Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Should I go?  (Read 1494 times)

• Born in the USA...but Scottish by blood
  • Liked: 0
Should I go?
« on: July 21, 2003, 07:44:46 PM »
Hi everyone! Just need some advice...I'm currently in college in the US and am very interested in the St Andrews University (Scotland) junior year study abroad program. If anyone has done this, or can offer any info about living in Scotland (costs compared to the US, etc.), please let me know. I really want to do this, but I've got to have some great reasons as to why I should to convince my parents! Thanks!  :)

Re: Should I go?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2003, 08:13:08 PM »
Well you could go the old 'chance of a life time' route, or you could try 'I might meet Prince William and he'll fall madly in love with me.....'  Just kidding-it IS the chance of a life time, go for it!  My advise is to do all the traveling you can when you're young and have no ties.  You'd have a blast and get something cool to put on your resume.   :)

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2003, 09:38:48 PM »
Hi Lauren, It took me AGES to convince my parents to let me go to a UK university, and this was starting out as a first year student, not a junior year abroad thing! Like Mindy said, tell them it's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity--- which is true!!! Also, make sure to tell them that it will broaden your horizons, teach you about other cultures, help you become more adaptable to new environments, give you a diverse educational experience, help you appreciate other customs and traditions, and it'll look great on your resume. Those are some of the tricks I used, and they worked, eventually!  ;)

I don't know much about living in Scotland because I haven't actually lived there, but I have visited St. Andrew's, and it's a pretty place. I believe it's very focused on golf, because I remember seeing a lot of golf shops around everywhere and people playing golf. I'm not into golf at all, but I thought that was pretty interesting. The downside of being in Scotland is the fact that it's almost always overcast and rainy, but the upside is it has beautiful rolling hills and breath-taking scenery.

Hope this helped!!!!  :)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2003, 09:39:26 PM by sarah »

• wench
  • Gin-soaked Floozie

• Caution: wench on board
    • Wenchstead
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2003, 06:37:25 PM »
::points to Yankgirl:: Yup, what she said.  ;D

Good luck!
wench