Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: What to serve with Jambalaya?  (Read 5839 times)

• Liked: 1
What to serve with Jambalaya?
« on: March 18, 2005, 10:16:23 AM »
Before dinner, as a munchie?  I'm always big on a cheeseboard and olives but didn't know if anyone had any creole suggestions?  Then again, they won't be getting to us till 8:30-Maybe i should just do chips and guacamole?  :P

How about dessert?  I'm at a loss for ideas!

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
Re: What to serve with Jambalaya?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2005, 10:25:26 AM »
Well with it I always serve french bread and salad.

As for dessert, take a look at foodtv.com and check out any of Emeril Lagasse's recipes such as New Orleans style bread pudding:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_10971,00.html

As for an appetizer...  how about:

Crock Pot Cheesy New Orleans Shrimp Dip

2 slices bacon

3 medium onions, chopped

1 clove garlic, minced

4 jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined

1 medium tomato, peeled and chopped

3 C. shredded Monterey Jack cheese

4 drops Tabasco sauce

1/8 t. cayenne pepper

1 dash black pepper

Cook bacon until crisp. Drain on paper towel. Saute onion and garlic in drippings until soft. Drain on paper towel. Coarsely chop the shrimp. Crumble bacon and place in a crockpot along with the other ingredients. Cover and heat on low setting for about 1 hour, until the cheese is melted. Thin with milk if too thick. Serve with chips.

When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2005, 10:28:20 AM »
ooooh good starter!!!

the jambalaya has rice in it, so no bread....but good idea about emeril's desserts!!!!

i'm using the cooking light jambalaya recipie.  Has sausages, shrimp and chicken.  YUM

• Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2005, 10:48:16 AM »
Hi Aimiloo,

You could try Hush Puppies ( I do not see them as Cajun per se)

1 Cup Cornmeal
1/2 cup self raising flour
2 tbsp cornstarch (cornflour)
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp cajun spice micture (see below)
1/4 tsp chilli poweder
 1 garlic clover, crushed
2 tbsp grated onion
2 eggs, beaten
3/4 cups milk
Vegetable oil for frying

Mix the cornmeal with the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, spice micture and chilli poweder.  Mix the garlic with the onion and eggs and stir into the flour mixture.  Heat the milk until hot but not boiling then pour over hte cornmeal mixture and stir well to mix.  Allow to cool.  Heat the oil in a large, heavy-based pan until hot.  Carefully add about 5 heaped teaspoonfuls of the mixture to the oil and deep-fry until puffy and light golden color, about one minute, turning over occationally.  Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.  Keep warm.

Cornbread

Oven 350F/180C/Gas 4

1 1/2 cups self-raising flour
1 cup fine cornmeal
1/4 cup cornstarch
pinch of salt
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup caster sugar
1 1/2 cups milk
6 tbsp butter
1 egg beaten

Place a 30 x 20 cm (12 x 8 inch) shallow oblong baking tin in the preheated oven for 5 minutes.  To make the cornbread mix the flour in a bowl with the cornmeal, cornstarch, salt, baking powder and sugar.  Warm the milk in a small pan with 1/3 cup of the butter until it is slightly hot and the butter has melted.  Remove the milk and butter mixture from the heat and beat in the egg.  Melt the remaining butter and set aside.  Stir the mil and egg mixture itno the flour mixture and mix well.  Remvoe the hot ten from the oven, brush with butter to grease then pour in the batter.  Smooth the top to level the mixture.  Bake in the oven for 25 minutes, remove from the oven, brush with the melted butter and cook for a futher 15 minutes until golend and firm to thetouch.  Serve hot, cut into squares. 

Cajun Spice Mixture

1 tbsp salt
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp ground black pepper
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 to 1 tsp cayenne pepper ( to taste)
1 1/2 tsp paprika

blend together.

Coconut Pie

Oven 400F/200C/Gas 6
Then 350F/180C/Gas 4

I would just purchase a Pastry crust.  I am lazy and never make mine.

Pastry:

2 cups plain flour
1/2 cup butter softened
2 tbsp desiccated coconut
4 to 5 tbsp iced water

Filling:

5 large eggs beaten
1 2/3 cups desiccated coconut
1 1/2 cup caster sugar
1/2 cup butter, melted
2/3 cup butter mild or 4 tsbs natural yogurt mixed with 4 tbsp skimmked milk
1 tsp vanilla essence

To make hte pastry, sift the flour into a bowl, then rub in the butter in pieces until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.  Stir in the coconut and water and mix to a firm but pliable dough. Roll out he pastry thinly and use to line a 25cm/ 10 inch greased fluted flan tin or sidh.  Bake "blind" in the preheated oven for 25 minutes.  Remove the paper and beans and bake for a futher 10 - 15 minutes or until crisp and golden.  remove from the oven then reduce the oven temperature.

To make the filling; beat the eggs with the coconut, sugar, butter, buttermilk and vanilla, mixing well.  Pour into the baked pastry case.  Return to the oven and cook for about 45 minutes or until the filling has set and is frim to the touch.  turn off the heat and leave the pie to stand in the oven, with the door open, for a further 15 minutes.  Serve warm or when just cold, but not chilled. 

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2005, 10:51:48 AM »
Hmmm, trying to remember the Border Cafe's Menu in Cambridge, MA!!!  They were Cajun/Mexican!!!

• Liked: 0
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2005, 12:14:17 PM »
Shrimp cocktail or fried shrimp (or both)
Crab cakes
mini meat pies
spicy fried mushrooms
stuffed jalapenos
deviled eggs (add jalepeno, cumin & cayenne to reg recipe)
chicken wings

for dessert -
bananas foster
crepe suzette
pecan pie
beignets
doberge cake

Rosie

All wars are civil wars, because all men are brothers. ~François Fénelon

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2005, 12:46:23 PM »
thanks rosie! founds a great banannas foster recipie on cooking lgiht, and will prob use caryn's shrimp dip thingy!

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2005, 12:57:56 PM »
If you like bananas, Emeril has an awesome recipe for very special banana cream pie. I had it in his restaurant and felt like I'd died and gone to heaven. Then I got home and made it myself from one of his cookbooks -- it was just as good and not that difficult to make. Highly recommended!
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• Dharma in the Dishes
  • Liked: 14
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2005, 02:26:26 PM »
I know some people from Louisiana who tell me you don't eat anything 'with' jambalaya. :) But I would think if you need something to stretch the meal further or you just feel you ought to have a token vegetable, boiled okra or turnip greens and some cornbread would not be amiss.

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2005, 09:39:16 AM »
This was an AMAZING recipie! I wouldn't change a single thing about it!  (i made it with brown rice, and basil turkey sausage-NOT smoked.  I'm not a smoked fan)

Jambalaya
From Cooking Light

This Creole dish is a breeze to prepare and works well for busy nights after holiday shopping. It's great when you need a meal that can stand for a while once it's ready, and it reheats well. Serve with hot sauce.

2  teaspoons vegetable oil
1/4  pound skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
1/4  pound skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces
1/4  teaspoon salt
1/4  teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1  cup chopped smoked turkey sausage (about 4 ounces)
1  cup chopped onion
1/2  cup chopped green bell pepper
1/2  cup chopped celery
1  garlic clove, minced
1 1/2  cups uncooked long-grain white rice
2 3/4  cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
2  teaspoons paprika
1/2  teaspoon dried thyme
1/4  teaspoon ground red pepper
1  (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
1/4  pound large shrimp, peeled, deveined, and chopped
1/4  cup thinly sliced green onions

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chicken with salt and black pepper. Add chicken to pan, and cook 5 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Remove chicken from pan; cover and keep warm. Add sausage to pan; cook 5 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Add 1 cup onion, bell pepper, celery, and garlic; cover, reduce heat to low, and cook 12 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.
Stir in rice; cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add broth, paprika, thyme, and red pepper; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes. Add chicken and tomatoes; cook, uncovered, 10 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Stir in shrimp; cover and cook 5 minutes or until shrimp are done. Remove from heat, and let stand 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Sprinkle with green onions.

Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 1/3 cups)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 322(14% from fat); FAT 5.1g(sat 1.1g,mono 1.5g,poly 1.9g); PROTEIN 20.4g; CHOLESTEROL 68mg; CALCIUM 72mg; SODIUM 640mg; FIBER 3.2g; IRON 3.3mg; CARBOHYDRATE 46.8g

And for dessert, this was HEAVEN
Tropical Bananas Foster
From Cooking Light

2  medium bananas
1/3  cup firmly packed brown sugar
2  tablespoons reduced-calorie margarine
1  (8-ounce) can pineapple chunks in juice, drained
1/4  teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4  cup white rum
2  cups vanilla nonfat frozen yogurt

Peel bananas; cut each banana in half lengthwise. Cut each half into four pieces.
Place brown sugar and margarine in a large skillet, and cook over medium heat until margarine melts, stirring constantly. Add banana, pineapple chunks, and cinnamon; cook just until banana is tender, stirring and basting frequently with cooking liquid.

Place rum in a small saucepan, and cook until warm. Ignite rum with a long match, and pour over banana mixture. Stir banana mixture gently until flame dies down. Spoon yogurt into dessert bowls, and top with banana mixture. Serve immediately.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1/2 cup yogurt, 4 banana pieces, and 1/3 cup sauce)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 262(13% from fat); SODIUM 126mg; CHOLESTEROL 0.0mg; PROTEIN 4.2g; CARBOHYDRATE 56.3g; FAT 3.9g

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2005, 11:27:19 AM »
Amy, when using brown rice, did you have to up the liquid or the cooking time at all to make sure the rice was soft? Mmmm. I just printed this out - I'm so gonna make it! Thanks!!  ;D

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2005, 11:35:22 AM »
it took a bit longer to cook......i added another 8 min to when you add the chicken (so around 18 min) then added the shrimp, cooked for 5 min and let it sit for about 8  min covered before serving.

There was enough liquid and at the sittiing point most of it gets absorbed, so no need to add any additional.

i think i added a bit more of the ground red pepper flakes as i didn't use the smoked turkey sausage-

seriously, this was SO GOOD you will not be disappointed.  My guests and hubs were in heaven.  This is going to be a staple in our meals.....i prepared all the veg and stuff before hand, and had to get up a few times at the timed intervals, and to stir...but i could still be social.

And it made quite a bit!!!!

Sponsored Links