Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Shall we indulge in a teeny bit of complaining  (Read 20278 times)

• If I don't surface in 3 minutes,  come get me
  • Liked: 0
Shall we indulge in a teeny bit of complaining
« on: July 01, 2002, 02:05:48 AM »
I'm not starting a war,  after all I think that anglo/american relations are very important  (especially in our house!)

but,  we do hear about the lack of  Applebees,   the hardness of the water,  the size of wardrobes,  and the fact that light switches go down instead of up!!

All fun of course,   in the UK we purposely make things tough like that !

BUT....  ok   in a fun way (of course),   what's mildly irritating about your American partner/ spouse/f riend / acquaintance ?  And remember , this is just for fun , and to ever so slightly get up their noses!  No one is to get a broken arm over this right! (Petty things only on here I think..... no mentioning about how they always complain about NHS, even though its free! ..right?  nothing like that !)

Now I have to think of one since I kicked off.ummmm

OK I got one.  ....tell me if this is just Pam or not.  We have plates that can be used and then washed. So,   why is it necessary to eat toast in the mornings off Kitchen paper Towels?

Might as well do another one while I'm here...

The parking brake in a car is for parking! . it's not just there for decoration (or to stop your coffee cup falling over)

Ok,   I'll leave it there before she comes in, logs in, and beats me (again).

[smiley=furious.gif] [smiley=furious.gif] [smiley=furious.gif]
[smiley=joker.gif]
« Last Edit: July 01, 2002, 02:06:33 AM by UKSteve »
Steve ( Mr Pam/Itsbcoz...u know what I mean)

• Liked: 24
Re: Shall we indulge in a teeny bit of complaining
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2002, 07:54:31 PM »
OK I got one.  ....tell me if this is just Pam or not.  We have plates that can be used and then washed. So,   why is it necessary to eat toast in the mornings off Kitchen paper Towels?

LOL, I do this too.  [smiley=laugh4.gif]

I'm not supposed to be in here, just seeing how it's going. Looking good sir. ;)

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2002, 11:36:46 PM »
My Ell is a disaster in the kitchen!  

Her idea of a good meal is a roast with tatties - nothing else, nae gravy, no other veg - just tatties.

The roast by the way was delicious. ;)

Then there was the time she tried to microwave chicken patties.  They ended up as pure unadultered charcoal and stunk the kitchen up for weeks. Just as well the smoke alarm didn't have a bleeding battery in it cus we wouldn't have been able to stop it.

And then there's cheese.  Most folk cut a slice of cheese or two to put on sandwhich.  Ell cuts a slice or two off the cheese and takes the big bit. :o

Six months and I'm still trying to teach her to use the washing machine. How's that for men's lib? ::)

And maybe this is just Ell - what is it with all the soaps?  We've got soaps that look and smell nice enough to eat.  [smiley=laugh4.gif]

I've had to teach her what her legs are for - walking.  This concept must be foreign to the States.  I must keep coming up with phrases such as "It's just around the corner Sweetheart, honestly."  (She's starting to catch on.) :-/

At the end of the day it's a big adventure, and it's fun experiencing these little differences with the one I love.

And WHAT do YOU call THIS then.......?

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2002, 01:05:33 AM »
Wow Kilty,   you had those saved up didn't you.  Very funny of course...don't forget we're on a comedy escapade here, so we're poking that fun in a semi-cruel way.

However..you reminded me about Pam's culinary prowess.  Her main secret ingredients in the kitchen are milk and butter and maybe an egg; after all, most of the recipes she gets working on involve, opening the packet and then adding one, some or all of the above.  Apparently that's the way it is....split a packet, pop a can, open a bottle,  and then warm it in some way ...and hey its done.

and Leah...who said you are not allowed in here?   No one's excluded,  I didn't think.

Anyone else  had something burning them up inside.?

and finally Kiltman...welcome to the area...you sound like a funny guy! (funny in a good way i mean)

• I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them.
    • Our Site
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2002, 10:24:39 AM »
[smiley=chef.gif]  Not sure at all of whom he is speaking.
[smiley=thinking.gif]
"I was working on the proof of one of my poems all the morning, and took out a comma. In the afternoon I put it back again." Oscar Wilde

• I hate Mondays too!!!
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2002, 09:23:39 PM »
Oh baby, this is going to be fun...................... Need to control myself.  Breath in, breath out, breath in, breath out..... ;)

OK, lets start of very gently and see how far we get without being battered.  [smiley=smash.gif]

What is it with leftovers and reheating yesterday's food?  Do you guys have to deal with this too?  Our fridge is sometimes filled with leftovers from Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.  Sorry forgot Friday.  Do Americans ever throw anything away?
Dial 0800-HELP-SPOUSE when in need (members only)!

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2002, 03:06:27 AM »
you hit a nerve there, BB - islandgirl lives for leftovers. drives me crazy! and i'm surrounded by leftover-mania when i visit her family in hawaii  :-/

i might also add that we were at a nice greek restaurant last weekend, she kept insisting that i get her a doggy bag! bad enough i am faced with leftovers from goodness-knows-when/where at home, now we have to bring them back from 'outside' !

::)

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2002, 03:10:39 AM »
ok, I know I'm not supposed to be in here-and it's your space and everything-but do you think that your fear of leftovers may have something to do with being  slaves to the almighty SELL BY date? ;)

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2002, 03:16:35 AM »
I'm REALLY not supposed to be here - I don't even have a spouse!  But I have to stick up for Pam and her culinary skills.  As a single mom - which she was - I cook pretty much the same way!  I can mix together cans and packets and boxed ingredients to make gourmet meals!!  That doesn't mean I don't love to make a wonderful pot roast and veggies from time to time.  When I HAVE the time...!

My boyfriend was wonderful about it when I insisted on boxing up the leftovers of our Indian meal one night last year...and he thoroughly enjoyed them when I reheated them the next night - as did his brother!  So there!  I guess Brits weren't told about all those kids in China who would love to have the food we didn't eat...
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

• NYState_of_Mind
  • FAMILIE, GOD & VADERLAND! Zonder de een heb je niet de anderen!!

• Never forget what it MEANS to be an AMERICAN...
    • Uncover Fahrenheit for what it is
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2002, 05:51:15 AM »
.......... Need to control myself.  Breath in, breath out, breath in, breath out..... ;)

(As for leftovers - hey when you're poor you don't throw food away.  That's way it was in my house.) Yeah, you better control yourself if you want me to come back to London honey, darling, sweetie, the love of my life.  ;)

Aah, go ahead and have fun.  Don't let me stop you  [smiley=evilgrin.gif]
« Last Edit: July 04, 2002, 06:40:41 AM by NYState_of_Mind »
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile--hoping it will eat him last."Forgiveness is up to God. I just hope we hurry up the meeting." 02.08.03, Gen. Schwarzkoph It's the SILENT MAJORITY that COUNTS not the LOUD MINORITY that CONSTANTLY WINES! http://www.leftnuts.com/images/fu_marines1.jpg
www.protestwarrior.com Proud Member of the V.R.W.C.

• and you are?
    • biggest APPLE
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2002, 06:35:16 AM »
Well, I have to say I've never been nig on leftovers. Growing up in NY the rule was eat it or chuck it.

As for walking this must be a State specific issue. In your larger cities no one drive unless driven in a cab or bus. I always walk everywhere.

Learning to use the washing machine - how hard can this be? I picked it up within the first five minutes of moving here. I think you're being suckered my friend!

O.K. - the defense rests  :)

• larrrrry larry curlycurlymoemo e
    • Earl Apricot of Eisentrubble
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2002, 11:12:09 AM »
i too don't belong on this board, having no spouse, but had to give my 2p on some of these things...

re: leftovers:  i think it is a good policy not to waste food whenever possible.  i used to throw leftovers away to avoid the hassle of putting them in a piece of tupperware etc... but then sean came along (my boyfriend, a canadian).. sean is a food-conservation enthusiast.. so i learned fast, and now i think it's the best way to be.  now i *intentionally* make too much of a dish so i'll have enough for the next day's lunch break.. perhaps enough for the day after that as well.  it's so convenient!

re: walking: i walk everywhere too.  no car for me, thanks.  i came from a place that is virtually dependant on cars (unless you both live and work straight downtown, and you don't know anybody who lives in a suburb), but i'm sooooooo happy to be in a place that doesn't require a car.

re: cheese: i am the same as ell.  i lovvvvvvvvve cheeeeeeeese.  life would not be worth living without it.  but i thought that was because i was born in wisconsin...
"i being an animal don't know what an instinct is unless it tastes good" - Codfish Alice

"are you telling me you don't see the connection between government and laughing at ppl?" - anon.

• having one of those days...
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2002, 11:53:16 AM »
AHA! caught ya, orb!

ok,sorryto butt in on the spouse house,but i have to clarify something...

honey,the doggie bag was actually FOR the dog, so i don't see why you were so embarrassed.  if the waiter was on my side of the table, i would've asked (there was entertainment so he couldn't hear me).  otherwise i would've just asked for a box like at pizza hut.  peedal is very lucky. :)  hmm, i seem to remember that brits use leftover potatoes for 'bubble and squeak' so leftovers is not THAT uncommon!

i do the kitchen towel thing too, for toast and cookies.  why? i LOATHE washing dishes and with only 2 of us it's not worth running the dishwasher.  speaking of cookies, what is so wrong with having a glass of milk with some chocolate chip cookies? i can't understand that.   ;D
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be.
--Douglas Adams

• I hate Mondays too!!!
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2002, 01:59:00 PM »
Heh ladies, what happened to "this is a place where you can have a good old moan without being battered"?  >:( >:(

Well guys, looking at the reactions we are getting to OUR little corner I guess this blows out our own little grievance corner, huh?  :-[ :-[

Lets have a vote.  Who is all in favour of going to the 'real' grievance area and reply to some of the postings there?  I think we have been too nice..... or is it, we are being smart and keeping quiet? ;) ;)

Steve, I told you that you would get me into trouble!!! :-/
« Last Edit: July 04, 2002, 01:59:49 PM by Belgian_Beer »
Dial 0800-HELP-SPOUSE when in need (members only)!

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2002, 02:15:38 PM »
Glen, I thought that we would all get in trouble.....but that's part of the fun.   Isn't it just great watching us all wash their dirty linen in public!   (in a non violent/bantering mode!)

And as for doing  commando style hit on the GRIEVANCE section,   .....that's just what they are expectin us to do. heheeheeh   ........   gotta regroup and think of a strategy!

I'm glad I started his thread..... I feel I'm helping all us spouses work out the hang ups that naturally surround eating old food, and destoying the ranforests!
I'm such  a troublemaker...but no apologies!

keep it up guys.... let it out!!  we can work through this
« Last Edit: July 04, 2002, 02:18:40 PM by UKSteve »

Sponsored Links