Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Where would you live??  (Read 6941 times)

Where would you live??
« on: June 18, 2002, 12:35:33 AM »
Hubby and l were talking tonight about moving back to America in 2004! We were deciding where we would like to move back to!

So here is my question, if you could move back where would you like to move back to?? Home? or somewhere else in the States?? We are considering somewhere warm all year well somewhat all year!! Illinois (not that Illinois was warm all year) where l am from is OUT of the question, But we were thinking maybe Southern Missouri, Texas, Arizona (my choice) Oklahoma (but for some reason the tornados turn hubby off  ???)

So how about you?

« Last Edit: June 18, 2002, 12:36:51 AM by Trish »

Re: Where would you live??
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2002, 02:42:52 AM »
if you could move back where would you like to move back to?? Home? or somewhere else in the States??

I've seen a great deal of the United States.  Oklahoma and Missouri are too humid for my taste, and the tornados are a worry.  Saw a funnel cloud heading our way once, scared the crap outa me.  

Arizona is gorgeous, lots of ambiance, especially if you are drawn to beautiful desert scenery. The skies are crystal clear (never saw so many stars in all my life), the sunsets are breathtaking.  The landscape is pleasing to the eye and the Native American influence is a big plus (if you're into that kind of thing).  But the weather, in my opinion, leaves something to be desired.  It is extremely hot, doesn't cool off at night, and flash floods in summertime can be dangerous.  

I must say that of all the places in the US that I've seen, California wins, hands down.  It has everything.  Geographically, you can find deserts, mountains, snow and forests (the Redwoods are one of my favorite parts of the world), gorgeous rocky coastline, sandy beaches, variations in temperature and climate unlike anywhere else in the world.  Big cities, small towns, diverse demographics, lots to do, and a world of choices.  Yes, we have earthquakes, but I've been in some biggies, and I'd rather take my chances with an earthquake than with a tornado.  I would love to be back in Liverpool, but if I have to be in the US, I wouldn't live anywhere else.  That's why I'm here.  :)  Sorry if it sounds like a sales pitch ... but you did ask.  And I LOVE California.

• larrrrry larry curlycurlymoemo e
    • Earl Apricot of Eisentrubble
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2002, 11:02:45 AM »
i'd go to:

* northern california - san francisco area, but *not* san jose (puke)

or

* NYC! - everything open all the time.. nice ppl.. history..

or

* seattle - tho there you're going to get weather a lot like here.

or

* Boston - beautiful city

or

* Minneapolis! (where i'm from) - fine arts center (great for music-nutty ppl like me), nice ppl, clean...

of those, only northern CA has the weather you're looking for, though.  Denver is also something to consider (i lived there for 3.5 years).  if you're close enough to the mountains, you won't experience tornados.  300 days of sun.  it snows there, but the snow melts 2 days later & you're back to 60-degree weather or better.   the air is so dry there, that temperature extremes don't feel very extreme.  and if it's too hot in Denver, you can always drive 20 minutes into the mountains and lose 10 degrees.. or further to lose more.  commuting can be a *real* drag in Denver, though, since half of L.A. decided to move there.
"i being an animal don't know what an instinct is unless it tastes good" - Codfish Alice

"are you telling me you don't see the connection between government and laughing at ppl?" - anon.

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2002, 12:30:45 PM »
Well if I had my pick of anywhere, I'd probably pick Montana or Idaho as they are so beautiful they make my eyes hurt.  Unfortunately, if I did move there, I don't think my husband would follow.  Too remote for his liking.  I've always wanted to travel east.  New England area.  No real reason, other than it is unexplored territory.  I've been everywhere west of the Mississippi, but hardly anywhere east of it.
'Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.' - Emerson

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2002, 01:11:17 PM »
Thanks everyone who replied!!

This is the whole reason l posted this! l wanted to get different peoples opinion on the states! It's nice to know that we have different areas in the states that we can go to depending on what your preference is!

Hubby grew up here in Glasgow, l on the other hand grew up in smaller rural towns! He's city, l am country. So finding a common ground will prove difficult! We did decide that where we would go is somewhere where it's more warmer all year long! If we want snow then we can go to the mountains.
I adored Arizona when l was there on vacation, the scenery and the Native American culture is fanastic. I am part Native American myself. But the heat is somewhat a deterrant for us. But then again l have endured the heat in the summer in lllinois 95 degrees with a heat index of 105...you melt!  l am used to the heat of the summer whereas my hubby is not!  :-/  

We also have to take into consideration the fact of jobs, apartments, cost of living!

California sounds great!!  Questioning the earthquakes though!  ???       I have been in a few tornados in my life and they not  fun.    But you are a great travel agent!!!!  You made California proud!!!!!  ;D

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2002, 04:38:54 PM »
Daiv d& I have talked a lot about this, and we'd both want to move to the East Coast. For a few Reasons:

1. It's CRAZY gorgeous, and after being in CRAZY gorgeous England, my good old Indiana cornfields will never look the same.

2. It's closer to England. Seriously. Cheaper flights.

3. I have family there. It's not immediate family, but it's aunts & uncles & cousins that I know well, and we'd have an immediate support system, if we wanted it.

4. It's gorgeous. Did I mention that?

5. It smells nice.

?

6. Because I said so.
I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2002, 07:02:11 PM »
If you want warm all year Texas is not the place for you. Not Houston anyway. Warm it is not....hot, muggy, unbearable it is.  [smiley=sunny.gif]  [smiley=sweatdrop.gif] Spring and fall are nice sometimes but it starts getting hot by March and doesnt cool off until almost January...yuck. You know how it feels when you walk in a bathroom after someone has been taking a long hot shower and its all steamy? Thats how it feels walking out my front door even at 7 a.m.
Everyone tells me California is wonderful. I've been there once but it was when I was 14...don't remember much...but the weather was nice the entire time.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2003, 06:59:12 AM by meli_snell »

• NYState_of_Mind
  • FAMILIE, GOD & VADERLAND! Zonder de een heb je niet de anderen!!

• Never forget what it MEANS to be an AMERICAN...
    • Uncover Fahrenheit for what it is
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2002, 07:47:17 PM »
No hands down....it's in the name.  

Just enough outside of the city so I can have my "quiet time" in a detached house with a big back yard, side, and front yards.  Four seasons (as I get bored very easily), close enough to the shore, the country, and the city.  Having the loving circle of my immediate and extended family as well as friends.  And cannot forget my big puppydog, Kodiak and his one and only love Greywolf's Image, a.k.a., Kodi & Immi.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2002, 01:39:21 AM by NYState_of_Mind »
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile--hoping it will eat him last."Forgiveness is up to God. I just hope we hurry up the meeting." 02.08.03, Gen. Schwarzkoph It's the SILENT MAJORITY that COUNTS not the LOUD MINORITY that CONSTANTLY WINES! http://www.leftnuts.com/images/fu_marines1.jpg
www.protestwarrior.com Proud Member of the V.R.W.C.

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2002, 08:19:45 PM »
Awwwwwwwwww!
Cute dogs!!!!!!
:-*

ANd meli - yeah, i get a little protective of David when he's over here because of his accent, and the fact that he's gorgeous - but hey, whatever - he loves me dearly so I don't ever get REALLY nervous or insecure about it. I jsut smile and know that *I* am the one who gets to take him home. :)

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2002, 08:44:14 PM »
The woman at the British Consulate in Chicago, (she knows who she is) decided that it would be good to flirt with my hubby as l was standing there! She was being nasty to me but when he would ask a question she would just smile and talk to him sweetly!!   >:(   Anddddd had the nerve to ask me when l went back up there if he had left to go back to the UK and l said yes she said "aww that's too bad!"  huh, l could take that two ways lady!!!   :P     But l decided to take it the right way, cause she held my future in her hands!    But that's the only reason!!!    lol [smiley=laugh4.gif]

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2002, 08:45:24 PM »
OMG!

I'd have had a tough time controlling the urge to kick her teeth in. That's pretty rude!

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2002, 11:55:39 PM »
California all the way. I love it, ok so maybe I am biased since I lived there my entire life until I moved to the Uk!  [smiley=sunny.gif]

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2002, 07:08:54 AM »
California sounds great!!  Questioning the earthquakes though!

And speaking of earthquakes, a quake measuring 5.0 on the Richter Scale hit the midwest today.  The epicenter was 10 miles northwest of Evansville, Indiana.  So, you see, California is not alone.  Midwest gets 'em too.  

And, Trish, if you're a rural person and your husband is more city-fied, you might consider northern California.  It tends to be more rural than the southern part of the state.  There are numerous small cities, where you can practically have the best of both worlds.  I am within driving distance of Lake Tahoe and Reno, Nevada.  I have a view of Mount Lassen (east) from my kitchen window and Mount Shasta looms large to the north.  Both are only a few hours drive.  

Oh! and if you like Native American influence, you can find that here as well -- not as pronounced as it is in Arizona, but it's visible.  Lesser known tribes, like the Pomo, Pit River, Maidu, Karuk, Yurok, Hoopa, and Paiute organise pow wows on a regular basis (I love the drumming, dancing, and the authentic Indian fry bread).  There is a place just north of us that you can visit, Captain Jack's Stronghold (aka Canby's Cross), where 50 members of the Modoc tribe held off the US Cavalry for a year during the presidency of Ulysses S. Grant.

All things considered, Redding, California might be your cup of tea.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2002, 08:28:35 AM by Elaine »

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2002, 11:01:42 AM »
Scrumpy, your area sounds gorgeous ! ! !
I've not had too long in California, and it's on my list to spend more time in. I was there for a week and didn't see more than LA, Mojave and Mammouth.

I guess if I were to pick a place it would have to be narrowed down to places I've been and know, and for this reason I'd pick northern VA/DC area. And I guess my reason is that there might be opportunity for me and the Metro is my favorite public transportation system in the world (so far, still exploring). It's also a fun Amtrak ride up to NYC, with a quick Phila stop to visit a crazy college friend of mine. And my family is there.

Due to recent custody events, nothing to do with what the area has to offer, I never ever ever ever want to set foot back into Florida ever again.  ;D  

Never.
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

• Michigan~~~~Tex as~~~~Bradford West Yorkshire
    • CampThornBouchStein
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2002, 01:32:32 PM »
My husband and I are going to start off in Houston, only because it's a cheap place to get our bearings and we have family to stay with until we get our first place.  

After that we have thought about Colorado or Utah.  I have never been to either state, but they both look beautiful.  My husband would like to live in California, but the cost of living would eat us alive.

If anyone has been to Colorado or Utah, please feel free to give us your views on the states  ;)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab