Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Shall we indulge in a teeny bit of complaining  (Read 17302 times)

• I hate Mondays too!!!
  • Liked: 0
Re: Shall we indulge in a teeny bit of complaining
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2002, 03:02:10 PM »
I'm glad I started his thread..... I feel I'm helping all us spouses work out the hang ups that naturally surround eating old food, and destoying the ranforests!

Helping?  You have a funny way of helping us guys.  I hope you don't do charity if  this is helping! ;D

keep it up guys.... let it out!!  we can work through this

What if we ask Leah to change the Spouse House so that only the spouses can write to it and the others can only read.  That's like chinese torture to most of them! ;) ;)
Dial 0800-HELP-SPOUSE when in need (members only)!

• If I don't surface in 3 minutes,  come get me
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2002, 04:15:44 PM »
Glen you have a twisted, devious and conniving mind.

Well done Sir!
Steve ( Mr Pam/Itsbcoz...u know what I mean)

• I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them.
    • Our Site
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2002, 11:05:57 PM »
In my own defense - I come from Oklahoma.  If you try to rely on a cab or a bus - you're in deep trouble.  ;)  Oklahoma City is one of the 10 largest cities in the US - area wise.  Hoof it?  Nah...  [smiley=smug2.gif]

And as for the washing machine - it's an upgrade from the one that used to have a stick holding the door shut. (Note: It doesn't take much to upgrade from that - just a couple of hinges.  [smiley=laugh4.gif] )

I'd do better with cheese if we had sharper knives.

But all in all, I must concede that KiltMan is correct when he says I am a disaster in the kitchen.  ???

"I was working on the proof of one of my poems all the morning, and took out a comma. In the afternoon I put it back again." Oscar Wilde

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2002, 08:20:42 PM »
But all in all, I must concede that KiltMan is correct when he says I am a disaster in the kitchen.  ???

Now, chaps - isn't this admission enough to make you want to keep the Spouse House open?!  Takes a strong woman to admit this!
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

• what you talkin bout lewis?
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2002, 08:17:53 AM »
ha...she is just trying to disarm you for when she realy hits you...you keep thinking that..silly men

ooooops..you caught me spying..sorry guys(not)

hehe 8)
wann sum chocky chippy cookie dough?

« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2002, 12:28:53 AM »
.... Do Americans ever throw anything away?

Are you mad?!?!

My life was nicely ordered before I married Jill.  I was quite happy to stack/bag newspaper, magazines card and cardboard, glass, cans (both aluminium and steel), plastic (PET and others) for recycling, and vegetable waste went in the compost heap.

The result of this was that I could get by producing one small kitchen bin full of waste for the dustman each MONTH.

Once I got married every time I turned my back EVERYTHING went into the bin, which needless to say meant that the bin was always full and needed emptying.  Not only that but bins started sprouting like mushrooms, one in every room. [smiley=stunned.gif]

But, oooh!  If I ever got caught removing things from the bin I was in biiiiig trouble.  [smiley=uhoh.gif]  It didn't stop me, I just had to creep down at night, or early in the morning.   [smiley=sneaky.gif]

Now we are in the US we produce a wheely bin full each WEEK.  Once we are settled I am looking forward to getting some recycling going again. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
« Last Edit: September 01, 2002, 12:32:38 AM by Mr_Val »
Richard

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2002, 05:20:12 AM »
Hey Mr Val,
Now you will have the huge refrigerator to recycle as well all sorts of things can be tucked away and kept cool until it is time to bin them.
Should we mark a bin by date on the all the tasty leftovers as they are stashed away? ;D

« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2002, 02:02:35 AM »
Hey Mr Val,
Now you will have the huge refrigerator to recycle .....
Should we mark a bin by date on the all the tasty leftovers .... ? ;D

I guess that the fridge might might need recycling eventually, but rather like American cars, American fridges seem to go on for ever.  

There is no need for a bin-by date, you can tell things should  be chucked if you'd have to shave them before you could eat them! [smiley=sick.gif]
Richard

« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2002, 08:58:35 AM »
.... The parking brake in a car is for parking! . it's not just there for decoration (or to stop your coffee cup falling over)
]

UKSteve, you'll like this ....

I moved, with my American wife, to the US last November, and recently took the plunge, went native, and ordered a truck.  Everyone has one, it's somehow necessary, especially  if you live away from an urban area.  

Anyway, in I plunged, but being British I ordered a manual when most are automatic.  It is very nice, leather seats and a crew cab, CD player and all the toys, but where is the pigging handbrake!??!   [smiley=stunned.gif]

"How am I supposed to do a hill start?"  I asked my wife, for it is very hilly in the Appalachian mountains where we are currently living.

"Catch it on the clutch and move your foot quickly to the gas." comes back the reply!  Thanks muchly!

This truck is no toy, it weighs 2½ tons, and so far I haven't had a problem, but my heart does miss a beat sometimes, especially when someone pulls up close behind me at traffic lights on an up-hill slope.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2002, 09:01:20 AM by Mr_Val »
Richard

• I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them.
    • Our Site
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2002, 11:31:10 AM »
[smiley=cowboy.gif] Floor it and let off the clutch little at a time. If you roll into someone behind you - it's their fault for being up your rear.  ;)

You can tell the Officer that when he arrives on the scene.
;D
"I was working on the proof of one of my poems all the morning, and took out a comma. In the afternoon I put it back again." Oscar Wilde

« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2003, 10:42:20 AM »
Well, this is my first post since my wife (the Yankee) beat me into signing up...  Seemed a good place to start was here.

Gripes about UKYs.... hmmm, well, where to start.... *minimises the screen while wifey peeks*

Well, the biggest one has got to be the tendancy for my darling better (?) half to shout instead of talk... it's like there is no quiet voices in america, just loud ones.  I've considered getting a hearing aid, just so i can turn it down... LOL

Don't get me wrong, I love the accent, and she can speak softly... though that's a subject for an entirely different type of chat forum  ;)  But when she deafens me asking for a glass of soda (coke to us real Brits :) ), I kinda wonder if maybe americans are all born with hearing impairment?  Any other theories on this from my fellow sufferers?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2003, 07:16:05 PM by kokoryu »

« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2003, 07:20:05 PM »
*looks at her darling hubby with an evil glint in her eyes* [smiley=evil.gif]

I don't really talk too loud, maybe i'm just getting over excited because you aren't listening to me. *giggles*

Ok ok Maybe I do, but its ummm genetic???  You believe me right??

*scampers off outta the thread she's *not* supposed to be intruding on*

• When God made man she was only joking.
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2003, 04:48:24 PM »
Being a newbie I have only just got started and have really enjoyed reading all the posts on this particular thread.  It seems to me that everything is pretty even-handed as the Yanks (bless 'em) have their 'winge thread' but they maker up for it by also having a thread specifically for what they love about the UK - so I guess we haven't really got much need to get our own back.

Having said that, it is fun to scratch that itch produced by living with an alien!

My own pet confusion is the apparent American need to buy everything in bulk.  Looking in our frig last night, I noticed that we now have enough milk to last us into the summer - and much of it will be green by then - my wife was the one who posted elsewhere asking why you can't get milk by the gallon.  The reason, of course, is that few families will ever get through that much before it goes sour.  Maybe the Americans just drink that much more milk than we do - and more butter, etc.  Now I know they have a cholesterol problem that is a national epidemic but I don't particularly want to join them in that.

Just taken a peek in of the other kitchen cupboards - we now have stock cubes to last into next year!

OK - I'll leave it there.  After all's said, they are lovely though, aren't they?

« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2005, 04:50:22 PM »
What is it with leftovers and reheating yesterday's food?  Do you guys have to deal with this too?  Our fridge is sometimes filled with leftovers from Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.  Sorry forgot Friday.  Do Americans ever throw anything away?

OMG - I so know what you mean, the last time I visited, Andrea cooked for me (which by the way tased very good) but then to my horror proceeded to eat the leftovers for the next 3 days.  AND do any Americans take any notice of the Best Before it Kills you date on food ;)

« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2005, 04:56:49 PM »
Such a funny thread! I think I mentioned sell by dates a few months ago. Im American and unless the food can walk out of the fridge itself it STAYS! I hate wasting food! My Brit hubby throws stuff away on a daily basis as if it were gonna explode in your stomach if you eat it a few days past the sell by date.

Also Im a toast on napkin type girl too! lol

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab