Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Driving in England  (Read 6080 times)

• From Texas to North Yorkshire
  • Liked: 0
Re: Driving in England
« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2003, 02:56:31 PM »
Let me clarify, I don't think they're better drivers, I think they're better at dealing with backing into bays, small roads etc simply through practice.  (Tho I'm not sure better is really applicaple...I think they're atrocious!).  ;D
wench

Yeah, I agree with you there....I never understood why the British insist on backing into parking spaces or backing around corners.  Doing both is illegal in Texas, so of course we never learn!  ;D
Leave the matter of religion to the family altar, the church, and the private schools, supported entirely by private contributions. Keep the church and the state forever separated. -- Ulysses S. Grant

« Reply #46 on: September 05, 2003, 07:12:13 PM »
I think it's because you can get into tighter spaces by backing into them

• I'm eating paste!
« Reply #47 on: September 05, 2003, 08:37:49 PM »
First: I plan on getting lessons. Then again I don't know how to drive stick, so overcoming that AND driving on the opposite side of the road will be the biggest challenge since getting my degree.

Second: where's the pumpkin cookie recipe?  ;) TIP: you can get canned pumpkin at Waitrose. My mother brought it over in her suitcase last Tgiving but I saw it in my local waitrose just days after she left--rats!
People should fall in love with their eyes closed. Just close your eyes. Don't look. --Andy Warhol

« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2003, 09:09:14 PM »
kmharris, I posted the pumpkin cookie recipe in the food section.  Hope you like it.  Have you made them before.  They are a hearty cookie.  Not like the typical toll house.  Let me know if you try them.  
Give a man an inch and he thinks he's a ruler!

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2003, 12:22:40 AM »
Go through Leah's links on her main web site and find amazon.co.uk...you can order it online through there. Here's what it looks like:

Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

« Reply #50 on: September 11, 2003, 06:24:16 PM »
I just keep saying to myself - keep left - keep left. To me the hardest thing I've had to get used to in driving is going to the correct side of the car for the driver - I still want to get into the left seat to drive.

I do miss being able to hold a drink, talk on the cell, and shift - because my right hand was coordinated - my left hand shifting needs practice and according to my son - curb diversion would be a help as well.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab