Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: US lamp conversion  (Read 1349 times)

• Liked: 0
US lamp conversion
« on: August 18, 2005, 09:32:07 PM »
Ok need some electrical assistance from the group.

We have 3 lamps we brought with us.  When the furniture was delivered the electrician who was to be here never showed up.  Hence these lamps never got converted.

Now I know I can get the actual socket with the switch to go on the lamps but I am unsure about using the existing cord or not.  Obviously the plug won't work but I have plenty of appropriate plug adapters.

So my question is, will the existing cord be ok to use or will the extra voltage be too much for it?

Nothing good ever comes from a bad attitude.

• Banned

• Big black panther stalking through the jungle!
  • Liked: 3
Re: US lamp conversion
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2005, 12:32:07 PM »
The insulation determines the maximum voltage for a cord.    Regular SPT-type lamp cord is rated for 300V, so it will be fine. 

SPT is the flat, parallel cord found on many light-duty U.S. appliances, like this.

The size of conductors determines the maximum allowable current.  At 240V, the current for any given wattage of lamp will be half that of the equivalent 120V bulb, so no problem there either.

From
Bar
To car
To
Gates ajar
Burma Shave

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dreaming of one who truly is La plus belle pour aller danser.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2006, 07:28:25 PM »
Paul, so you are saying that it would be fine to just cut the plug off of my American lamps and install a Uk one?  I have done this on one lamp and it comes and fine, but I am still a bit afraid of it overheating, etc.

Simply...  It is okay to just change the plug?

Thanks.   :)

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2006, 08:37:50 PM »
Paul, so you are saying that it would be fine to just cut the plug off of my American lamps and install a Uk one?  I have done this on one lamp and it comes and fine, but I am still a bit afraid of it overheating, etc.

Simply...  It is okay to just change the plug?

Thanks.   :)
Ive done this too. But I still worry about it!

• Banned

• Big black panther stalking through the jungle!
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2006, 11:47:21 AM »
Paul, so you are saying that it would be fine to just cut the plug off of my American lamps and install a Uk one? 

As far as the cord itself is concerned, yes.  There are two considerations for the cord:  One is the maximum voltage it can handle, which is determined by the type and thickness of insulation.  Even though it's most commonly used on 120V, American SPT1 lamp cord is actually rated for 300V maximum, so that's not a problem.

The second consideration is the maximum current the cord can carry safely without overheating, and that's determined largely by the actual size of the wires inside.  When it comes to a simple light bulb, power is the product of voltage and current, i.e. Watts = Volts x Amps.

That means that for any given wattage of bulb, the current at 240V will be half that at 120V.  For example, a 60W 120V bulb in the U.S. will draw 0.5 amp of current.  A 60W 240V British bulb will take only 0.25A.     Thus there is absolutely no danger of overheating the cord, because for the same amount of power you will be drawing only half as much current -- It's the current which causes heating, not the voltage.

The one thing which does need more care is the actual bulb holder (and integral switch, if present).  Some of the types fitted on American lamps are not intended for operation on the higher voltage.  Although you might often "get away" with it, obviously it's not something I would recommend as you don't want to take chances with 240 volts. 

If you have a look in the Technical Issues thread, I mentioned this briefly in my first post, then there are some more related comments in replies #15 & 16.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2006, 11:49:04 AM by Paul_1966 »
From
Bar
To car
To
Gates ajar
Burma Shave

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dreaming of one who truly is La plus belle pour aller danser.

Sponsored Links