Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Anyone familiar with Hastings area?  (Read 1213 times)

• Living by the sea with the man of my dreams!
  • Liked: 0
Anyone familiar with Hastings area?
« on: July 10, 2003, 11:05:50 AM »
Keith and I drove out to the Hastings area last Sat.  We picked up some Estate agent flyers and saw some of the housing prices.  Wow, they were so much less expensive then some in the towns closer to London (including Tonbridge where we're renting at the moment).  We're thinking of maybe buying a house farther out since you can get so much more for the money.  We don't have to work in London as our company gives us the choice to either work from home and/ or from a satellite location, which there are many all over the UK (we work for BT). I don't know that we'd want to live right in Hastings but there seems to be some nice areas on the outskirts of town plus some nice smaller towns as well.  Does anyone live in that general area?  

Any other ideas of attractive, pleasant towns that are 60 miles or so from London that are nice and more reasonably priced?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2003, 11:07:02 AM by runner1 »
Life should NOT be a journey to the
grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well
preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand,
wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and
screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

• The Key to life is making the best of change.
Re: Anyone familiar with Hastings area?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2003, 11:32:46 AM »
Hi Runner,

We have been to Hastings.  You might want to try Rye.  It is nicer.  But over all the area is really nice and cheerful.  Hastings is in the process of starting a regeneration program.  It is an economically depressed region, hence, cheep housing.  But knowing that they are trying to rebuild to former glory might work in your favor.  What regions are you thinking?  Because I can let you know where we have been looking as well.  

George and I have started to look but are taking our time.  I really need to be working before we can purchase a home.  But I think house prices are stabalizing and starting the slow decent.  The Bank of England also dropped half a precentage point yesturday.  It is now a waiting game to hit the crossing of declining house prices and low interest rates.  

Cheers,

[smiley=daisy.gif]
We all have shadows of self doubt in the corners of our beings self respect is an ongoing prcoess of vigilance.  It means learning to be able to live by an internal compass. - Sara Lawrence Lightfoot

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2003, 08:24:05 PM »
I love Rye, it's one of my favorite places but I think I'd rather live in a town or village that's a bit bigger.

I'm glad they're regenerating Hastings as it's a bit scuzzy looking in some areas.  We're going to look at Bexhill on Sea and some outlying areas as well.  We do really love Tonbridge though so it's going to be a difficult decision!

• The Key to life is making the best of change.
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2003, 11:43:50 AM »
Hi Runner,

Tonbridge is a nice region as well.  Very close to London!  I know for me, I would not pick a place that is not at least a large city.  We now live in a small town and it is like living in a fish bowl.  I hate it.  But than again I have always hated small town life.  

Rye is very nice.  I always love going there.  Bidenden (spelling??) is nice as well!  My H proposed to me there.  Bidenden is very expensive to live and no jobs.  

Cheers,

[smiley=daisy.gif]
We all have shadows of self doubt in the corners of our beings self respect is an ongoing prcoess of vigilance.  It means learning to be able to live by an internal compass. - Sara Lawrence Lightfoot

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2003, 01:25:56 AM »
Hi!  Me again.  I visited Hastings recently and really liked it there.  I know lots of artists are moving there and I think it would be a good investment to buy there.  Also consider Eastbourne.  Just read an article that lots of Brighton people are moving there and it is going to be quite a cool place one of these days.  Very pretty and house prices are very affordable, especially for being by the sea.  But a bit quite for me.

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2003, 12:18:22 AM »
Thanks again, NYin B!  We're still considering that area too.  I know someone who lives in Battle (close by Hastings) and he loves it.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab