Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Caribbean Beef Stew  (Read 3909 times)

• NYState_of_Mind
  • FAMILIE, GOD & VADERLAND! Zonder de een heb je niet de anderen!!

• Never forget what it MEANS to be an AMERICAN...
    • Uncover Fahrenheit for what it is
  • Liked: 0
Caribbean Beef Stew
« on: May 01, 2002, 04:11:26 PM »
Yes, I am bored today and thought I would share with everyone the receipe that I am making for tonight.  Now, mind you I lived at home before moving here and had no clue how to cook.  Never had to  ;)...  BUT I guess after living and growing up in an Italian household and watching the grandmother, mother, and aunts cook it just gets into your unconscious mind - SOMEHOW??

Ok, here's the lowdown for this very spicey stew dish.

1 onion (sliced)
2 cloves of garlic (crushed)
1 - 8oz. canned tomatoes (chopped and juice reserved) 1 tspn. Dried Thyme
1 tspn. Ground Allspice
1 tspn. Celery Salt
1.5 lbs. (700g.) braising steak (chuck or top rump - diced)
2 tbls. Sunflower oil
1 tspn. Brown Sugar (soft)
1 cup (8 fl oz., 250 ml) beef stock
2 tbls. Rum (I usually put in extra)
2 tbls. Tabasco Sauce (again I ususally put xtra dashes)
1 Red Bell Pepper (seeded and sliced - I usually use a red and yellow to give it some extra color)
1 tbls. Cornstarch,
Dash of freshly ground pepper
Rice (brown or white - which ever you prefer) to serve over stew.

In a large ceramic or glass bowl mix together the onion, garlic, tomatoes and juice from can, thyme, allspice and celery salt.  Add beef, mix well, cover and chill for 4 hours or overnight.

Strain beef and reserve marinade.  Heat oil in a large covered pan, add sugar and beef and cook until beef is brown.  Add stock, rum, Tabasco and reserved marinade to pan.  Bring to boil, cover pan, reduce heat and simmer gently for 40 minutes.

Add bell pepper(s).  Mix cornstarch with a little water, add to pan and cook for a further 10 minutes.  Adjust seasoning to taste.

Transfer to a serving dish, garnish with celery leaves and serve with rice mixed with peas (peas opional)

Preparation time 15 minutes plus marinating time.  Cooking time 55 minutes.  Serves 4.

For those of you who like it hot, like myself.  I usually add Cayenne Pepper as well.  I tend to make it a little too spicey for the BF but he adapts..
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile--hoping it will eat him last."Forgiveness is up to God. I just hope we hurry up the meeting." 02.08.03, Gen. Schwarzkoph It's the SILENT MAJORITY that COUNTS not the LOUD MINORITY that CONSTANTLY WINES! http://www.leftnuts.com/images/fu_marines1.jpg
www.protestwarrior.com Proud Member of the V.R.W.C.

Re: Caribbean Beef Stew
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2002, 08:18:46 PM »
So, Yvonne, you're Italian, eh?   :)  

What part of Italy are your people from?  My grandfather came from Cosenza.

• NYState_of_Mind
  • FAMILIE, GOD & VADERLAND! Zonder de een heb je niet de anderen!!

• Never forget what it MEANS to be an AMERICAN...
    • Uncover Fahrenheit for what it is
  • Liked: 0
Re: Caribbean Beef Stew
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2002, 08:49:02 PM »
So, Yvonne, you're Italian, eh?   :)  

What part of Italy are your people from?  My grandfather came from Cosenza.

Yeah, can't you tell from the above receipe.. ;)   ;D  Well I'm not 100% the other 50% is Irish.  But you can say and I would say that I'm more Italian.  ( mom's not around so I can get away saying that  ;) )

My relatives are further down South,  Reggio Di Calabria (my grandmother's side) and Naples (grandfather).  And Yes, I am very hardheaded and stubborn mixed with the Irish side - it's just a little explosive..  ;)

I'm actually going to Rome this weekend with my BF.  He surprised  me with a weekend getaway.  Haven't been there since '94..
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile--hoping it will eat him last."Forgiveness is up to God. I just hope we hurry up the meeting." 02.08.03, Gen. Schwarzkoph It's the SILENT MAJORITY that COUNTS not the LOUD MINORITY that CONSTANTLY WINES! http://www.leftnuts.com/images/fu_marines1.jpg
www.protestwarrior.com Proud Member of the V.R.W.C.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab