Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: LIST: Things you SHOULDN'T have brought with you  (Read 105246 times)

• Liked: 1
Re: LIST: Things you SHOULDN'T have brought with you
« Reply #195 on: July 22, 2011, 02:29:56 PM »
From reading all of this I think it's gonna be easier to just bring myself and my cat and start from scratch!

• Liked: 0
« Reply #196 on: July 28, 2011, 10:04:01 PM »
Chary- My boyfriend currently lives in Nottingham, but we're looking to move somewhere near London. Ideally Kent, Reading, Hertforshire etc.. How's the weather in those regions? Reguardless this American is bringing ALL her heels, wedges, flats and flip flops haha  ;D

Hi LMS,

I'm currently in San Diego awaiting my spousal visa. My husband lives in London and works in Kent if you have anymore specific questions. But the short answer is to bring waterproof everything, because you never know when it's just gonna pour!

VCH

« Reply #197 on: November 21, 2011, 02:47:58 PM »
Hello Everyone :)

I'm an american currently living for the last 3.5 yrs with my dutch boyfriend in the Netherlands. We are researching the possibilities of moving to the UK and when I saw this forum and read some of the posts, it got me thinking and wondering. SO here are a few questions that I pose in hopes someone can advise me.

Since we live in the Netherlands and my boyfriend is an electrician, he has told me that the UK and EU, use the same voltage (watts) on electronical stuff, only the plug in is different. So I got all excited. We dont have a lot of extra money and the move would be quite tight, so there isnt any extra to be buying new expensive items for a home. Our original thought/plan, was to take everythign with us, such as, washer/dryer, tv's, stereo, computers, microwave..etc etc. My boyfriend can easily change the plug ins to UK ones so everything fits snug as a bug in a rug...and since the watts are the same, they shouldnt (hopefully) get fried. With that explained here are my questions...

1) We'd be coming over with a moving truck by ferry....will they be going through ever single box and item before allowing us through?
2) is there some sort of taxes that we'd be charged on all the electronics, etc for taking them into the UK?? I had never considered that possibility before since we own the items already.
3) Always open to any suggestions...anyone have any??

Thanks!
Nikki

• Liked: 21
« Reply #198 on: March 19, 2012, 08:43:14 PM »
I think the biggest one (for me at least), forget about bringing over your American hair appliances. You're much better off going to Boots/Superdrug/Argos, etc. and picking up a British hair dryer, straightener, curling iron (tong in UK terms), or any other hair appliances you may use. I've had bad luck using my converter in the past and ended up breaking two expensive American straighteners and FRYING a strand of my hair on a curling iron! Way more trouble than it's worth!
4/2015 Married
7/2015 Spousal visa granted
8/2015 Moved to England
10/2020 ILR granted

• Liked: 4
« Reply #199 on: December 07, 2012, 08:02:53 PM »
do NOT bring dog food unless you want a customs nightmare!!  i don't care if others got away with it.  Not worth the risk even if it was free prescription food.

• Makeup Guru & Anglophile
« Reply #200 on: May 28, 2013, 12:15:07 AM »
I think the biggest one (for me at least), forget about bringing over your American hair appliances. You're much better off going to Boots/Superdrug/Argos, etc. and picking up a British hair dryer, straightener, curling iron (tong in UK terms), or any other hair appliances you may use. I've had bad luck using my converter in the past and ended up breaking two expensive American straighteners and FRYING a strand of my hair on a curling iron! Way more trouble than it's worth!

This totally! It's a nightmare having to lug that stuff around anyway lol :p
Met at 2012 London Olympics| Engagement 4-25-13| Married 7-30-13| Hired immigration lawyer 9-13 (waste of time)| Applied for Spousal Visa online 12-27-13| Biometrics completed 1-2-14| Spousal & dependent visas submitted 1-10-14| Application is being processed email 1-13-14| Decision has been made email 1-21-14| Received approved visas 1-24-14| Arrived in London 3-9-14 YAY!!

• Liked: 12
« Reply #201 on: May 28, 2013, 02:15:19 PM »

Good to know.
>^.^<
Married and moved to UK 1974
Returned to US 1995
Irish citizenship June 2009
    Irish passport September 2009 
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!
ILR (Long Residence) 22 March 2016

« Reply #202 on: May 28, 2013, 03:15:07 PM »
My in-laws were questioning me yesterday about why I am not bringing hair product (dryer, flat iron, etc.) and I tried explaining all that I've learned here!  They don't believe me.  They think that you can just use an adapter and be just fine.  SMH.
Moving to Manchester area this summer with my husband and three children!

• Liked: 63
« Reply #203 on: May 28, 2013, 04:55:11 PM »
the basic rule is, if it heats up, leave it and buy a new one.
Married December 1992 (my 'old flame' whom I first met in the mid-70s)
1st move to UK - 1993 (Letter of Consent granted at British Embassy in Washington DC)
ILR - 1994 (1 year later - no fee way back then!)
Back to US in 2000
Returned to UK July 2011 (Spousal Visa/KOL endorsement)
ILR - September 2011
Application for naturalization submitted July 2014
Approval received 15-10-14; ceremony scheduled for 10 November!
Passport arrived 25 November 2014. Finally done!

• Adventures of our Expat Life Blog
« Reply #204 on: June 12, 2013, 01:33:52 PM »
how about Lamps? and things that are rechargeable? (clippers, razors and groomers, portable hand held Vac)   ???

• Liked: 15
« Reply #205 on: June 12, 2013, 04:07:43 PM »
Batteries...for some reason I purchased & packed dozens of AA and AAA batteries for various things (back in 2001 for a year studying abroad). Well needless to say airport security thought this was very suspicious and confiscated most if them...why I thought this was something I had to bring vs buy over there, I'll never know!
2001 - moved to the UK on a student visa
2002 - 2 year work visa (and met hubby later that year)
2004 - moved w UKC hubby to US
2012 - UKC hubby now a dual national (USC)
Apr 2015 - moved back to UK w DH and two DD

• Liked: 4
« Reply #206 on: June 12, 2013, 04:37:09 PM »
how about Lamps? and things that are rechargeable? (clippers, razors and groomers, portable hand held Vac)   ???

Leave those at home.

• Liked: 6
« Reply #207 on: June 12, 2013, 07:58:20 PM »
We brought lamps and they are absolutely fine.  We plug them into an adaptor which we then plug into a surge protector.

• Adventures of our Expat Life Blog
« Reply #208 on: June 12, 2013, 08:41:54 PM »
We brought lamps and they are absolutely fine.  We plug them into an adaptor which we then plug into a surge protector.
Thank you..
I have heard both responses.  I am only moving for 3 yrs and didn't want to have to buy everything new over there only to sell it all before we return. 

• Liked: 63
« Reply #209 on: June 13, 2013, 06:42:55 PM »
lamps? like table lamps???

Change the plug (or use an adapter) and buy a UK bulb. A lot of rechargeable stuff has a multi-voltage transformer that will work on 110-240; check your equipment.
Married December 1992 (my 'old flame' whom I first met in the mid-70s)
1st move to UK - 1993 (Letter of Consent granted at British Embassy in Washington DC)
ILR - 1994 (1 year later - no fee way back then!)
Back to US in 2000
Returned to UK July 2011 (Spousal Visa/KOL endorsement)
ILR - September 2011
Application for naturalization submitted July 2014
Approval received 15-10-14; ceremony scheduled for 10 November!
Passport arrived 25 November 2014. Finally done!

Sponsored Links