Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: from Ohio to North Wales?  (Read 2826 times)

• Up, up and away!
  • Liked: 0
from Ohio to North Wales?
« on: June 20, 2002, 02:31:19 PM »
Hi everyone!  I'm new to these things, but I've been marooned here in North Wales for 7 months!  I am in my late twenties and recently married a wonderful Geordie lad.  Our relationship is great, but my life is in a bit of flux.  Any advice on how to cope?  (Other than sticking my head in the sand and pretending I'm just on a really long vacation, because I have that one down pat.)

Mary

Re: from Ohio to North Wales?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2002, 02:48:33 PM »
ooh, poor you.  North Wales is really the back of beyond.  No good advise for that but welcome to the board.  There's alot of nice supportive people here who are really helpful.   :)  
« Last Edit: June 20, 2002, 04:02:51 PM by 12yearsandcounting »

• Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2002, 03:11:06 PM »
Hello!  My trick is to just take one day at a time.  I know I've been getting ahead of myself recently and I've not been a happy camper.   Everyone copes differently.   I had to go through several phases till I found one that worked for me.

How did you meet your husband?  It is an unstated rule on this board that all the new members have to "fess up"  :D
'Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.' - Emerson

• Up, up and away!
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2002, 03:49:04 PM »
Thanks!  

Back when I had a productive life, I worked for a company called ABB in Columbus.  My husband works for ABB UK.  He was in town last year on a training course and we met (of course) in a pub.  A year and a month later we were married.  I'm sure we all have similar stories, or we wouldn't do something as extreme as move here, but it was like magic.  Now I'm here and the fairy-tale is becoming something else.  Not quite sure what, but being carried away to a castle has drawbacks they don't mention in the stories - like not having top sheets and no Zero bars (hell, there's no zero here, either!).

• Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2002, 04:03:14 PM »
Just take one day at a time and try not to go insane from boredome! I don't have much advice, but welcome to the site  :D

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2002, 04:54:39 PM »
Hiya Mary. :) Glad to see you found the forum, this is a great plaec to unload if you need to - lots of people in similar situations for sure. I, for one, like the head in the sand idea. What do you do - fill your sink up with sand then? Or your bathtub? ;)
I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2002, 06:07:01 PM »
Hi Mary. Nice to meet you.  ;)
How often have you got to go home to visit or have you at all? And if you do go home to visit does it make the homesickness worse or does it help?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2003, 07:04:19 AM by meli_snell »

• Up, up and away!
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2002, 06:53:24 PM »
Marlespo - I have a special 'bin' in which I stick my noggin'.  

Meli_snell - Good job finding this site before you come, not after!  I think South Wales is less isolated, so you should be a bit better off.  Be sure to move to a CITY.  or have a CAR.  Life here is very expensive, you're probably going to have to fight to get those tickets home (unless you are fabulously wealthy) and you probably won't feel like fighting for it.  I've been home once.  It was great and did make me feel better, but it did NOTHING to help me with getting a life here.  That's the really important part, I think - and the hardest part.  The Welsh aren't exactly hopping to make friends and my husband is a Geordie (he moved here just over a year ago, so he doesn't really have a life either - he just imported me!).  

Living here is great in many aspects - don't let my negativity scare you, okay?  It's when I'm out hiking and I see the beauty or I walk around in a town and feel the huge amount of history (or when I look into my husbands eyes) that I know it's all worth it.  It is very much worth it, we've just not planned very well.  Good luck to you both!

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2002, 08:16:50 PM »
The Welsh aren't exactly hopping to make friends

Sad, but true.  My ex-partner's brother lives in Valley (on the way to Holyhead).  I thought the landscape was beautiful, but the people are less than warm and friendly.  There's nothing like walking into a shop or a pub and the whole place suddenly switches gears, bursting into a cacaphony of Welsh!  

Oh, by the way ... welcome to UK Yankee, marykplummer.  Nice to meet you.  Hang around.  There's a great bunch of people here and there is always someone to share the ups and downs with.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2002, 08:18:18 PM by Elaine »

• Liked: 4
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2002, 12:44:53 AM »
hiya mary...WELCOME!!  i think we all can relate one way or another on being alone/isolated.  i've been here since october and still have those moments.  i totally agree with what has been said here... "One day at a time".  it's definitely being working for me, along with the support and encouragement from everyone here.  good luck and again ...welcome to our little family.  
"A nation which does not remember what it was yesterday does not know where it is today."
--Robert E. Lee

• what you talkin bout lewis?
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2002, 03:41:23 AM »
Im in South Wales....and I find the people here very friendly..
No problems finding some one to talk with..as a matter of fact...i talked with 2 ladies the whole time i was doin my food shopping...they were awsome...im on first name basis with quite a few taxi drivers....they ALL know where i live..dunt have to tell um anymore

But i have heard it can be kinda tuff up in N Wales...i was told the best way to warm them up is try to learn Welsh...but only if your willing to have them laff at your attempts.

http://www.cs.brown.edu/fun/welsh/Welsh.html

http://www.travlang.com/languages/cgi-bin/langchoice.cgi?page=main&lang1=english&lang2=welsh

try those 2 site to help you learn it...my in laws do have a good laff at me...but its all good  ::)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2002, 03:42:12 AM by Tamara_Thomas »
wann sum chocky chippy cookie dough?

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2002, 08:19:08 AM »
I'm no where near North Wales, but welcome to UKY!  

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2002, 11:06:52 AM »
Mary, I don't need to tell you North Wales is beautiful! Ah, but I used to live in paradise and now never want to go back. It's the people that make the place. (Yet the place makes the people.) Aside from hopping a train and meeting up with a group of us for a shopping adventure, hang out here. Talking with folks in my same situation has been a huge help. Even though my husband is my best friend in the whole world, there are just some things he can't understand the way the folks here can.
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

• I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them.
    • Our Site
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2002, 06:04:42 PM »
Hi there Mary,

I just found this board recently myself and like the others can relate to what you're saying.

Coping mechanisms - and contraindications.

1. Pretend it's a dream and none of it matters. (Only problem with this one is that it messes with your sleeping patterns.)

2. Block everything and everyone around you out. Go wherever you want to be in your head. (Caution - hubby's don't tend to like this one.)

Those are the first two I tried and they worked - for a while...and are truly meant to bring a small smile to ya.
:)

What I've found that helps is a hobby.  I do beadwork and hubby recently found an outlet for beads in England and ordered me a bunch.  I've been making earrings and people are genuinely interested when they see them - Where did you get those?  How did you make them?  It starts conversations and that's half the battle for me.

I'm not sure how it is where you are - but here they have night classes in differing types of dance - some just for the ladies only - another place to meet folks.

Having something small to break into pieces from time to time helps take the edge off - and most of all, this is an awesome opportunity to create a bond between yourself and your spouse that most people will never experience.  

(All Advice freely given - just please hand it back to me when I need it.)

Great you found the site as well!  :)

"I was working on the proof of one of my poems all the morning, and took out a comma. In the afternoon I put it back again." Oscar Wilde

• Liked: 24
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2002, 02:26:12 AM »
Hello Mary, welcome to our group.  :) I've been here 3 years now, and I haven't really made any friends (except those here recently), and go through moments of insanity (or PMS). There are good days and bad. The good outweigh the bad at least. I did take up a hobby, you're in it.  ;) This has been my coping strategy.

Glad you found us, I hope to meet you in chat some Tuesday evening soon.  :)

Leah

Sponsored Links