Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Driving in England  (Read 6088 times)

• Living by the sea with the man of my dreams!
  • Liked: 0
Driving in England
« on: August 18, 2003, 07:18:13 PM »
Does anyone find it very intimidating,scary, nerve wracking driving in England?  [smiley=anxious.gif]  I've had my DL for 27 years (back in US) and have driven both manual and automatic transmissions but still find driving here really difficult (we have a manual trans)!  My poor FH has been taking me out but we've decided that I'm going to take some driving lessons...both so I'm more comfortable driving here and to "retrain" me a bit for the driving test I'll eventually take.  Just wondering about other American drivers' perspectives!  

« Last Edit: August 20, 2003, 09:50:56 PM by runner1 »
Life should NOT be a journey to the
grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well
preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand,
wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and
screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

• Witchiepoo
  • Liked: 3
Re: Driving in England
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2003, 07:42:05 PM »
I've been driving here for nearly four years and I still find it a daunting task.  My biggest problem is judging distance on the left-hand side of the car because that's where I'm used to sitting.  I often find myself driving closer to the center line, rather than the edge of the road, because I can judge where the center line is.

I think driving lessons will be of immense help.  Not only will you get out on the roads with a qualified instructor, but it gives you the chance to re-learn some possibly bad habits we all get into after being experienced drivers.

For instance, I learned to push in my clutch and hold it down as I prepared to stop.  Over here they call that coasting and require that you be 'in gear' with the clutch up until the very last minute, then pop it into the appropriate gear.
Insert wonderfully creative signature here …

• Maggie
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2003, 07:42:06 PM »
YES!  I sure did. Hubby wasn't real good at showing me what I should and shouldn't do, so I took about three lessons to make sure I was doing what they would want me to do when I took my test.  Just be calm when you go and study up and you will do fine.  I think more people fail because of nerves and nothing else.  It is extremely daunting and nothing like any other test I have taken in about 4 states...no worries..You will be fine when the time comes...just don't be hard on yourself.   ;D   ;D  
RIP my dear sweet Bailey...sorry you had to die so young....

• The Key to life is making the best of change.
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2003, 08:36:30 PM »
Hi Sandy,

I took driving lessons.  I swear Keith, my driving instructor, has nerves of steal that or is drunk 24/7.  He is very calm and was so helpful.  I still hate driving here but at least I can do it.  I think driving in town will always be difficult.  But if the only advice I can give is to take lessons.  

Cheers,
Moi
We all have shadows of self doubt in the corners of our beings self respect is an ongoing prcoess of vigilance.  It means learning to be able to live by an internal compass. - Sara Lawrence Lightfoot

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2003, 10:09:04 PM »
I'm quite nervous about it - and will eventually be taking lessons. I don't know how to drive a stick, so I'll be learning that as well, and it's a bit daunting to do it backwards methinks. I've drive our car here, but it's a Shogun, which is taller than a normal car, and I freaked out that I had to drive so CLOSE to the left-hand curb, and was so high up I had no idea how close I really was. I think if I had been in a normal sized car it would have been different. But I will learn to drive eventually, mainly with the sprog coming, I think it will make things easier. But I'm also waiting until we move back to Cmabridgeshire, no freaking WAY I'm driving in a place as busy as where I live now. :)
I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2003, 11:12:32 PM »
I don't know how to drive a stick either  :(  I think I'll give myself the full year to figure it all out.  If I'm not ready by then to take the test on driving standard then I just won't.  I'll stay with an automatic.  I'm not sure I'll be coordinated enough to do this.  
Give a man an inch and he thinks he's a ruler!

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2003, 11:15:03 PM »
I had to take driving lessons, as I'd never learned to drive a manual car and that's all we had. I swore I'd never, ever, EVER be able to do it. Now I can..got my license 2 years ago, too! But yes, I'm still nervous if I'm not familiar with the road. They're so narrow! I can drive to and from work with my eyes closed and a few other places, too. All I'll say is, the more you practice, the better you'll be. I've only had one accident, but it wasn't my fault...someone hit me from behind!  ::)

• Liked: 4
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2003, 11:21:06 PM »
like you ...ive been driving for atleast 20yrs.  i was very frustrated when i had to take UK driving lessons.  i went through 2 instructors before finding one that wouldnt treat me like an idiot...after all i did know how to turn the ignition switch on already...geez.  
"A nation which does not remember what it was yesterday does not know where it is today."
--Robert E. Lee

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2003, 10:07:15 AM »
I'm rather surprised I was able to make the transition as well as I have. I thought my biggest obstacle was going to remember what side of the road to stay on. Nope, for me it was the traffic lights. they are placed funny and I don't always get what arrow means for what lane when there are four traffic lights all at the same intersection, some doing something different.

I think for me is that when I am familiar with an area, it feels funny to be driving on a particular side and I just automatically adjust. Hard to explain.

What really threw me was going back to the place I used to live in the states. For some cosmopolitan reason they decided to put roundabouts in one residential area on a street I used to always use as a shortcut. I hit one of these roundabouts and had to stop! I could not for the life of me figure out how to go through it!
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

• Fat people are hard to kidnap.
    • Flickr
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2003, 03:17:58 PM »
LisaE, I'm so glad you said that, because I've not had a problem either.  I was really nervous about driving to begin with, but once I actually got the nerve up to do it, it's been fine!  I've never made a terrible mistake (like going on the wrong side of the road) and it feels normal now.

I agree with you though... sometimes the lights trip me up terribly... ESPECIALLY if it's somewhere I haven't been before.

-Lisa numero dos-
If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. ~Carl Sagan

• wench
  • Gin-soaked Floozie

• Caution: wench on board
    • Wenchstead
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2003, 04:32:31 PM »
I'm learning atm, after driving in the states since I was 16.  :P  Still, the lessons are giving me confidence.  I got to 2nd gear on my first lesson!  :D

Stick shift's are a big ol pain in the rear tho, automatic's will always have my heart.  ;D
wench
Ask and ye shall be babbled at.

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2003, 05:27:26 PM »
I hear that wench!  I had a "lesson" from Chris last visit over.  We were in a roundabout but in a park.  No traffic lol  It last about a half hour.  I made it around a few times.  But of course stalled the car numerous times etc.  I was so tense that my legs ached afterward!  This was not an easy thing.  I would definitely take lessons too.

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2003, 01:55:14 AM »
Oh dear....

I have to say that driving is one of the things that has been giving me mucho anxiety!  I have always been a really good driver- I've had my license for 15 years in the US and have never gotten a ticket! BUT- I've always driven automatic and I must face facts that Chris (my hubby hehe) will never consider getting anything other than a manual hehe So- I'm going to have to face my fears and learn to drive stick AND on the wrong side of the car/road! AAAAACK!

I'm still a nervous passenger when actually in the passenger seat on roads other than the M25 sort. We've discussed my learning to drive at great length because it's really concerned me that once we move out into the country -away from London and plentiful and mostly reliable public transport!- I'm going to feel less independent. I don't want to have Chris chauffeur me around forever! So- we're hoping to find a teacher with some experience teaching folks that have come from abroad. No way will I let Chris teach me! My Dad tried to teach me manual about 10 years ago and we see where that left me! (Forever buying automatics!)

*fingers crossed* that I will be able to live up to the challenge! I have to!!

Jen
(Uk driving chicken- bok bok BOK!)  ;)

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2003, 05:44:43 PM »
Awwww Jen.  I feel for you here.  I can understand so much.  I am like you.  I don't want my Chris to teach me either.  My license doesn't renew until 05 so I have the year really.  I should be able to learn a stick in a year - right?  right?  

You'll keep us informed of how your doing with lessons etc Jen?  I'll keep fingers crossed for you.  Good luck!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2003, 07:00:37 PM by Kizmet122800 »

• wench
  • Gin-soaked Floozie

• Caution: wench on board
    • Wenchstead
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2003, 06:50:15 PM »
See, I'm lucky.  My hubby doesn't drive, so he's just terribly impressed with me doing it.  :D

wench
Ask and ye shall be babbled at.

Sponsored Links