Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: HELP! I'm moving ASAP  (Read 805 times)

• Liked: 0
HELP! I'm moving ASAP
« on: July 07, 2005, 08:03:44 PM »
Hi, sorry for the emergency header, but here is the situation: I have had to delay applying for Visas for my son and myself because he did not have a passport and literally could not sign for his own (he is 16 and has severe autism, is non verbal and does not write). Now that we both have passports, I find out that my move (which I thought was happening at the end of August) has done a fast-forward on me. We are taking possession of our house in Scotland the first week of August, and I don't think that will give me time to get a proper visa application done. I have done the on-line form, they are waiting for the supporting documents and of course payment (which I don't have right now either - next week when I get paid).

My question: do i have to have the Visa to travel there knowing I am going to settle before I enter the country? I'm running out of time  :o

Thanks, any help is appreciated!
Y Gwir yn Erbyn y Byd - Truth Against the World

Re: HELP! I'm moving ASAP
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2005, 08:17:34 PM »
If you dont have the visa you will have to come here on a 6 month visiting visa and no you cant settle. You will have to return at or before the 6 months. What I recommend you doing is coming over here on a visiting visa (guessing you havent outstayed 6 months this year yet) and get stuff here situated, meanwhile ,wait for your documents to arrive in the usa and reschedule your appt with the embassay. You have to have a settlement visa to settle here.

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2005, 11:12:58 PM »
Celticgirl,
You may apply for your visa in person to expedite the process.  You can pay by visa.  It's going to  cost you, but I'm afraid you don't have much choice here.  How long have you been married to your British spouse?  That determines what type of visa you need. 

If you go in person, the visa will be processed that same day. 

You can also pay by credit card.

IIRC, you are married to a UK national and have been for some years. 

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2005, 11:40:14 PM »
If you dont have the visa you will have to come here on a 6 month visiting visa and no you cant settle. You will have to return at or before the 6 months. What I recommend you doing is coming over here on a visiting visa (guessing you havent outstayed 6 months this year yet) and get stuff here situated, meanwhile ,wait for your documents to arrive in the usa and reschedule your appt with the embassay. You have to have a settlement visa to settle here.

I think this advice is good, but I think Celticgirl should be careful with what she tells the i.o. when she arrives in the UK on a visitor's visa. If she tells them she is going to take possession of a house,  they may not believe her when she says the stay is only temporary. I don't recommend lying, but I think it would be a good idea for her to have some proof that she is planning to return to the US to get the proper visa.

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2005, 12:37:09 PM »
I agree with EIS - apply in person. It's more expensive, but you can get it taken care of in a day which sounds as though it would be well worth the extra cash.... For me personally it wouldn't be worth trying to get in as a visitor - I think technically it would be illegal (since you're taking posession of a house to settle in) and not worth the risk of being turned back.

Edited to say: besides, you'd have the expense of having to go back to the US to get your entry clearance anyway, so the expence of applying in person might actually be less....

• Liked: 2
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2005, 12:51:29 PM »
what kind of visa are you applying for? i'm guessing it's a spouse visa? any chance you can go to the embassy in person to speed things up? chances are you will get your visa on the same day.

• You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2005, 12:57:02 PM »
I know it's not the ideal situation, but your husband may have to go ahead of you to secure the house situation, whilst you and your son wait here until you can get the visa situation cleared up.

I would really be worried that you'd be refused entry.  :-\\\\
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

• York Interweb
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2005, 11:25:30 PM »
I agree with Peedal.

Sponsored Links