Sponsored Links

Topic: Help  (Read 1364 times)

• Banned

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • NGUNN.NET WEBSITE
  • Liked: 0
Help
« on: July 13, 2003, 12:47:50 PM »
am wondering, Do I have to file a tax return as I was disabled in states and my mom always counted me as a dependant...since moving to the UK...I never thought about filing..recently I found out when my passport runs out I have to get a new one..in about 10 years mind you..but they need a tax return statement for me to renew...

Am I suppost to be filing a tax return even though I have no income in states..PLEASE help..

Thanks
Cynda
Cynda Gunn

Re: Help
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2003, 06:20:39 PM »
..recently I found out when my passport runs out I have to get a new one..in about 10 years mind you..but they need a tax return statement for me to renew...

I just had a look at the US Embassy site for renewing passports if you are an American living abroad, and it doesn't say anything about showing a tax return statement in order to renew a passport.

• Banned

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • NGUNN.NET WEBSITE
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2003, 06:43:24 PM »
From Chris's site at http://www.hansenhome.demon.co.uk/USTaxes.html

The kicker is this: when you go to your U.S. Embassy or Consulate in your country of residence to renew your passport, the consulate staff check your name and Social Security number with the Internal Revenue Service. If you have not filed tax returns in the past, your passport may not be renewed until you do file. Thus, you won't be able easily to re-enter the U.S., even if you are a dual citizen with a valid passport from your second country of citizenship.
Cynda Gunn

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2003, 07:52:49 PM »
From Chris's site at http://www.hansenhome.demon.co.uk/USTaxes.html

The kicker is this: when you go to your U.S. Embassy or Consulate in your country of residence to renew your passport, the consulate staff check your name and Social Security number with the Internal Revenue Service. If you have not filed tax returns in the past, your passport may not be renewed until you do file. Thus, you won't be able easily to re-enter the U.S., even if you are a dual citizen with a valid passport from your second country of citizenship.

Ok, I checked the US Embassy site.  I did not see anything about having to file a tax return before renewing a passport.  Also, I looked at the State Departments form DS-0082 (the form you use for renewal) and the only thing it mentions about tax is as follows:

Federal Tax Law
26 U.S.C 6039E (Internal Revenue Code) requires a passport applicant to provide his or her name and social security number.  If you have not been issued a social security number, enter zeros in the appropriate boxes.  The U.S. Department of State must provide this information to the Internal Revenue Service routinely.  Any applicant who fails to provide the required information is subject to a $500 penalty enforced by the IRS.  All questions on this matter should be referred to the nearest IRS office.

I can't imagine why the passport people would need to know about ones tax returns before issuing a renewal. Seeing as how they never asked for such information when one initially applies for a passport.  Furthermore, I cannot and will not believe that the United States Government will refuse entry to a citizen just because the citizen did not file a tax return.  In addition, why would the U.S deny entry to someone who has dual citizenship?
I mean, if I held a British Passport, why would the U.S deny me entry?

I think I would be inclined to believe what the  U.S. Embassy has to say about the matter over Chris (whoever he is).

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2003, 10:35:28 PM »
I renewed my passport in the last couple of years and there was NO question about tax-returns (which would have been a problem for me).  It was not an issue.  I just filled in the passport form, sent it in, and got it back all within a couple of weeks.  

• Banned

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • NGUNN.NET WEBSITE
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2003, 10:58:44 PM »
Thank You
Cynda Gunn

Sponsored Links