Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Things I Wonder About...  (Read 1607 times)

• Liked: 0
Things I Wonder About...
« on: October 09, 2003, 12:41:08 AM »
Okay - I totally lifted this topic from another expat site, but I thought it was a good one.  A place to ponder differences without being judgemental.

So here's mine (well ONE of mine)..

Have you noticed that there seems to be quite a few Brits who either have lazy 'r's in their speech patterns, or don't pronounce them at all?  I've noticed it in several historians on TV programs, and I've noticed it out and about, too.

I recall back when I was in kindergarten, I had to go to a speech therapist for help with my 'r's and 's's.  I was so mortified to be singled out with a few other classmates to leave and see the therapist, that I worked furiously at my pronounciation so I could be 'normal'! ::)

I was so pleased when the whole room-temperature egg issue in supermarkets was finally explained to me on the other site, so there must be other mysteries we can figure out together!

L
You are only young once, but you can stay immature indefinitely.

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
  • Liked: 8
Re: Things I Wonder About...
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2003, 03:28:12 PM »
I've noticed the "r" thing with some accents over here, it actually reminds me a lot of my mom who was born and raised in Massachusetts, and therefore also dropped r's like bad habits. :)
I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2003, 04:42:33 PM »
I'm from Massachusetts and we get that all the time.  We don't pronounce our r's.  I don't have a typical Boston accent, I've sort of adapted a hybrid version I think cause I've worked with so many people from different areas etc.  But the Boston still comes out when I'm not paying attention.  Perhaps accent-wize we are closer to England then they want us to think? lol
Give a man an inch and he thinks he's a ruler!

• So Long and Thanks for all the Fish!
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2003, 04:48:33 PM »
This "r" thing is funny to us also- we've noticed friends say "paster" and "cinemar" for pasta and cinema.

My husband had an entire conversation with a colleague at his university- they were talking about 2 different things!!  

My husband thought he heard his friend ask him what he thought about the "wall" referring to a particular display on the wall at the university.  

Actually he had asked what my husband, being american, thought about the WAR!!!!

So they talk and my husband realises he is discussing a trivial bulletin board while his British friend is discussing Iraq!!!
Poo? .... Poo!!
Yes, Piglet?
Nothing.  I just wanted to be sure of you.

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2003, 04:49:37 PM »
lol nursemeh.  I can just see that happening in my mind's eye.  lol

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2003, 08:26:50 PM »
I've always thought it was interesting that I didn't get as much teasing about my southern accent the last time I lived in London as I do in the states.Maybe that is one of the many reasons that I can't wait to get there!!LOL

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2003, 10:44:27 AM »
It's because they love Southern accents here!
Lloyd Grossman...I'd always wondered about his accent. Couldn't figure out if he was an American taking the mickey out of accents here or if he really was British with just to posh an accent. Then I saw him interviewed on TV. He's originally from the New England area. That explained everything!
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2003, 05:32:11 PM »
Hmmm LisaE perhaps this means I will fit in more easily than some then!?  Hey its worth a shot anyway!

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2003, 08:52:39 PM »
You'll fit right in!  ;)
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab