Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: More patriotic but still uneasy to speak  (Read 3407 times)

• My home page
  • Liked: 0
More patriotic but still uneasy to speak
« on: October 04, 2003, 04:32:21 AM »
This topic might have been address in past but has anyone else after moving to the UK become more patriotic.  I must say I am finding it a bit difficult to deal with the dislike of America and its culture but still the fascination of it.  It has really begun to upset me listening to the radio and hearing the comments the people make.  I am not someone who thinks that nothing is wrong with America every country has its faults but why is everyone so down on the US but yet still like it.  It is hard to put my thoughts into words.

I have also found that I am afraid to speak when other people I don't know are around because I don't want to stand out because of my accent.  I am not used to being the one in the relationship that has the accent!  I am a shy person as it is and already tend to stand out because I am a 6'3" woman and now I just trying to get over talking.

So am I crazy...super sensative...or can someone else relate.

Take care,

Kathy
"Life isn't the party we expected, but while we're here we might as well dance"

Re: More patriotic but still uneasy to speak
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2003, 11:01:29 AM »
I used to be this way Kathy.  If I went out without Frank I felt rather intimidated to speak lest I draw attention to myself.

Nowadays, I don't really care and I go out by myself all the time and I don't think anything of it to speak if needed.  I guess it was just a matter of time for me but perhaps it's different for others.

Anyway, I can relate.  

• wench
  • Gin-soaked Floozie

• Caution: wench on board
    • Wenchstead
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2003, 12:16:05 PM »
I can relate.  But I'm bolshy enough to have a go at peeps.  :D

My bosses call me the Colonial hehe.
wench
Ask and ye shall be babbled at.

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2003, 01:04:53 PM »
I can realate as well, and I don't know what has changed for me really, other than I've been here longer. The longer I'm here the more comfortable I become (not counting homesickness here), I started to feel less like an outsider and more like I belonged, and stopped hearing so many bad things about the US. I think in the beginning perhaps I sought things like that out in the papers etc, now I'm only "affected" by the odd comment, the rest I just ignore. But yep, I totally realte with what you're saying, and I hope my post made sense! :)
I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

• Fat people are hard to kidnap.
    • Flickr
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2003, 01:49:12 PM »
I totally get all in a huff when I hear someone bashing America.  I'll let it pass if it's something that is actually a problem... but I hate it when people moan about something they THINK is wrong with the US. They've never been there, so how on earth would they know?  And most of the time it's just some myth perpetuated by the press, TV, and movies... not ACTUAL life.

I'm fine if people are speaking knowledgably and have all their facts. It's just when people spout off about things they know nothing about.
If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. ~Carl Sagan

• Living by the sea with the man of my dreams!
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2003, 04:23:20 PM »
I haven't run into too much of America bashing yet, although I'll hear things occasionally on tv or the radio that can be a bit annoying.  I try to keep sense of humor about it but sometimes the comments are so off the mark that I get really pissed off.   ::)

Regarding the accent thing, I'm a talker so it's almost impossible for me to keep quiet!!    We'll see how that goes a I start trying to become involved socially here.  I hope they don't shun me because of the accent but that remains to be seen.  [smiley=uneasy.gif]   I'm planning on joining a local group around here so it'll be interesting to see how they react to me.  
« Last Edit: October 04, 2003, 04:24:44 PM by runner1 »
Life should NOT be a journey to the
grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well
preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand,
wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and
screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

• Unavailable for Comment.
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2003, 07:50:04 PM »
It's so funny you would mention the speaking thing because just today I've realized I'm over that. I was on the bus with my husband and a friend we were chatting when I realized I was getting stared at. I wasn't be loud, but the bus was fairly quiet and my accent stood out. Was pretty cool when I just realized I didn't care. Kinda happy about that.

As far as the American bashing goes, I've had people take a few hits at me, one guy in particular went at me all night (the first time I met him.) He commented that he should probably shut up because he's being an a*hole. I said 'yeah, you are'. He doesn't bother me anymore. I tend to just shrug it off. Yeah, people like to take hits at us because we're easy targets and the next time someone does, just mention the awful teeth they have. They won't open their mouths again.
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

• So Long and Thanks for all the Fish!
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2003, 10:20:27 PM »
I agree that this is one of those things that gets easier with time- the talking and worrying about everyone staring thing.

Just the other day I was in the Bank and I ran into a friend and we just starting chatting away and after a few minutes I kind of noticed others in line glancing over and I realised "wow! I am not whispering- I am out in public and I am talking and I am not hiding away the fact that I am american!"

but its taken 2 years to get there!!!

even now when we are on the bus or tube and its just my husband, son and I- we try not to talk a lot and be the "american family"  that everyone else focuses on.

as far as the anti- american comments go- they are every where- all forms of media- radio tv newspapers- it seems people will take any opportunity they can to make a dig at the USA.  I do NOT agree that it is us sensitive americans seeking these comments out- they are there in abundance!

but- when you think about it- its no big surprise! the USA is THE worlds superpower- we dominate the world !!

who's easier to attack and find fault with?  the superstar that stands out above the rest, right?  

so- I really try hard not take any of these anti US comments personally- its a country of what- 270 million people(help me out? US population?) anyway- how can I take anything said about a country of that size personally!

as far as being more patriotic- yes- I am- in a wierd sort of way.  I am as critical of our government as the next person.  I get sick when I think of recent governemental actions on behalf "homeland security." However, I believe in the principles our country was founded on and I feel privileged to have been born there.  

Will I be at the Palladium on November 9th to support Michael Moore in his criticism of our nation's leadership-- hell YES!  Thats the sort of patriotic American I am!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2003, 04:33:57 PM by nursemeh »
Poo? .... Poo!!
Yes, Piglet?
Nothing.  I just wanted to be sure of you.

• You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2003, 05:06:13 PM »
I must live in a bubble, because I haven't experienced any of the *extreme* anit-US sentiment that everyone else here seems to have.  Since I moved here over a year ago, not one person has said anything untoward to me based on my being American, and I guess I have a terribly thick skin when it comes to TV, radio, and newspaper articles.  My in-laws have never made any kind of remarks, none of our friends single me out in any way, strangers haven't gone out of their way to acknowledge and criticise me for being American, and no one I've worked with at my temp jobs has said anything other than the expected "You moved to HERE from FLORIDA?"  :o

I find I only lower my voice when I hear another American voice somewhere in the vicinity.  

Maybe I don't take any of it personally because I don't really consider myself an American Citizen - I consider myself a World Citizen.  A country is just a plot of land and NONE of us get to pick where we're born.  Anyone's nationality is pure accident of birth.

But we're all human...

Just my maybe not-so humble opinion.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2003, 05:40:16 PM »
My wife's brothers are constantly taking the "P" outta the "Yanks" but I give it right back to them. In fact its my MIL who usually tells them to pack it in because she's afraid I'll get offended. Thing is ..I don't. I've really in all honesty never faced any criticism over there that was too over the top or meant in a nasty way. I've seen things in the press and on television that were far nastier than anything I've heard directly from the average punter. Most of it just seems to be a wind-up. If someone I'm not familiar with starts to go off on America I always ask them the same thing....."Have you ever been there?" If the answers "NO", then 9 times out of 10 thats enough to get them stumbling over their tongue trying to justify what they've just said and I then proceed to zone them out after telling them "Well it must be lovely then to know everything without first hand experience". Most times its just a matter of considering the source. 8)

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2003, 06:11:08 PM »
I must live in a bubble, because I haven't experienced any of the *extreme* anit-US sentiment that everyone else here seems to have.  Since I moved here over a year ago, not one person has said anything untoward to me based on my being American, and I guess I have a terribly thick skin when it comes to TV, radio, and newspaper articles.  My in-laws have never made any kind of remarks, none of our friends single me out in any way, strangers haven't gone out of their way to acknowledge and criticise me for being American, and no one I've worked with at my temp jobs has said anything other than the expected "You moved to HERE from FLORIDA?"  :o

I find I only lower my voice when I hear another American voice somewhere in the vicinity.  

Maybe I don't take any of it personally because I don't really consider myself an American Citizen - I consider myself a World Citizen.  A country is just a plot of land and NONE of us get to pick where we're born.  Anyone's nationality is pure accident of birth.

But we're all human...

Just my maybe not-so humble opinion.

No, you don't live in a bubble, my dear because I've never experienced anything like that either.  My boss has once said something about a flag pin I was wearing which, more than anything, made him look stupid, but I just let it go because it's not worth it.  Other than that, never had any problems.

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2003, 07:43:47 PM »
On the current topic, I've onyl ever had 2 anti-American incidents, one with a taxi driver who, upon hearing my accent, got very, VERY scary and saying things like "immigrants like you... blah blah blah", going off about George Bush as if he was my responsibility, and really quite scaring the hell out of me. Got out of the taxi ASAP. The 2nd incident was recently, while answering the phone for a job I was temping at, and the guy on the other line called me a loody foreigner and wouldn't talk to me after that.  :-/ Neither incident ruffled me enough to ruin my day, but it certianly ruined a good 10 minutes of each day. :)
I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2003, 09:08:06 PM »
I think people in other countries bash Americans perhaps because they are jealous. Whose to say. My husband and I stereotype each others culture all the time, but I still love him. There are things about all countries I'm sure that have positives and negatives and It's so easy to stereotype and bash someone elses culture which I suppose is pretty lame. Especially when people say things and never actually been there or lived there.

I was in Blackpool once and some guy at the games booth asked me where I was from. I said from America, and he said "It's a sh*t country"... I just rolled my eyes at him cause the only thing that came to mind was you are totally jealous dude. "DON'T HATE"

And if anyone calls me an immigrant, doesnt bother me in the slightest. I just calmly tell them "but at least I'm here legitametly and not sponging of your government" that pretty much shuts them up.  ;D well not always  :o

• Unavailable for Comment.
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2003, 11:26:31 PM »
I like the idea about the teeth comment though.  Juvenile?  Maybe............but sometimes I think it's good to give rudeness back to a rude person!  Dose of their own medicine.  

Of course it's juvenile. It's what I do.  ;D
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2003, 11:19:02 AM »
Funny, just yesterday I had several examples of the talking/accent/etc.

I live in this small town, never had anything but good experiences, me being American. Even though when I first moved here I barely spoke in public. I just wanted to fit in and not be singled out as the town's token American. As time went on and I started doing things regularly...getting nails done, getting hair cut, going to the gym, eating out in restaurants, going to the bank and post office...as I started knowing people, my guard dropped. No longer did I feel out of place because everyone had accepted me, and even seem to actually like me.

So when I was in town yesterday, I stopped at the butcher's and there was this new bloke behind the counter. I'm just talking normally and he packs up my purchases and asks "Where are you from?" and then "Where do you live now?" And he got really chatty, the way a lot do, especially if they've been to Florida. Halfway through this conversation, a woman walked in...and I could see out of the corner of my eye her head do a complete spin like she suddenly realized "An American!" It was an odd feeling, as though she was spitting venom and he was delighted beyond measure. (BTW, she never said anything to me and she very well could like Americans, it's just her sudden head movement made it appear she was more shocked than pleasantly surprised at my presence.)

Same thing happened at the post office...person behind the counter thinking nothing of me, person in the window next to me doing a double take. Ah, but the person next to me was sending two letters to America!

Later I phoned to make a hair appointment and the guy on the other end of the phone asked "Is this Mrs. Williams?" Erm, no, but it is nice to know I'm not the only American around these parts!

I think the worst is for me that I can do really goofy things, I mean even after five years here I am still all discombobulated and I hate doing things wrong and especially being caught making a mistake. And I know because of my accent, not only do people remember who made the mistake (that American) but that also they can tell other people (it was that American) and they all know who he/she was talking about!

OR, when I parked all wonky the other day because I couldn't quite fit into the only parking space available...I drive an American car, you see..."It's that American." I don't meld into the crowd here and often I feel like I am wearing the teeshirt labelled "Studid".

As far as patriotism, yes, I do feel it, especially just after 911...because of the flag waving that was being reported. People didn't understand why Americans wave flags all the time. Made me wonder why the British don't, but then explained to me that the British swear allegiance to the Queen and don't pledge allegiance to the flag. The flag just doesn't have the same importance here. The individual country flags are waved primarily at sporting events to distinguish team alliance. But once the game's over, the flags disappear again. The British flags usually come out for the Proms.

(I'm not so sure that George Bush is doing much to keep my patriotism going, however.)

I confess to breaking down in massive tears/sobbing like there's no tomorrow whenever "God Bless the USA" is sung by Lee Greenwood. I can't help it...it's a involuntary reaction.
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab