Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Getting a Job without Work Permit  (Read 666 times)

• Liked: 0
Getting a Job without Work Permit
« on: July 07, 2005, 10:26:37 PM »
I am planning on moving to the UK in a few months in order to complete a MA degree from the University of London.  My wife is a highly qualified scientist, with numerous publications, patents, and experience with a industry giant, and degree from an Ivy League School.

Despite this, she is having a terribly difficult time finding employment in the UK.  Am I correct to assume that it will become easier if I can procure a work permit for her through her getting a Student Dependent visa?  Or is there more to this that I am not seeing.  It is especially frustrating for us, as she would have no trouble finding employment in the US, and is leaving a very good job in order to accompany me.

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Getting a Job without Work Permit
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2005, 10:39:22 PM »
I think being here will make it easier, too. She should probably write all the Brits in her particular area and should apply for some sort of international funding. Just as a matter of curiousity, what field is she in? And has she considered approaching her current employer with the idea of a funded sabbatical?

DJC

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2005, 11:08:31 PM »
I am planning on moving to the UK in a few months in order to complete a MA degree from the University of London.  My wife is a highly qualified scientist, with numerous publications, patents, and experience with a industry giant, and degree from an Ivy League School.

Despite this, she is having a terribly difficult time finding employment in the UK.  Am I correct to assume that it will become easier if I can procure a work permit for her through her getting a Student Dependent visa?  Or is there more to this that I am not seeing.  It is especially frustrating for us, as she would have no trouble finding employment in the US, and is leaving a very good job in order to accompany me.

Yes.  This is a correct assumption.  She will come as a Student Dependent and will not need employer-sponsored work permit to seek employment.  As a Student Dependent there is no restriction on the number of hours she works or the type of employment she seeks.  She will have far, far less trouble obtaining employment as a Student Dependent. 

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2005, 04:36:40 PM »
I think being here will make it easier, too. She should probably write all the Brits in her particular area and should apply for some sort of international funding. Just as a matter of curiousity, what field is she in? And has she considered approaching her current employer with the idea of a funded sabbatical?

DJC

She's in the Chemistry field.  She was going to get an internal transfer which would have been great, but the transfer was stopped at the last moment due to someone with seniority trying to move across the pond.

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2005, 04:40:49 PM »
She's in the Chemistry field.  She was going to get an internal transfer which would have been great, but the transfer was stopped at the last moment due to someone with seniority trying to move across the pond.

And it's a toughie for Chem academics b/c a lot of UK universities are closing their Chemistry departments.  But it will be much, much easier for her to work as a Student Dependent.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab