Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Getting married (changing name) while employer submits work permit application  (Read 1125 times)

• Chelsea's Blog!
  • Liked: 0
Approximately 1 billion things are going to happen to me in the next few months:

(1) I'm getting married
(2) I'm graduating from grad school
(3) I'm moving to the UK for a job

ok maybe not 1 billion...

So herein lies the confusion: I would like to change my name after I get married, but my UK employer is in the work permit application process and is obviously using my maiden name.  I plan to get all of my official documents changed to my married name (passport, drivers license, social security card, etc.), but once I get the nonsettlement visa application paperwork from my employer (assumedly after my work permit application is approved), I wonder if the British Embassy will laugh and outright refuse to issue a visa to someone with two different last names.  Does this make any sense?  I can't figure out where in this name changing-work permit-nonsettlement visa process to address this issue.  Any advice?

• Liked: 8
Can't you just wait until the application is approved to change your name?

• Chelsea's Blog!
  • Liked: 0
Well..time is of the essence in this situation.. If everything goes according to plan, I will begin work by June 1st (at the latest), and by the time the application is approved, I will probably not have to window of time necessary to change my name on all official documents.  But from reading previous posts on this general issue of name changing, I assume I could change my name before I visit the embassy for my nonsettlement visa, since the new passport will state something like this (taken from a previous post): "When you amend your passport the amendment will say 'This passport is amended to change the bearer's name from Jane Doe to Jane Schmoe' or something of the like."

I just want to make sure that if the last name on the visa application (and resulting visa) and the last name on the passport are different that I will not be denied the visa.  It looks like the passport will reflect my previous last name, so I should be ok.  Ya think?

Okay, I see what you're saying.

Yes, you should be fine.  They don't change your passport when you get a name change -- there's just a notation in the back that your name has changed.  Most people don't even notice (or look for) the name change page unless you point it out to them.

• York Interweb
By the way, how long do you have to change your name after you get married? My fiance thinks it might be best for me to get settled--get a job, etc., before sending my passport off for the name change.

Also, is it true that the name change amendment in your passport changes the name on all visas in your passport?

I doubt if I will have time to amend my name before my fiance visa expires, (don't want to take the chance that my passport gets misplaced on someone's desk so it takes longer than usual)  so I am going to apply for FLR in my maiden name, then amend my name on my passport later.
I thought that once I got the name change amendment, the amendment automatically affected the name on all the visas in the passport.

However, I was told by the Home Office  that if I amend my name on my US passport, I'll have to get my FLR stamp changed as well, since the name on the FLR won't match.  This seems odd. Do I have to then apply for a 2nd FLR stamp?  I assume that would cost me a bit of extra money, wouldn't it?

It seems to me that it would be pretty common to apply for FLR in your maiden name, then change your name later, as in my opinion, getting your FLR and being able to remain in the country legally takes priority over changing your name.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2005, 05:01:38 PM by sweetpeach »

However, I was told by the Home Office  that if I amend my name on my US passport, I'll have to get my FLR stamp changed as well, since the name on the FLR won't match.  This seems odd. Do I have to then apply for a 2nd FLR stamp?  I assume that would cost me a bit of extra money, wouldn't it?

I've never heard of that -- and yep, I would assume that most women get their FLR before changing the name in their passport.  If there were a charge for a second FLR, fewer women would do it that way!   :P

I was never asked for any proof of my married name at work.  When I started working, I just went by Lola Married, no questions asked.  In fact, my name wasn't legally Lola Married until this past December, and I started working in June.  If wherever you find work is anywhere like my job, your marriage certificate will suffice as proof of your married name.

As far as I know, there's no time limit on changing your name in your passport.  I still haven't done it (been married 1.5 years) and don't intend to until my passport is up for renewal (another 2.5 years).  I've changed it on my SS card for tax purposes, but that's it really. 

• York Interweb
According to my fiance, his ex never changed her name on her passport, and they were married for 4 years! She has a Japanese passport, and it would have been very difficult to convert his English surname to Japanese characters. I know that she used his surname when they were married, because in the divorce papers, she is listed as Mrs. Exhusband'slastname.

I do need my passport for identification, though. Can I open a bank account in my married name by showing my passport with my maiden name and my marriage certificate?

I do need my passport for identification, though. Can I open a bank account in my married name by showing my passport with my maiden name and my marriage certificate?

Yep -- at least at Barclays.  I've never had a problem with my maiden name in the passport.  If anyone has needed proof of my married name, I've just shown them the marriage certificate.

• York Interweb
Ok (sorry for the thread hijack, btw). Now, which of the following is true:

If I use my married name at the bank, I have to use my married name at my job, so that my paychecks can be deposited in the bank. If so, I show my job my passport (which shows I'm legal to work in the UK) and my marriage certificate. I also have to report my change of name to Social Security and the IRS, since my paychecks have my married name.

Also, I know that when I purchase a plane ticket, the name on the ticket has to match the name on the passport. (I've read in a few places that airports are getting strict and not accepting a marriage certificate as proof of a name change.) So, if I have my maiden name on my passport, I have to purchase the ticket in my maiden name, therefore the credit card I use to purchase the ticket has to have my maiden name. (Whenever I check in for a flight at the airport, the person at the service desk scans the credit card that I used to purchase the ticket for identification purposes.)

And can I have a bank account in my  married name, but keep a credit card in my maiden name?

• Witchiepoo
  • Liked: 3
So, if I have my maiden name on my passport, I have to purchase the ticket in my maiden name, therefore the credit card I use to purchase the ticket has to have my maiden name. (Whenever I check in for a flight at the airport, the person at the service desk scans the credit card that I used to purchase the ticket for identification purposes.)

My US passport is still in my maiden name.  I have paid for flights using my married name, travelling on my maiden name.  No problem at all.
Insert wonderfully creative signature here …

Ok (sorry for the thread hijack, btw). Now, which of the following is true:

If I use my married name at the bank, I have to use my married name at my job, so that my paychecks can be deposited in the bank. If so, I show my job my passport (which shows I'm legal to work in the UK) and my marriage certificate. I also have to report my change of name to Social Security and the IRS, since my paychecks have my married name

The name on my payslip and the name on my bank account had to be the same, according to my employer.  And yep, you'll need to change the name on your SS card because Sweetpeach Married will be on your payslips and P60.

Also, I know that when I purchase a plane ticket, the name on the ticket has to match the name on the passport. (I've read in a few places that airports are getting strict and not accepting a marriage certificate as proof of a name change.) So, if I have my maiden name on my passport, I have to purchase the ticket in my maiden name, therefore the credit card I use to purchase the ticket has to have my maiden name. (Whenever I check in for a flight at the airport, the person at the service desk scans the credit card that I used to purchase the ticket for identification purposes.)

When we purchase tickets, DH pays for them, so I haven't had to deal with any name discrepancies.  I would think, though, that the name on the card doesn't have to match the name on the ticket.  I mean, parents buy tickets for their kids all the time, so the names don't match.  We tend to book my tickets as Lola Maiden, since that's the name on my passport.  I have travelled as Lola Married though, and I just showed my marriage certificate as proof of my new name (I always have it when I travel, just in case).

And can I have a bank account in my  married name, but keep a credit card in my maiden name?

Yes.  I have a card linked to my US bank account (which really has nothing in it usually...I just keep it for emergencies and as an easy way for my family to give me money  :P).  The US account and its accompanying card are both in my maiden name.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab