Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: LIST: Things you SHOULDN'T have brought with you  (Read 100906 times)

• From Washington to Rochdale and taint going back
    • Girly Girrls Family Pics
  • Liked: 0
Re: LIST: Things you SHOULDN'T have brought with y
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2002, 04:48:05 PM »
Wellps I brought them on the plane with me anyhoo ::)  and I didn't have any problems.  I was totally shocked at how fast I got through Immigration.  They just looked at my spousal visa, stamped it and waved me through :o  Not that I minded.  Just meant that I had to wait longer at luggage claim ;)

• Who, being loved, is poor?  -Wilde
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2003, 10:47:32 AM »
For some idiotic reason, I brought four or five thick magazines with me. [smiley=huh2.gif]  I paid extra money to take an extra suitcase on the plane with me.  One of them was over the weight limit (72 pounds or something like that), so I had to transfer (in front of everybody!) some stuff to the lighter suitcases.  Nothing would have been over the weight limit if I hadn't taken those darn magazines!  I still don't know what I was thinking!!!  I haven't even looked at them for the five months I've been here.  Sheesh . . . :-[
[smiley=dunce.gif]
Jewel
"Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh, and the greatness which does not bow before children."  -Kahlil Gibran

• NYC to London. Must be a city thing.
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2003, 07:19:35 PM »
Out of everything I brought over, including computer components, BOOKs, tons of clothes, CDs, etc., I think there was only one thing I brought and haven't used:

My Rollerblades.

Seriously, there is just no where near here (SW London) that I can use them, and from what I heard, it's illegal to use them on the roads. The place I've seen people using skates is the Great Walk near Kensington Palace, but I haven't made the effort to travel there carrying the rollerblades and a bag big enough to stuff my shoes in. Can't be bothered.... I used to just strap them on and go when I lived in the States.

It's crazy. The local parks either aren't big enough, or have terrible paving that isn't conducive to skating. The poor things have gathered dust for more than a year now. Ah well.

Tricia
"You can wordify anything if you just verb it." -- Bucky, Get Fuzzy

• Morris Plains, NJ to London to Oxshott Surrey
    • Our home
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2003, 06:52:30 PM »
I brought tons of sun dresses thinking it gets hot here in London (I'm from NJ). Arriving in July, it was chilly during the day and I was suprised to see almost everyone carrying a spring jacket (or a sweater). I felt so silly when I stepped outside in my short dress & sandals! :-[

I wish I had purchased a DVD-R and recorded all of my CD's into MP3's. That would have lightened my load!

Should have left my hair dryer.  We lugged a Sharper Image Kayak thinking we'd kayak the Thames but with the cooler weather here, I've sorta felt too silly to try. (Kayaked the Delaware often in NJ!).

There are alot of things I wish I'd brought really... like my car! But 7500 pounds per year for insurance is crazy!

« Last Edit: June 27, 2003, 06:54:18 PM by SurreyGal »

• Give me some ribs...
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2004, 05:21:15 PM »
well seeing as how i live in constant 90 degree weather 360 days a year, i def. did'nt need the winter stuff. I left coats/scarves in germany with my sis-in-law and other winter things at my moms in the U.S.   I kinda miss wearing my coat & boots from time to time.  :-[

What stunk was having to leave all photos and albums behind due to the high humidity here. Wish my hubby had'nt insisted we bring so many books and glass items. So heavy and took to much time to carefully pack and unpack...and takes up alot of space in what few cabinets we have.

• Twitter
  • Liked: 1
Re: LIST: Things you SHOULDN'T have brought with you
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2004, 04:21:41 PM »
My computer. I paid A LOT of money to ship it here thinking I could just buy a new power supply and that would be the end of that. Stupid SONY VAIO's don't have that same ability. Their supply is smaller and regular ones won't fit inside my casing. To get a new one would be a ridiculous amount of money and to get a new case and such would be the same. I bought a heavy duty transformer from the US because in NI, no one knows what I need, and it was broken when it arrived and there was no way to get my money back without paying to send it back. SO.....I have a PC here that is worthless. I regret it more than I can say

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2004, 10:25:43 AM »
99% of the clothes I brought.  Denver does get cold, true, but there are a LOT of warm days.  I really didn't need all those light tops, shorts, and Tevas in Edinburgh.  I can count on one hand the number of times I've worn open-toed sandals here.

• Baa!
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2005, 05:47:34 PM »
Urgh I wouldn't have brought so many bottles of handsoap from Bath & Body Works -- they were on special before I left and so I thought it would be clever to bring about 5 of them with me, but they leaked all over my suitcase, despite the fact that I put them in Ziploc bags, and made my life a living hell when I finally got my suitcases (after they'd got lost for about 8 hours!).  Never, ever again!
"Anyone who burns his backside must himself sit upon it." - Scottish Gaelic Proverb

• Liked: 1
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2005, 05:50:38 PM »
i have a MILLION little tubs of Crystal light here....i love it, but i always forget abotu it and it's taking up room!

• Married March 21,2005!!!
    • My Myspace page
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2005, 12:43:29 AM »
I'll tell you what i regret doing so badly in London my last trip.
  I was so anxious to get my box from my mom. it had my hair dryer and curling iron in it.
 I was so happy to use the curling iron . i even had gotten a converter but as soon as i turned it on my curling iron heated up realy fast .. I thought maybe its just me and i am inagining since i hadnt usesd it in a long time
WRONG SMOKEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEee  I fried my hair off. there is a short piece growing in the front it sticks up :( SOO sad and it made the house smell like burnt hair for hours. i was so embarrased.
 My husband's family is so nice.  ( we werent married then) and asked if I was okay and ditn care about the smell or the curling iron.. I was lile oh god. I get embarrased so fast and this was definetly embarrasing.

NEVER BRING UR HAIR SUPPLIES JUST BUY SOME AT ARGOS!

Shala  :o
Married to the most wonderful man in the world. Patrick Mulcrone. March 21,2005.  :) Temporarily back in the USA! Missing him! If you need advice I am here for you!

« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2005, 11:35:08 AM »
i too understand the lack of space in the oven for my pizza pan's. I told my husband we should leave these in storage before coming over here. Man as usual no go ahead and bring them. They will fit. Yeah right!
There are allot of stuff i myself left back in the USA in storage. if i had of been there for the sea shipment box up. My daughter had surgery the day they packed the sea shipment out. Just by a new blow dryer, new curling iron. buy the time you spend you day looking for transformers, plug adapters. It just is not worth it. I would of left 95% of my summer clothes back home in storage. Things are very different here. I must say we lucked out with out house. Queen size beds not a problem. The house is huge. We did have our sectional shipped over here. When i was house shopping i was looking for a big livingroom (sitting room) and big bedrooms. I started to freak out the some of the small houses I saw here. I was so afraid we were going to have to put our stuff in storage. But we did find the house for us out of about 10 places we looked at. I just hope we don't have to move before my husbands job contract is up. Then that could be real bad.
We brought our dell and no probs there is a voltage switch in the back. Just check out all power voltage info in your product manual. Most laptops have a build in voltage converter. So my hubby says. I sort of wish we had left all out stuff in storage and just rented a furnished place.
One otehr thing I would have not had shipped get this the tread climber. Hubby pluged it in blew the board. We have ordered a new one. But we are going to have to by a huge transformer to run it. My gut said leave it in storage but hubby said bring it. Enough about my would of could of and should of's......

Jsayegh
Back Home,
JSayegh

« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2005, 01:17:07 PM »
The only thing I'd recommend NOT bringing is oven pans.  I had a nice and brand new roaster that I bought at home when it was on sale, and it is about 6cm too wide to fit our oven. 

Fortunately hubs thinks that his mum's oven is much bigger, so we're going to see if she can use it.

« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2005, 09:19:24 PM »
Summer clothes.  I haven't worn them at all in 3 years up here.

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2005, 08:49:59 AM »
The only thing I'd recommend NOT bringing is oven pans.  I had a nice and brand new roaster that I bought at home when it was on sale, and it is about 6cm too wide to fit our oven. 

LOL ... I had that problem too! And forget cookie sheets! But the funny thing is, my oven is so small that I can't even fit in oven pans I've bought in the UK!!

Hmm...does that go for the Leeds area too, you think??? Isn't Scotland a little colder???

Also, for those B&BW addicts, you have LUSH over there-not as extensive, but wonderful...I'm a Lush addict!!!

Not sure about Leeds, but in Wales I live in bathing suits, sundresses, shorts, and T-shirts in the summer.

We also have The Body Shop, over here. I'm not a huge fan of any of those shops, but there seem to be plenty of them if you're an addict!
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• azroomie & james
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2005, 03:57:49 PM »
Coming from AZ and  CA I regret bringing  so many summer clothes..  It just takes up space..I am also taking a  LONG time  thinking it's 'hot' here  so  I doubt I'll ever wear them..  :\\\'(

Plus when we do go back it is around Christmas time  so  I really won't wear them..
"Courage is the power to let go of the familiar." - Raymond Lindquist

Sponsored Links