Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Mental health coverage?  (Read 1435 times)

• I see you shiver, with antici...pation
  • Liked: 0
Mental health coverage?
« on: September 28, 2003, 04:43:42 PM »
Does anyone have any experience dealing with NHS for counselling and stuff like that? Pyschiatrists? Do you have to pay or get a referral or what? I'm bipolar (manic depressive) and I moved here about 2 months ago, but I still have yet to find any information...and my meds are running out! Anyways, lemme know!

=Kat=
I like my women like I like my coffee... in a plastic cup. - Eddie Izzard

Re: Mental health coverage?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2003, 07:57:30 PM »
Have you signed up with a GP yet? If so, then discuss your medical condition with him/her. They will be able to direct you into the right direction.
Your Physican will refer you to a Pyschiatrist, until then your DR can prescribe your medication for you.  

Good Luck!  

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2003, 09:32:17 AM »
From what I understand, a GP will be happy to prescribe such things as prozac or wellbutrin or whatever anti-depressants are available here.  From what I understand of things like counseling, if going through the NHS, one has to be put on a waiting list and when your name comes up you are only allowed something like 10 sessions with a counselor.  

I would say if one is simply looking for a psychiatrist, one would probably need a referral from his/her GP.  

I, of course, will post-preface this by saying I could always be wrong.  This is just my understanding.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2003, 09:45:11 PM »
I can't speak for the London area, but here in the Southwest, mental health care is very, very good, of course, I could be biased as hubby is a psychiatric nurse/counselor!  As the others have said, as long as you are signed up with a GP, they can take care of your meds and refer you to counseling, etc.

Sponsored Links