good luck!
Insert wonderfully creative signature here …

Sponsored Links