Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: BOOKED TO LEAVE!!  (Read 2696 times)

• Liked: 0
BOOKED TO LEAVE!!
« on: June 24, 2005, 08:10:20 PM »
I am soooo excited. We have booked to leave 1 Nov. and I was so scared for my dogs to fly in cargo and now they wont have to! We booked on the QM2. leaving from New York and arriving in Southampton 7 Nov. !! It was so close. last two cages in the kennel. I wont see them for 6 days but I know they will be safe and well looked after. I was scared to death for them to fly. We called Cunard and got  a good deal. 886. a person and 500. each for the two dogs. Funny thing is I came by ship in November when I was 5 years old. And now I am going back by ship in November! So many emotions!!! oh wow! Just thought I'd share cause I'm about to bust with excitement. ;D
I would not seek the desert, or red palaces.Where reigns the sun, nor sail to magic isles......
For here is heartsease still, and deep content.
The Elves here holy and immortal dwell, and on the stones and trees there lies a spell.       J.R.R. Tolkien

Re: BOOKED TO LEAVE!!
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2005, 09:53:48 PM »
That is so exciting!  That actually brought a tear to my eye - in a good way :)  (I know, corny!)
So glad you found a great way to travel, and take care of the animals.

Across the sea, on the horizon... ;)
(love your Tolkien quote, I'm a bit of a freak for LOTR)
Hollywood, CA -> London, UK 2004
London, UK -> Long Beach, CA 2007

Best 3 1/2 years of my life!

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2005, 02:08:48 AM »
Hi Kuyperama.
Thanks. I am really excited to be going home to my homeland but I felt so guilty putting my dogs through so much. It is going to be so much less stressful for them not to be loaded into the cargo of a plane. And the icing on the cake is a nice cruise!

yes, except this will be 'into the east' ;) That quote is from the book of lost tales. Its from apoem Tolkien wrote about his love for England (Tol Eressea). In particular its about Warwickshire. I'm a shameless freak of LOTR as well. :)
I would not seek the desert, or red palaces.Where reigns the sun, nor sail to magic isles......
The Elves here holy and immortal dwell, and on the stones and trees there lies a spell.       J.R.R. Tolkien

• Why a duck?
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2005, 03:47:52 PM »
You'll have a great time on the QM2, Calle! 

I sailed eastbound last summer and loved it.  Do you really have no contact with the dogs while they are in the kennel?  I could just picture a movie star turn around the deck with the poochies.  ;)

If you have any questions about life on board, let me know.
When I find a funnier sig than twistedncynical's, it will be here.

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2005, 11:59:47 PM »
I would love for you to tell a little about your voyage!! We spoke to one person who said we wouldnt be able to see them, but another said there are visiting times. I'm hoping the latter is right. they are posting us a packet with more info so I hope that will clarify it. Anything you can tell me about your trip will give me some insight on what I have to look forward to. Thanks!!

• Why a duck?
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2005, 04:56:12 PM »
I flew my cat over 2 months before I sailed.  I'd call Cunard or email them through their web site, www.cunard.com or www.cunard.co.uk with questions about kennelling.  You'll get a quick reply.  I'm pretty sure there are visiting hours.

The one thing I recommend is getting all dressed up and going to dinner in the dining room.  The food is to die for!  I think there are 5 courses at dinner.  The plates have small- to medium-sized portions.  If anyone is a big eater, he or she can ask for double portions on the plate. 

I sailed with my cousin.  We asked to be seated at the largest table.  We met such wonderful, interesting people.  At breakfast and lunch, you will be seated randomly unless you want to be seated at your table. 

You can do nothing or take part in tons of activities.  The library is huge, so you don't have to pack books unless you won't have time to finish them on board.  I specifically asked kids and teens on board who they were enjoying the crossing.  Every one said he or she was having the best time.  Same thing went for the adults.

The ship is huge, so wear comfy shoes.  You'll be walking off each me just getting back to your cabin.

Is there any specific info you would like?

• Hi there.
    • Trophy Pet Foods
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2005, 05:30:20 AM »
wOW! I never even thought of that. What are the advantages of taking a ship instead of flying??
"I bought some batteries, but they weren't included."-Steven Wright

• Why a duck?
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2005, 12:50:45 PM »
The food
The service
No jet lag
No phones
Southampton instead of Heathrow
No hassle with the Immigration officers

No contest!

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2005, 02:01:19 PM »
Thanks for tips Chrishamil10. glad you mentioned the 'getting dressed up for dining'. could you elaborate on this? for me and daughter and son and DH. VERY dressed up or nice casual?? And just what is there for teenagers? it looks like from the photos on the website maybe a video gameroom? any movies? It'll be November, but how is the pool? and exercise room? lol, so many questions now. sorry. ;D

• le club de l'autobus blanc!
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2005, 06:19:00 AM »
Calle,

May I ask where you where able to obtain such a wonderful fare?

I would love to go by ship, but the most affordable fare I could find was far out of my budget - about $1800. I would love to take such an opportunity!

Thank you!

Let's take our wigs off in the shopi aisle and fight it out.

• le club de l'autobus blanc!
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2005, 06:33:09 AM »
Er....

I just realised that your price may be in pounds. If so, please accept my humble apologies for intruding apon your thread. :)

Let's take our wigs off in the shopi aisle and fight it out.

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2005, 07:51:24 AM »
good point... Calle, was that fare in sterling or dollars?

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2005, 12:50:34 PM »
The food
The service
No jet lag
No phones
Southampton instead of Heathrow
No hassle with the Immigration officers

You mean you can't get a signal in the middle of the Atlantic?  ;D

There must be immigration in Southampton?  Surely they just don't let you pop on through especially in this day and age of terrorism.

Avoiding jet lag would be great!  DW would have an absolute fit being on a boat for that long, she couldn't stand it.  I suppose another downside is having to take 6 days to get across when you can do it in 7 hours by plane.

Matt
And the world first spoke to me in Sensurround

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2005, 01:49:44 PM »
Ohh, do let us know how you get on with the voyage!!

DH and a friend were talking about doing a driving hol in american and one of the options they were thinking about was to load the cars on QM2, raz about in the US and then back by QM2.  (Boys in sports cars, will ALWAYS be boys.  ::))

• PA - DC - Leeds, UK - Dallas, Tx
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2005, 02:41:44 PM »
That sounds like the best way to go! Enjoy :)
Sometimes I feel like an alien in my own country

Sponsored Links