Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Change of name  (Read 2021 times)

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
Change of name
« on: August 04, 2003, 04:47:44 PM »
Well, the boys' last names have been changed from my maiden name to my married name!!

MANY thanks to elle for helping make it all happen!!!!!    [smiley=hug.gif]

We did it by Statutory Declaration, since that's the only way the Embassy will accept name change for the passports.  Well, they accept it - but they also want THREE forms of ID showing the boys using the name!!  They are children - what 3 forms of ID should they have?!

However, the Social Security office DID take the name change - so the SS cards will be one form of ID.  The new NHS cards will be the second.  And their school records once they return in September will be the third.  So I can't get the passports changed as soon as I'd hoped, but it won't be much longer.  In the meantime, the names have been changed at the GP, the dentist, NHS, Social Security...we'll be sending out "change of name" announcements to family and friends as well.

Anyway - not sure how many others there were/are/will be in my position able to do this.  But I wanted to pass on my experience anyway!   ;)
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

Re: Change of name
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2003, 05:00:28 PM »
Yay!!!!  So glad I could help, sweetie!  It's ALL GOOD!  Looking forward to hearing the passports got changed!  Woo hoo!!!

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2003, 06:16:55 PM »
Oooh, congratulations! I bet you must all bea really happy about this - and in no time it will all be official! :) Big hugs!
I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2003, 10:11:11 AM »
Excited doesn't begin to cover it!  The younger one has been asking to change his name since BEFORE the wedding!!   ::)

I can't wait to change their names at school... ;D ;D ;D

- Benjamin Franklin

• wench
  • Gin-soaked Floozie

• Caution: wench on board
    • Wenchstead
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2003, 04:34:12 PM »
Gratz!  :D

Name changes are fun hehe. :)
wench
Ask and ye shall be babbled at.

• Liked: 4
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2003, 08:53:22 PM »
Congrats Peedal.....

Did you husband adopt the boys or was this just a name change only (I realize their father isnt in the picture).  Steve would LOVE to adopt my kids but, I cant see their biological dad ever allowing it (I'll keep dreaming).  I wonder how long they must go without contact from him before we can call it abandonment?  Would be grounds for adopting over here?  
"A nation which does not remember what it was yesterday does not know where it is today."
--Robert E. Lee

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2003, 01:29:20 PM »
ItsBcoz, this was only a name change.  Even though their fathers aren't really in the picture, they ARE paying court-ordered child support.  (Actually, as of 19 June, only one is paying support - the other seems to have done ANOTHER runner...>:( )  So adoption wasn't really an option, because it would take having actual contact with the jerks to do it.   :P  Changing their names was easy because the situation was considered "unmarried father, no contact" and so the Clerk to the Justices didn't have any problem signing the Declarations.

I don't know how long it takes before you consider no contact actual desertion.  You might want to contact the Embassy for some kind of assistance on what they'll accept in your situation.  Makes it much easier around here having the same name...no more letters from the schools to "Mr. & Mrs. *My maiden name*"!!   ;)

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2003, 01:30:50 PM »
Congratulations!  You should a "Happy Name Change" Party!!! ;D

We're moving house soon, too, so we're probably going to have one big celebration once we've moved!  Wonderful idea!!! ;D

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2003, 06:45:30 PM »
Yeah I know what you mean about making life easier if everyone has the same name  :(   i get that all the same .... i just politely say...my name is Mrs. H not Mrs. W.  

for some strange reason when we enrolled the kids at their present school...we completed all the school forms with everyones correct names... WELL  ... first day of school kids came home saying teachers called them H not the W.  I called and sorted it all out... BUT then the very last day of school....my oldest received a certificate of completion of yr6 (in front of the entire school) and the head teacher called out Sarah H.  The class teacher came up an apologized afterwards.  (didnt bother me ...i would rather her be an H then a W, LOL).  Sarah was the one that was embarassed, bkz all her friends were wondering why the Head Teacher called out the wrong name.  Oh well...they presented her with a corrected certificate and life goes on.
"A nation which does not remember what it was yesterday does not know where it is today."
--Robert E. Lee

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2003, 09:32:34 AM »
You know, somewhere on the Embassy page telling what they'll take for a name change it mentions you can get the passport amended to show an "also known as" if you can show they've been using the name for five years...maybe you should change the school records back!   ;D

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2003, 06:34:44 PM »
thanks peedal
--Robert E. Lee

Sponsored Links