Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: What sort of work do you do?  (Read 2826 times)

• Fat people are hard to kidnap.
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 0
Re: What sort of work do you do?
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2003, 09:07:32 PM »
I have all that on my CV.  I went to a college, and YES, I changed it to "university" on my CV.  The school is NOT known over here, but I DO put that I graduated with a 4.0 and an honours degree (and give the British equivalent) AND that I was "a member of Phi Beta Kappa Honours Society."  I didn't bother with my SAT or ACT scores. I also put that I was in honours in high school and my lesser impressive 3.86 GPA.

My degree is Business Management with a focus on Int'l Business (my major WAS Int'l business, but they dropped the major my last year, so I don't even have it as a minor... GRRR)

And yes, £15,000 is better than £0.  But more importantly is having a job that I enjoy with at least the PROSPECT of being able to go somewhere from there.

I'd be THRILLED to make £15,000 if I really liked the job.  But I learned the hard way that no amount of money will make you like a job that sucks.  And a job that you loathe affects your entire life; even when you're outside of work.

Thanks to Andrew, we're doing ok financially... so I'm able to hold off for the brass ring.

-Lisa-
If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. ~Carl Sagan

• From Texas to North Yorkshire
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2003, 03:35:44 PM »
I have all that on my CV.  I went to a college, and YES, I changed it to "university" on my CV.  The school is NOT known over here, but I DO put that I graduated with a 4.0 and an honours degree (and give the British equivalent) AND that I was "a member of Phi Beta Kappa Honours Society."  I didn't bother with my SAT or ACT scores. I also put that I was in honours in high school and my lesser impressive 3.86 GPA.

My degree is Business Management with a focus on Int'l Business (my major WAS Int'l business, but they dropped the major my last year, so I don't even have it as a minor... GRRR)

Bummer.  Offhand, where'd you go to school?  I went to UT-Austin and few English people have heard of it.  The ones who have only know it because in 1966 Charles Whitman climbed up into the tower with a rifle and popped a few people.  I keep reminding them that it's also the school that turned Bush down when he applied there for law.  That usually raises a few eyebrows!

And yes, £15,000 is better than £0.  But more importantly is having a job that I enjoy with at least the PROSPECT of being able to go somewhere from there.

I'd be THRILLED to make £15,000 if I really liked the job.  But I learned the hard way that no amount of money will make you like a job that sucks.  And a job that you loathe affects your entire life; even when you're outside of work.

Thanks to Andrew, we're doing ok financially... so I'm able to hold off for the brass ring.

-Lisa-

Well, you're right and you're wrong.  Yes, you should hold out for a job that you really enjoy because having a job that you hate can affect your entire life...but only if you let it.

I think I'm far too materialistic to hold off for the brass ring as you put it...we could definitely survive on Aaron's salary, but I'd rather have the really nice things in life...new kitchen, lots of work done on the house, books, CDs, DVDs, kitchen gadgets, car, etc.  I have a job that I hate so that I can have those things and finance my expensive hobbies (like photography).  I don't know how much longer I'll be able to do it, though.  I REALLY hate my job...I suppose it's impossible to quantify just HOW much I hate it.  I've been in this field for five years and at this particular job for 13 months, which is a personal record for me.  I've been at this job longer than any other and it is by far the WORST.  The director of strategy keeps telling me to just "wait," that there's a promotion around the corner, but he's been saying that for the last four months.  I'm getting sick of waiting.  Most days I just ask myself if it's worth putting myself through this kind of hell just for material comfort.

I have a friend who is still waiting for the brass ring...he's 33 and has four degrees.  He's one of the smartest people I've ever known, but he's been trying to break into journalism since he was 21 years old.  It hasn't happened for him yet and now he's practically unemployable.  Just don't wait TOO long; I'd hate to see you end up like my friend.

Leave the matter of religion to the family altar, the church, and the private schools, supported entirely by private contributions. Keep the church and the state forever separated. -- Ulysses S. Grant

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2003, 04:13:37 PM »
Sounds like really good advice, Stacey. Maybe there should be a section here about CVs and tips for them. Certainly is advice that bears repeating from time to time.

Now...answering this fun question...

In the US I majored in Journalism but headed the graphics direction instead of the writing when I left college. Worked in newspapers and then magazines as an Art Director. After a number of years doing that, I went on to do freelance work with a marketing company. Chances are if you're in Southwest Florida, you'll see one of my designs, someplace, whether it's a menu or a teeshirt or a hat or wine bottle or menu in a posh resturant or Yellow Pages (or magazine) ad or company logo...
In the UK I get to do the same stuff but for more personal objects and more controllable designs. For our own company. But I list my "job" as Administrator because I do a lot more than just design all our stuff. Answer phones, for instance.  ;D
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

• I'm eating paste!
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2003, 08:59:49 PM »
here's a CV quesiton for you: I went to Barnard College, Columbia University. I cannot actually believe that people reading my CV over here would NOT understand that 'College' = University. Any insight?
People should fall in love with their eyes closed. Just close your eyes. Don't look. --Andy Warhol

• Unavailable for Comment.
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2003, 09:38:09 PM »
I'd recommend changing College to University. College here is a different thing than University and the majority of English employers (in my experience) have no clue about the American education system and don't realize that in the states, college means uni too.

Or, alternatively, you could just put down Columbia University.
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

• From Texas to North Yorkshire
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2003, 01:52:54 PM »
here's a CV quesiton for you: I went to Barnard College, Columbia University. I cannot actually believe that people reading my CV over here would NOT understand that 'College' = University. Any insight?

Because a "college" here is not a university.  I think the British don't realize that American universities are comprised of different "colleges" or "schools."  I'd leave off the Barnard College bit and just put "Columbia University."  Columbia just by itself should raise eyebrows...it's a really good school.  ;D
« Last Edit: August 29, 2003, 01:54:47 PM by staceyturner »
Leave the matter of religion to the family altar, the church, and the private schools, supported entirely by private contributions. Keep the church and the state forever separated. -- Ulysses S. Grant

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2003, 12:34:18 AM »
Yes, universities are comprised of colleges. But, the other thing about a "college" is that my stepdaughter, up until this summer, went to a college from the age of 16...if she was in the US, it would be the equivalent of being in 11th and 12th grades. She's off to university in the Autumn, being now 18.

I akin this college to being one notch lower than a "Junior college"...almost like a high school plus. A lot of adults go there for continuing education. It's not...it's just not the same as what we're used to. Doesn't have that "shine" to it.
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2003, 04:31:42 PM »
Hi All.. been reading this one and it is sad that the some are having issues when they had such great careers at home.  I am lucky cus what i do is universal pretty much.

In the US: worked for various online companies ie, Netzero doing online advertising traffic and sales. Made at top dollar $47k a year.

In the UK: I am currently doing DM for email marketing. Pretty much the same thing just without all the techy stuff.  I got lucky because the US is about a year or more ahead of the UK in net marketing. So my experience has really paid off for me here. I am on a £30k  basic with commission.  I am happier here with my earnings but the chunk of taxes i face is terrible. So maybe making the big money over here is nice but the taxes are s$&t!  

I have changed jobs 3 times in the last year since being here and i am finally happy with one. Oh and i have faced some harrassment for being american but mostly sexual harrassment.  Its shocking how different the office atmosphere is here. I am lucky that there is another american here in my office and we often look at each other in amazement at the things that come out of our coworkers mouths.

-Stacey
California winters are a thing of the past..

Sponsored Links