Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Anyone harassed at work for being American?  (Read 7528 times)

• Liked: 24
Re: Anyone harassed at work for being American?
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2003, 04:14:00 PM »
staceyturner, after writing a long post of good suggestions, I don't think a person would end it with an insult. I'm sure it wasn't meant that way.

• From Texas to North Yorkshire
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2003, 06:59:01 PM »
staceyturner, after writing a long post of good suggestions, I don't think a person would end it with an insult. I'm sure it wasn't meant that way.

I suppose not.  They are good suggestions, or would be if I hadn't already thought of and tried them all.  Former employees rarely sue this company because they never win...for a small company they have remarkably good lawyers.  I won't take my chances.  I'll just look for a new job...and if the people there turn out to be assholes, I'm going to persuade my husband to accompany me home to the United States.  I don't love the United Kingdom enough to put up with this kind of crap at work.
Leave the matter of religion to the family altar, the church, and the private schools, supported entirely by private contributions. Keep the church and the state forever separated. -- Ulysses S. Grant

« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2003, 08:27:55 PM »
The "race relations act" seems highly inappropriate as a way to counter anti-American sentiments in the UK workplace, since culture clashes and racial tensions do not at all fall into the same category.  
It seemed odd that this act could be applied in this context.  In jest, I said I would refer to it if I ever needed to end an annoying conversation.  In all seriousness I would consider this unethical conduct and it's definitely not going out as a recommendation.  
Culture clashes can sometimes be at the heart of racial tension, but that's another story.

« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2003, 09:26:20 PM »
The "race relations act" seems highly inappropriate as a way to counter anti-American sentiments in the UK workplace, since culture clashes and racial tensions do not at all fall into the same category.  
It seemed odd that this act could be applied in this context.  In jest, I said I would refer to it if I ever needed to end an annoying conversation.  In all seriousness I would consider this unethical conduct and it's definitely not going out as a recommendation.  
Culture clashes can sometimes be at the heart of racial tension, but that's another story.

I do beg your pardon, but there was no way to tell that your previous post was 'in jest'.  It was me who reccomended the race relations act, and obviously it was as a  last resort scenario.  But in all seriousness, if a person is being harassed because of your nationality-ie your Americanness-this is covered by the race relations act, the same as if you were being harrassed because of your race.  This is something entirely different to cultural difference which can be solved at a much lower level.  

• Burlesque Dancing Yogini
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2003, 09:31:56 PM »
I'm really looking forward to working in the UK. Even though Im only allowed to work 20 hours weekly during school time, it will still be very interesting. Im hoping to work in a pub so I can meet many people and converse with them~ either that or a clothing shop.

I know Ill end up hearing alot of crap about our gov't and whatnot, but Ive got a typical NY mouth... No, no~ I didnt mean Ill be nasty to people  ;D but if they can dish it, I can give it right back.

If I ever did get upset by something ignorant that they said, I would dish it back. Usually I would get a comment such as, "we're just joking; you Americans don't get our sense of humor." I can completely understand that but sometimes I also think they would say that as an excuse because they knew they were out of line to say what they said... And vice-versa, if I made a joke about something (in the typical blunt NY fashion) they would just stare wide-eye at me until I said, "im only joking! you english just dont get my ny sense of humor." I guess it goes both ways and I just keep it in the back of my head that there are cultural differences.
Lived in Cheltenham, England> 2003-2004
Lived in London, England> August 2005- April 2009
Back home in Brooklyn, NY since April 2009

Re:  Anyone harassed at work for being Americ
« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2003, 03:26:26 PM »
I'm really looking forward to working in the UK. Even though Im only allowed to work 20 hours weekly during school time, it will still be very interesting. Im hoping to work in a pub so I can meet many people and converse with them~ either that or a clothing shop.

I know Ill end up hearing alot of crap about our gov't and whatnot, but Ive got a typical NY mouth... No, no~ I didnt mean Ill be nasty to people  ;D but if they can dish it, I can give it right back.

If I ever did get upset by something ignorant that they said, I would dish it back. Usually I would get a comment such as, "we're just joking; you Americans don't get our sense of humor." I can completely understand that but sometimes I also think they would say that as an excuse because they knew they were out of line to say what they said... And vice-versa, if I made a joke about something (in the typical blunt NY fashion) they would just stare wide-eye at me until I said, "im only joking! you english just dont get my ny sense of humor." I guess it goes both ways and I just keep it in the back of my head that there are cultural differences.

Well...just wait until you get over here.  I said the same things before I came over here.  It's really different when someone is looking you straight in the eye...mere weeks after 9/11...and telling you that we, as Americans, deserved what happened on that day.

I dunno bout you, but it didn't sit too well with me.

Leave the matter of religion to the family altar, the church, and the private schools, supported entirely by private contributions. Keep the church and the state forever separated. -- Ulysses S. Grant

YAY FOR ME
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2003, 03:30:24 PM »
[smiley=balloon.gif]  [smiley=balloon.gif]  [smiley=balloon.gif]  [smiley=balloon.gif]  [smiley=balloon.gif]  [smiley=balloon.gif]

I got a call from a headhunter yesterday and my company's MAIN COMPETITOR...also conveniently based in Harrogate...is hiring!  

They want someone with the QA experience and financials knowledge, which I have in abundance.  The recruiter said none of the other candidates even came close to me and she said she's almost certain they'll interview me.  FOR MORE MONEY. [smiley=greedy.gif]  YAY!

[smiley=party3.gif]  [smiley=party3.gif]  [smiley=party3.gif]  [smiley=party3.gif]  [smiley=party3.gif]  [smiley=party3.gif]

« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2003, 05:50:33 PM »
Good luck to you Stacey.  Sounds like a new job could do wonders!  Hope it goes well.
Give a man an inch and he thinks he's a ruler!

« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2003, 05:58:05 PM »
What?  You mean reminding them that they can't win a war without our help didn't work to end the harrassment?
;D ;D ;D

• Burlesque Dancing Yogini
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2003, 09:10:59 PM »
Congrats Stacey! [smiley=balloon.gif]

If *anyone* ever says we deserved 911, they'll probably get a fist in their face~ a minimum, my nasty NY attitude... Yeah, I know... violence isnt the answer and "just ignore them." I never have hit anyone *first* (only in self-defense) but I don't take 911 lightly~ especially since I saw it happen right down the road from my office- very different effects on a person when you see it happen... Ahhh, anyway, Im hoping my own peer group will be a bit more open minded about all that stuff and I wont have to deal with it *too* much. Just going in with a positive attitude but Im not expecting anything wonderful. If something great happens (or I dont have to hear crappy comments often) Ill be pleasantly surprised...
Lived in Cheltenham, England> 2003-2004
Lived in London, England> August 2005- April 2009
Back home in Brooklyn, NY since April 2009

« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2003, 06:48:47 PM »
Sorry I'm a bit late in this thread, but just playing catch up after being incognito for quite awhile.  ;)  I have to say I haven't been exactly *harrassed* for being American, but at my last position, I did experience a bit of harshness (cold attitudes, being snubbed when the girls went out for lunch together, etc.) that I honestly couldn't find any other reason for.  Even when asking my b/f what he thought of the behaviour, he couldn't find any other reason.  But that's about the extent of it.

People at my current workplace are absolutely lovely.  I wouldn't say I'm best friends with these people or anything, but they *are* very nice and friendly & have never given me a reason to feel harrassed.  The only thing I'd say is that I think there *are* some cultural differences in terms of feeling at ease and comfortable with people, compared to how it is in the US.  I definitely feel like I have to make much more of an effort to initiate conversations, check up on how people are doing, etc., then in the states.  But even that isn't horrible for me, it just means I'm learning to relate in a slightly different way than I used to with workmates.

It may have helped me that I *do* have English friends and acquaintances, and feel very at ease & happy with them.  Not to say everyone I've met here has made things a joy for me (on my very 1st visit, while sat at a coffee shop with my b/f, two middleaged gentlemen in Surrey decided to mock everything I was saying, point and laugh - and my b/f was the one who pointed it out to me, so it wasn't my imagination), but on the whole I've been able to slip in and really find my niche here.  So much so, it just really feels like home to me.

I suppose it all comes down to what your individual experience is, as well as what areas of a country you live in.  Everywhere is different, and I guess I've been lucky to be in one with predominantly such welcoming, warm and friendly people.  I wish you luck in your new job and hope that it only brings you the warm and friendly folks, too!

~Christa

« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2003, 07:22:43 PM »
Sorry I'm a bit late in this thread, but just playing catch up after being incognito for quite awhile.  ;)  I have to say I haven't been exactly *harrassed* for being American, but at my last position, I did experience a bit of harshness (cold attitudes, being snubbed when the girls went out for lunch together, etc.) that I honestly couldn't find any other reason for.  Even when asking my b/f what he thought of the behaviour, he couldn't find any other reason.  But that's about the extent of it.

People at my current workplace are absolutely lovely.  I wouldn't say I'm best friends with these people or anything, but they *are* very nice and friendly & have never given me a reason to feel harrassed.  The only thing I'd say is that I think there *are* some cultural differences in terms of feeling at ease and comfortable with people, compared to how it is in the US.  I definitely feel like I have to make much more of an effort to initiate conversations, check up on how people are doing, etc., then in the states.  But even that isn't horrible for me, it just means I'm learning to relate in a slightly different way than I used to with workmates.

It may have helped me that I *do* have English friends and acquaintances, and feel very at ease & happy with them.  Not to say everyone I've met here has made things a joy for me (on my very 1st visit, while sat at a coffee shop with my b/f, two middleaged gentlemen in Surrey decided to mock everything I was saying, point and laugh - and my b/f was the one who pointed it out to me, so it wasn't my imagination), but on the whole I've been able to slip in and really find my niche here.  So much so, it just really feels like home to me.

I suppose it all comes down to what your individual experience is, as well as what areas of a country you live in.  Everywhere is different, and I guess I've been lucky to be in one with predominantly such welcoming, warm and friendly people.  I wish you luck in your new job and hope that it only brings you the warm and friendly folks, too!

~Christa

There won't be a new position.  I'm still stuck in the hell that is my current job.

« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2003, 08:18:56 PM »
Did the new job fall through???? Oh, dear, I AM sorry.   :'(
Someday, after we have mastered the winds, the waves, the tides and gravity, we shall harness for God the energies of love. Then for the second time in the history of the world, we will have discovered fire.

Tielhard de Chardin

« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2003, 10:12:37 PM »
Oh no, StaceyTurner!  :(  I'm sorry to hear that, too...*sigh* I suppose the only thing you can really do is just continue looking, and keep trying for a position that *will* make you feel comfortable and happy(er).  :/

Wishes for luck are with you...~Christa

« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2003, 02:14:01 AM »
Did the new job fall through???? Oh, dear, I AM sorry.   :'(

Yes.  Why?  I was perfect for the job, and the most qualified candidate of the ones they were considering.

They refused to interview me because I had interviewed with them in late 2000.  They offered me a job and I turned it down because I was offered something closer to home for more money and they weren't willing to match the offer.

Talk about petty.

Sponsored Links