Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Gone Walkies  (Read 2136 times)

• Liked: 1
Gone Walkies
« on: June 27, 2003, 08:53:09 PM »
I just have to share this nifty little book Mfred recommended.  I still have not finished reading it, but have been chuckling all along.  Best thing is I really want to go and walk the Coastal Path now.

It's all about a guy who walks the SouthEast from Minehead to Poole in Dorset and covers the 500 miles.

Really neat. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Oh..guess I should tell you what it is called!
500 Mile Walkies by Mark Wallington..you can buy it used only on Amazon.com US or UK!
The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

• Liked: 1
Re: Gone Walkies
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2003, 05:24:48 AM »
Actually it's not.  It's actually a story of the guy walking the trail and some of the interesting peeps he and his very ugly ugly dog encounter along the way.

It's a light read and cute. Would make a good airplane book.

Not an epic by any means.  Still have not read it all the way through.
The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

• Garden Butterflies
  • Liked: 0
Re: Gone Walkies
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2003, 03:42:12 PM »
Vnicepeeps...  I can not believe I missed this post...

500 mile walkies is about a guy that takes this walk to impress a girl...  and he takes a friends (very Ugly) dog with him to keep him company...  it is a factual walk with a bit of fictional humor added to it.

If you love a light read and enjoy laughing...  this is a great little book...and actually series...  below are the names of sequencial books that followed this walk.

These books are favorites of Tom since he is a walker...  Over last winter and when I had DSL...  he read to me, 500 mile walkies and most of Boogie up the river over netmeeting cam time. I will need to wait for the rest of Boogie up the river since I have dial up now and the interferrence is not great for a reading session.

The books give a very vivid and visual concept that you can almost see every step he took...  By the time Tom finished 500 mile walkies to me, I was begging him to take me on the same walk so I could see the beauty I was imagining. as well as a nice boat trip holiday...  :)

Boogie up the River - is the second of books, telling how they took a boat ride up the Thames to find the source...

Travels with Boogie- two books in one... 500 mile walkies and Boogie up the river.

Pennine Walkies: One Small Step for Man, One Giant Leap for Dogkind...  Not read this one yet...but look forward to hering it once I am in England.

These books are easier to find through Amazon.co.uk...  as Amazon.com only has one of them...  they are all out of print...but used copies can be found...  I have already shipped my boogie up the river to England...  but since Tom already has the series...I will gladly be adding mine to library collection once I get organized there.

If you follow them through the sequence...  you will also catch a small storyline that involves the dog and also the girl he is trying to impress.  you will cheer on the dog and bad mouth the girl...LOL!

Logic is one thing, it keeps us in control!
But the heart only knows one, which is the  
depths of our soul!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab