Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Settlement Visa Question....  (Read 676 times)

• Does my bum look big in this?
  • Liked: 0
Settlement Visa Question....
« on: March 23, 2005, 05:58:44 PM »
Can't remember if I've asked about this before....I probably have so please forgive me for asking again!

But....I'm a dual US/UK citizen, planning on moving to Scotland (hopefully this summer!) with my 2 US citizen daughters.  I will be moving for work/adventure....not to join a significant other in the UK.  Assuming that all the legalities are worked out with my ex, how difficult is it likely to be to get visas for my girls?  What potential 'hurdles' should I be looking at?  Do I need to have a job in the UK lined up first, or would going over with a significant amount in savings (say $15k or so) be sufficient to prove that the girls won't be living off public funds?

Thanks for any advice!!!

Modified by Wishstar just to change the subject so that it wasn't specifically addressed to anyone in particular.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2005, 09:24:34 PM by Wishstar »
When I am grown-up I will understand how BEAUTIFUL it feels to administrate my life effectively.

Until then I will continue to TORCH all correspondence that bores me and to dance NAKED over the remnants of its still glowing embers.

~The Interesting Thoughts of Edward Monkton

Re: Settlement Visa Question....Garry???
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2005, 09:09:00 PM »
It's not complex - just an ordinary family reunion type of thing.  Each child would need to fill out a VAF2 form and send it in to the consulate. 

The attachments and what-not would be exactly what's been said in various threads about bringing a spouse in.  Accomodation, finances, and all that.  Just pretend like you are marrying them and read everything in this forum about what you have to submit ;D

Because they are children, there's 3 or 4 other hurdles and/or considerations to bear in mind - [a] sole responsibility; exclusion undesirable; and [c] related as claimed. 

There's no cases yet where they challenged [c] in North America, so you're good there! 

From a personal perspective I would add to make doubly and triply sure you don't leave a Hague issue in the closet.  It's got nothing to do with immigration, but it's a hellish nightmare to get ensnarled in downstream...   Also take counsel from Pebbles re American passports.

Oh!  If they are over 12, the ECO can elect to interview them privately if he wants, be sure your ex doesn't f*ck up their minds the day before.   ;D

• Does my bum look big in this?
  • Liked: 0
Re: Settlement Visa Question....
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2005, 02:37:41 AM »
I noticed that the BritainUSA website said I need BOTH parents' passports for the kids' visa application.  If my ex doesn't have a passport, does that mean he has to get one before I can apply for the visas?  (Starting to stress a little bit about the whole process as it gets closer to reality.... :P)
When I am grown-up I will understand how BEAUTIFUL it feels to administrate my life effectively.

Until then I will continue to TORCH all correspondence that bores me and to dance NAKED over the remnants of its still glowing embers.

~The Interesting Thoughts of Edward Monkton

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab