Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: What sort of work do you do?  (Read 2821 times)

What sort of work do you do?
« on: August 25, 2003, 12:37:58 PM »
This should have gone in the Job section but l figured it might get more responses from this section!

Ok, so what sort of job do you do here?

What job did you do in the states?

Here-l do data entry, 1800's Death records of the city l live in now, for the Geneaolgy department. I am based in the Tourist Information Centre. l also assist Tourists find what they want to see in the city and NI & ROI. Pay £4.20/hour

The States- l was a Records Secretary in the Central Files office for a facility that housed 125 developmentally disabled adult men! I also qualified as a Care worker too so on the weekends l could work in the group homes these men occupied. It was major overtime, so l did it often! Pay $10.00/hour

Just had to add the pay in there (it's such a thorn in my side), you don't have to though!  ;D

Re: What sort of work do you do?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2003, 10:25:23 PM »
In the US I had done tons of secretarial work and admin assistant work.  I had gotten a job as a temp as a legal secretary and decided I liked it enough to continue with it when I moved here.  So a legal secretary I be.  Looking to move forward and get some further schooling to move beyond secretary status.

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2003, 11:06:03 PM »
In the US, I was an administrative type for the Federal Government, ending with being a computer coordinator/trainer. Since I've moved here, I've stayed in the administrative field (didn't want to travel). Last job was as a PA to the CEO of a major charity. But alas, I am presently unemployed and am beginning to start the quest all over again...oh goody, but part-time, this time. Kinda the best of both worlds, I hope :)

• From Texas to North Yorkshire
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2003, 01:25:08 AM »
In the U.S. I was a senior quality analyst (software) and made $60k a year.

Here I'm a senior quality analyst and make 25k a year. (pounds)
Leave the matter of religion to the family altar, the church, and the private schools, supported entirely by private contributions. Keep the church and the state forever separated. -- Ulysses S. Grant

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2003, 02:23:57 AM »
Man, Trish!  I wish my relatives were from Northern Ireland instead of Scotland!!!! ;D

• Garden Butterflies
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2003, 05:27:43 PM »
I am a Space Geek for the past 9 years...  a CMS analyst for a two satellite project at NASA called WIND/POLAR. My job is gathering all the commands from scientists around the country to gain their science data...  and setting up our own spacecraft commands to tell the bird what to do and what time to do it.  pay is $40,000.

have no idea what I will be doing yet in the UK... but I have a diverse background as a corporate administrator, banking (head teller and customer service), assist. manager for buying and consulting in fine wines...  and then of course my 12 years experience with bartending and waitressing as well as supervising...LOL...  Oh, and lets not forget what started it all...  summer camp counselor. ;D  

So, what do you think I should try for in the UK?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2003, 05:28:34 PM by mfredericka »
Logic is one thing, it keeps us in control!
But the heart only knows one, which is the  
depths of our soul!

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2003, 05:51:40 PM »
LOL Shel, sounds like you can do most anything.  Which I think will serve you well in the UK.  Being specialized doesn't seem so great.

I am an administrative assistant.  I enjoy the work (believe it or not!) and the pay has been good.  I like the idea of being part of the team and moving a project forward.  I like being behind the scenes.  Sometimes it feels like being the Wizard of Oz behind the curtain.  lol
Give a man an inch and he thinks he's a ruler!

• Burlesque Dancing Yogini
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2003, 07:07:42 PM »
I'm only 25 so I haven't as much nice work experience as most of you guys.

Right now, I am a student- have been on and off since 1996.

My previous job was a day trader at NYSE-Wall St. 1999-2002

Previous: Order Department Manager for wholesale floral company. 1997-2002 (overflowed with day trader on weekends, PLUS school.)

Previous: Assistant Store Manager Delia*s 1997

Previous: sales associates Gap and Guess? 1995-1997

Dream job: Dancer. When Im "too old" to do that, anything involving fashion: buyer, marketing, international trade, etc.
Lived in Cheltenham, England> 2003-2004
Lived in London, England> August 2005- April 2009
Back home in Brooklyn, NY since April 2009

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2003, 09:12:34 PM »

have no idea what I will be doing yet in the UK... but I have a diverse background as a corporate administrator, banking (head teller and customer service), assist. manager for buying and consulting in fine wines...  and then of course my 12 years experience with bartending and waitressing as well as supervising...LOL...  Oh, and lets not forget what started it all...  summer camp counselor. ;D  

So, what do you think I should try for in the UK?

McDonalds?  ;D

• Garden Butterflies
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2003, 09:27:59 PM »

McDonalds?  ;D

LOL, Kiss my Grits sweetie...LOLOLOL
Logic is one thing, it keeps us in control!
But the heart only knows one, which is the  
depths of our soul!

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2003, 11:57:50 PM »
Ok I've already said it before but now you've confirmed it...you're both nuts (Trish & Shel). ;D [smiley=goofy.gif] [smiley=wacko.gif] [smiley=wacky.gif]

But I still love you guys anyway. :-* :-*

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2003, 12:05:16 AM »
Ok now that I'm finished with that ;) I'll tell you what I do...

I'm a receptionist/office clerk/everything else they can think for me to do plus some.

I make $11.22 an hour plus benefits. yippee. (and yes that is a sarcastic yippee ;) )

Oh and I get to listen to everyone else around here whine about how small their commisions checks are when I don't even frigging get one. [smiley=furious.gif]

Who me? Bitter? Nah...lol :P

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2003, 01:04:43 AM »
What a fun thread!  :)

In the US -I was a training co-ordinator with the Training and Development Department at a University

Here in the UK- I started out as an administrator, but am now working on Strategy and Planning, with a lot of empahsis on project management systems in the company.  Making a heck of a lot more than I ever would have in the US!!!

• Fat people are hard to kidnap.
    • Flickr
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2003, 03:02:53 PM »
In the US - I was a Customer Service Supervisor and Task Force Team Leader but I JUST got my degree before we moved over, so I was hoping to move up a little bit (and get AWAY from Customer Service) (Prior to that, I was a full charge bookkeeper for a company in Atlanta.)

Here - Nothing.  Apparently I'm totally unemployable.  I tried on my own for 6 months but only got three interviews.  Two of the interviews panned out with a job offer, but they both paid £13,000 for jobs I REALLY didn't want to do anyway, so I passed on them.  I finally gave up and sent my CV to a bunch of agencies last week.  One called me today; they have a FRONT LINE customer service position they'd like to me apply for.  It pays £15,000 (woohoo  [smiley=disappointed.gif]). (But in my opinion is still CRAP.)

*sigh*  I guess it's money and I should just be greatful.  I go in tomorrow to meet with the agency and if I'm interested, I go for an interview on Friday.  I'll let you know.
If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. ~Carl Sagan

• From Texas to North Yorkshire
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2003, 03:24:09 PM »
In the US - I was a Customer Service Supervisor and Task Force Team Leader but I JUST got my degree before we moved over, so I was hoping to move up a little bit (and get AWAY from Customer Service) (Prior to that, I was a full charge bookkeeper for a company in Atlanta.)

Here - Nothing.  Apparently I'm totally unemployable.  I tried on my own for 6 months but only got three interviews.  Two of the interviews panned out with a job offer, but they both paid £13,000 for jobs I REALLY didn't want to do anyway, so I passed on them.  I finally gave up and sent my CV to a bunch of agencies last week.  One called me today; they have a FRONT LINE customer service position they'd like to me apply for.  It pays £15,000 (woohoo  [smiley=disappointed.gif]). (But in my opinion is still CRAP.)

*sigh*  I guess it's money and I should just be greatful.  I go in tomorrow to meet with the agency and if I'm interested, I go for an interview on Friday.  I'll let you know.

Well, £15,000 is certainly better than £0, isn't it?  The pay cut I took to move here was a slap in the face, especially since I turned down a promotion and a raise to move here.  I was supposed to head up the American Airlines project at the Dallas office of my company.  I was going to get a $20k raise (bringing me up to $80k) and a promotion to management...AT THE AGE OF 25.  Am I sick about it?  Hell yes.  Did I pick myself up, brush myself off, swallow my pride, and take an over-the-barrel job here for sh*t pay and no respect?  Yep.  Bills gotta get paid.  However...I'm the highest paid analyst here and I'm the youngest and second least-experienced of the bunch.  Read on to see how I did that.

What is your degree in and from which institution did you graduate?  That makes a difference here.  If they've never heard of it (and they haven't heard of most universities) that's a strike.  You won't have any GCSE/O levels or A levels, but you CAN (and should) put down honor societies from HS or college...also your SAT score (present it as xxxx/1600 and give the percentile if you know it) and any achievement tests/AP tests that you took.  If you were in the National Honor Society, say "National Honor Society."  Don't abbreviate it to NHS.  If you were in who's who, leave it out; they know it's a big scam.  If you were a national merit semi-finalist, include that; they don't know what it is but it sounds good.  Don't give them your PSAT score, though; you'll have a tough enough time explaining the SAT/ACT to them.  If you took the GRE, LSAT, or MCAT, include those scores if they were impressive.  If you were in any honor fraternities, don't just put Beta Beta Beta....say "Beta Beta Beta National Biology Honor Society" or the FULL name of the honor fraternity.  The British don't understand the difference between Beta Beta Beta (the actual bio honor society) and Delta Delta Delta, so you'll have to spell it out for them.  Incidentally, if you were in a social sorority, leave that OFF your CV.  They are NOT impressed by it.  I learned that the hard way (yes, I was a sorority girl).

Me, I was a straight A student in high school...graduated top 1/5 of the class with honors.  I took five AP tests and scored an average of 4 (out of 5) on them, and took three achievement tests with an average score of 720/800.  My SAT was 1350/1600.  Sounds impressive, but it's utterly average!  Use anything from high school or college to make yourself a more attractive candidate....qualifications, test scores, and honor groups, even American ones, can mean ££££ here.  

« Last Edit: August 27, 2003, 03:34:21 PM by staceyturner »
Leave the matter of religion to the family altar, the church, and the private schools, supported entirely by private contributions. Keep the church and the state forever separated. -- Ulysses S. Grant

Sponsored Links