Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: LIST: Things you SHOULDN'T have brought with you  (Read 100952 times)

• Liked: 12
Re: LIST: Things you SHOULDN'T have brought with you
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2005, 04:07:40 PM »
I shouldn't have brought so many pairs of shorts (nobody wears them here) and so many hot weather clothes... they're still sitting around taking up space. I wish I didn't bring over so many clothes in general!  ::) Not enough room. I wish I had brought over more sweaters, because last winter I was constantly freezing... thankfully this winter I'm more prepared!
Plans on hold 'cuz Brexit

• Liked: 0
Re: LIST: Things you SHOULDN'T have brought with y
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2005, 01:24:46 AM »
I thought I was really clever buying several bits of Bakers Secret non-stick cookware. Cake pans, cookie sheets, etc.

Yesterday spent all morning preparing a gorgeous fragipane puff pastry tart for our dinner guests last night. My first chance to use my jelly-roll pan (cookie sheet with shallow sides on it).

Got it all beautifully layed out, it was a work of art.

The stinkin' pan would not fit in the oven!  :o

It was way too long and too wide as well  :-X

Our apartment-size cooker (which I love cause it's convection/fan assisted) is about 2" each way smaller.

You can buy Baker's Secret equivalents over here, so I am all set now. But it was a waste of space.

:-[ Lauren

Then I guess I better remove the cookie sheets and jelly roll pans from my US wedding registry!

June

• azroomie & james
  • Liked: 2
Re: LIST: Things you SHOULDN'T have brought with y
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2005, 08:08:14 AM »
  Then I guess I better remove the cookie sheets and jelly roll pans from my US wedding registry!

June

maybe if you can get measurements  ahead of time..because  my sheets BARELY fit just right..  I slide the sheets in like you would  the rack..  so they DO fit but barely.. we are in a house  so I don't know if that makes a  difference  or not..
« Last Edit: February 09, 2006, 07:23:36 PM by azroomie »
"Courage is the power to let go of the familiar." - Raymond Lindquist

• Liked: 1
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2005, 11:04:27 PM »
the convertor kit...used once in 2 months and the second time it blew out my camera battery charger ::)

all my painting supplies, since I was warned that art/craft supplies here were extremely expensive...but I have found themfor the most part to be only slightlymore...but that's a fairly specialized item

• CINDY AND DAVE
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2005, 11:08:28 PM »
Hi,

After reading all of this, I have decided, I will bring my fav clothes, pictures, and a few sentimental things.....lol
:) Cindy

« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2005, 11:18:08 PM »
Hi,

After reading all of this, I have decided, I will bring my fav clothes, pictures, and a few sentimental things.....lol

And your measuring cups I hope.   ;)

• CINDY AND DAVE
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2005, 11:20:13 PM »
lol..when i visited in November, I brought over all my measuring stuff...fav cookie cutters and pie plate...all set ;)
:) Cindy

« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2006, 08:52:00 PM »
If anyone uses an electric wheelchair the chargers from the states do not work here you need to get one when you get here much better my fiancee blew mine up and we now have invested in 2 British ones but get advise first because you can blow up your chair to if you get the wrong charger.

« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2006, 09:25:18 PM »
We brought way too many framed pictures, photos, etc.  A couple would have sufficed.  I also brought a very heavy sewing machine that I should have left in my grandmother in law's basement.  After frying my American electric toothbrush, I'm afraid of doing the same thing to the sewing machine.  Besides, I have no time for leisurely crafts (I have three kids under five).  I don't know what I was thinking.  Also, if you have movers packing your things to bring here, watch them like a hawk.  Our movers packed a number of things--such as the shower curtain--that we didn't want or need when my back was turned.

« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2006, 09:29:00 PM »
We brought way too many framed pictures, photos, etc.  A couple would have sufficed.  I also brought a very heavy sewing machine that I should have left in my grandmother in law's basement.  After frying my American electric toothbrush, I'm afraid of doing the same thing to the sewing machine.  Besides, I have no time for leisurely crafts (I have three kids under five).  I don't know what I was thinking.  Also, if you have movers packing your things to bring here, watch them like a hawk.  Our movers packed a number of things--such as the shower curtain--that we didn't want or need when my back was turned.

;DLOL

We had something like that happen to us. We were doing a move while my husband was in the Navy and I had two garbage bags full of paper, ect sitting in the middle of the living room. I went into the bathroom to get some of the toiletries before they started in there and when I came back the bags were gone, I thought DH had thrown them out. Well, when we get to our next destination and I'm unpacking boxes guess what I found! I'm glad it wasn't garbage with food or something gross in it. But it isn't their fault, they are supposed to pack EVERYTHING, and they did. LOL  ;D

« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2006, 09:33:53 PM »
Our movers packed a number of things--such as the shower curtain--that we didn't want or need when my back was turned.

speaking of... I had a new shower curtain ($1 on sale at Target) I brought with me, I figured it was likely I could use it... which I am. Anyhow, US curtains have magnets at the bottom and most tubs here are not metallic. Not a big deal, just a surprise!

other than that I haven't thought twice about anything!

• Liked: 1
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2006, 09:37:06 PM »
did I say "my craft supplies/paints"?   I think I've used the craft stuff (jewelry making) once in the just over 2 months I've been here, and the paints maybe 4 times...

my jewelry collection...I wore it regularly for about the first 2 wks and since then maybe a piece every 2 wks ::)

the fiction manuscipts/notes I was working on...I have not written a paragraph in them since arriving

• Liked: 18
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2006, 11:50:29 PM »
did I say "my craft supplies/paints"?   I think I've used the craft stuff (jewelry making) once in the just over 2 months I've been here, and the paints maybe 4 times...

Oh no, I am a huge pack rat when it comes to craft supplies :( I thought I was doing good to take it from half a room to 2 1/2 boxes!! hehe

I cant part with my cross stitching supplies :( I threw out all my paint and MOST of the wood stuff...I have my pattern books and candle making supplies, but the candle making supplies which weigh the most will save us money for the wedding, by making my own votives rather than buy them...I hope! ;)

I'm not over there yet, this is the pre-move sorting and then packing..still contemplating taking my beginnings of a milk glass collection...apparently its an american thing? very hard to find in england ;) I cant decide if its worth it to take it if I only go back to the US every 4-6 months...although I could conceivably collect during my trips...am I just coming up with excuses here? ;)

Katrina
Moved to the UK April 2006
Married March 2007
Moved to the U.S. June 2009

Husband accepted new job in UK April 2016
Returning to UK Aug/Sept 2016!

Moved from UK-Germany 2022

• Liked: 4
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2006, 08:53:13 PM »

I cant part with my cross stitching supplies :( I threw out all my paint and MOST of the wood stuff...I have my pattern books and candle making supplies, but the candle making supplies which weigh the most will save us money for the wedding, by making my own votives rather than buy them...I hope! ;)

Katrina

I don't know where you're moving to, but I have had a really hard time finding cross-stitch supplies over here.  I went to one place out in Camden but that's about it.  I find it hard to believe there's no craft stores in central London?  Maybe I just don't know where to look.  :-\\\\

« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2006, 09:00:38 PM »
me either geetak... i'd like to find a yarn shop!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab