Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Another HSMP Reject  (Read 1215 times)

• Why a duck?
  • Liked: 0
Another HSMP Reject
« on: March 04, 2005, 08:04:59 PM »
Wailly, wailly, wailly!  I don't know whether to laugh or cry!  I thought I would be the easiest to process HSMP applicant ever.  Instead of the 75 points I claimed, I got 25.

The good news is I got 25 points for my master's degree.  The bad news is incomprehensible to me.  I decided to go the simple route and claim 25 points for having 5 years experience in a graduate level job.  I have 15 years management experience, and for 10 years I was an Assistant Director at Harvard University.  I submitted an original letter from the University's HR officer detailing my 20 year history at HU--job titles, descriptions, and dates--and stating that my last position normally required a bachelor's degree.  The HRO even included a copy of the job posting that shows a bachelor's degree was required.  Zero points!  I gave them exactly what was asked for in the HSMP guidance notes.  What more can I do?

I was also awarded 0 points for my earnings because I supplied evidence for 2003, not 2004.  I've been living on savings since I was laid off.  I think (Oh, please, Visa Fairies!)  this situation will be OK because the HSMP FAQ says they will consider the last year worked. 

I am asking for a review of my original application.  I remember someone said that the Home Office have to be the heavies.  Are they testing me to see if I really want to move to the UK?

Thanks for letting me wail.  I'm off to the post office with me review request letter.
When I find a funnier sig than twistedncynical's, it will be here.

Re: Another HSMP Reject
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2005, 08:49:55 PM »

Wow...I am shocked beyond belief as I am sure you are! Maybe whoever reviewed your application was a "new starter", that is the only thing I can imagine. Aside from being from one of the most prestigious institutions in the world and your many years of experience I just don't get it? As for are they "testing you" as to whether you really want to be here...ha!...they should be happy to have an immigrant with such credentials!

Our resident expert Gary can give you the best advise.

Best of luck to you...I am sure it will turn out well...in the end....  ;)

Julie

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2005, 11:44:31 PM »
I am asking for a review of my original application.  I remember someone said that the Home Office have to be the heavies.  Are they testing me to see if I really want to move to the UK?

There's no test of determination or resolve.  If they refused you, then there's not even a right to appeal  :( 

You can get have up to two reviews of your app, but it's advisable not to go for a review on knee-jerk response to a refusal, but rather on a carefully laid out strategy - if that sounds pedantic, that's ok, because they are pedants from the very get-go.

Being out of work isn't exactly the strongest calling card for HSMP, and the strategy would be to shore-up that vulnerability by claiming the full points for 2003 and soft-padding 2004 with stuff they like to see when there's no earnings - self activities that have projections and what-not - leading to a more acceptable view on your 2003 earnings.  Even tho' it's soft, it still needs to be real, and few borderliners take this into account in devising their strategy. 

As an example, consider making the case that your employment is highly stable, but entry in to any given role is subject to cyclical variations.  And the cycle is currently against you.  They will buy into it if there's sufficient evidence - like a letter from a UK employment agency or so.  I bet you didn't think of that  :D

I've been helping a woman get an HSMP app together on a request from the constituency office, and from all outward appearances, it looks like a 100% green light - except for her very weak English - her English is appalling, but there's already a strategy in place about that so she has a strong app.  *BUT* I still need her to sort out all of the soft stuff also so we can include it.  Why?  Cuz preparing an app is not really the time for playing silly buggers reading their web site over and over again, but rather for coalescing a strategy that brings out the strong points and bolsters the weak points.  It takes some planning and contemplation.  So we'll include *all* of the stuff that's relevant. 

So I would take some time before going in to the review.  And get the stuff together so that when they make the review, you can hit a home run.  That's free advice only, of course you can always ask for the review to take place immediately.  Hope that helps.

• Why a duck?
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2005, 04:37:07 PM »
Julie and Garry,

Thanks for the advice.  I just don't understand how they could refuse me when I gave them exactly what they wanted for work experience documentation.  Granted, I forgot to mention that I had no earned income in 2004. 

I thought my evidence was certainly strong.  The soft stuff is I have family there, I want to live and work in Scotland (not overcrowded London), I'm single and not bringing anyone else with me, I have enough money to support myself for at least a year, and I qualify for jobs paying from 40 to 75K. 

My initial unemployement was due to down-sizing.  I didn't go back to work once I decided to move to the UK because it would be unfair to accept a job at my level and then leave shortly afterwards.

Should I try one of the companies that helps people get visas?  Does anyone here have a recommendation?

Thanks again,  Chris

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2005, 06:02:58 AM »
chrishamil10,

Out of curiousity, what was the date you submitted your application?

• Why a duck?
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2005, 12:40:52 AM »
I mailed the application on January 23 or 24, 2005.  The rejection letter was dated February 10, and I received it, I think, on February 22.  Come to think of it, at least I didn't have to wait six months for a NO.  I did mail the review request on March 7.  So far, I haven't heard a thing.

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2005, 03:51:43 AM »
Yes, you are certainly right.  At least you didn't have to wait months and months for a No.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab