Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: introduction and thanks  (Read 584 times)

• Liked: 0
introduction and thanks
« on: June 28, 2003, 12:56:03 AM »
i was searching for information on dual citizenship and found this site. fabulous! i've just spent the last hour and a half reading messages and grievances and can't wait to read more.

i am coming up to my one year anniversary in england. my british husband and i arrived on july 9 2002 and i cannot believe it's been a year. he came to the usa for his phd and we worked at the same university in ohio. we came because we were both dreadfully unhappy there and wanted a change. he had not been back for ten years and his mother is quite poorly so we decided to give it a go. it hasn't been easy but i can't say it was a mistake. i'm hoping soon though to be able to say it was the best decision of my life.

our finances are the biggest problem. finding work was a way bigger problem than we thought it would be. i absolutely hate my job and make such little money (especially compared to my us salary) and my husband has had to sign up for a one year course to get the uk qualification to do what he was doing in the us for ten years. it's very frustrating.

on a lighter note, our dogs are home from quarantine, the scenery around me is quite breathtaking and it was a lovely 63 degrees here yesterday when it was a sweaty 92 in ohio. so i guess i can't complain...too much. i do miss taco bell and coke icees (a kind of slushy drink you get at wal-marts and gas stations). i used to buy three cokes icees a day and i can't believe it's now been a year since i've had one. it's a right tragedy!

both sets of my parents have been to visit and we've had one american friend and three british but in the us friends visit. my sister might be coming soon but my best friend in america has had trouble with a long distance friendship. it's not that we're growing apart but she has said it's hard for her to think of my being so far away and sometimes she feels too sad to call. has anyone else had a similar experience?

i work with children and so have had to learn the lingo and alter some of my pronunciations. i don't hear the difference in my voice but my american friends and family do.

i think i'll end here. i'm thankful for finding this place and will be spending my friday evening reading and reading.

christine

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
Re: introduction and thanks
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2003, 01:38:52 AM »
i do miss taco bell and coke icees (a kind of slushy drink you get at wal-marts and gas stations).

Oh girlfriend, you do not have to tell us the woes of no taco fast-food place, nor what icees are!! You're among your own kin now.  ;) So ditch that fake British accent and set a spell! The Midlands is gorgeous. Around what parts are you?

I too had a close friend who told me that she never checks email anymore, so our contact just dwindled to nothing. I think it's more a case of jealousy, and/or she may feel you've abandoned her. I know she's a really good friend, but since I don't know her I can throw out a silly remark like "true friends are happy for each other" and let you ponder that for a little bit.
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

• Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2003, 02:50:03 AM »
I echo LisaE's sentiments and have to say that I think I am going to have to bring a boatload of Mexican fast food and instant icee mixes to keep every body happy.  :)

I work with kids too in a tutoring service. If you don't mind me asking.... What do you do?

I can't really offer any sage advice on being in the UK as I have yet to make the leap across the pond with my British husband.  

We figured we would try it here first.

I wish you happy surfing and a warm welcome to our forum.

The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

• Living by the sea with the man of my dreams!
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2003, 02:51:41 AM »
Hi Midwest2eastmid.

Another midwesterner here (Illinois) born and raised, lived in the southwest and south (US) for a long time.  Just moved here to the UK a little over a week ago to join my English fiance.  

I'm transferring with my company (BT) and am very fortunate for that but know I will probably end up with a reduction in pay (my director advised of that)...I'm not really sure why that happens but it seems to be fairly common.  I originally had thought that whatever I was making in USD would be converted to GBP but it doesn't work that way.

Glad you found this site!  I think you'll find it helpful and possibly addictive as I have!  

-Sandy :)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2003, 02:52:36 AM by runner1 »
Life should NOT be a journey to the
grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well
preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand,
wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and
screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

• Liked: 24
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2003, 11:52:28 PM »
Hi Christine, I made the Midwest to Midlands move myself three ... *gasp* four years ago now, 4th anniversary of the move was the 1st of July, I'd forgotten it. Glad you found us, a big welcome to you. :)

Sponsored Links