Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Fiancé visa / FLR / Honeymoon  (Read 1181 times)

• Liked: 0
Fiancé visa / FLR / Honeymoon
« on: September 28, 2005, 03:07:17 PM »
I am in the UK on a fiancé visa, which expires in March.  We are getting married in the UK in January.  We would like to go on our honeymoon immediately following our wedding.  However, that means that I'd be going in and out of the UK still on my fiancé visa while married (although I'd have no documentation to prove that we were married, as the marriage certificate wouldn't be available yet, nor would I have my FLR).  Anyone think this will present a problem?  I could get quizzed-up by Immigration, as I did on my first trip into the UK on my fiancé visa -- questions like "What date are you getting married?  Where is the ceremony?  Where is the reception?" etc.
Do they allow for a paperwork time-gap like this, or do they expect all couples with at least one foreign partner to postpone their honeymoons?  Anyone?   ???
Thanks!   :)
Bored

Re: Fiancé visa / FLR / Honeymoon
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2005, 03:15:03 PM »
However, that means that I'd be going in and out of the UK still on my fiancé visa while married (although I'd have no documentation to prove that we were married, as the marriage certificate wouldn't be available yet, nor would I have my FLR). 

Why won't your marriage Certificate be ready yet? We got ours right after our ceremony on the day we got married. Or maybe it's because we got married in a registrar's office?

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2005, 03:16:05 PM »
We're getting married in a Catholic church.  I don't think that it'll be ready.   :(   
Bored

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2005, 03:21:52 PM »
I know this sucks, but you really shouldn't do this.  You really need to get your status changed before you leave for your honeymoon.  There is a real risk that on returning from honeymoon you will be refused entry, as you won't have a spousal visa; you will only have a (no longer valid) fiancee visa.

Is there no way you could have a brief civil ceremony before hand in order that you can deal with the paperwork for your change of status in time for the religious ceremony?

Victoria

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2005, 03:30:19 PM »
I know this sucks, but you really shouldn't do this. You really need to get your status changed before you leave for your honeymoon. There is a real risk that on returning from honeymoon you will be refused entry, as you won't have a spousal visa; you will only have a (no longer valid) fiancee visa.

Is there no way you could have a brief civil ceremony before hand in order that you can deal with the paperwork for your change of status in time for the religious ceremony?

Victoria

Thanks very much Victoria.  This is what I was afraid of (and it does suck) -- so in essence, the fiancé visa does become null-and-void once I'm married even if the paperwork hasn't caught-up yet.     :(
Thanks for the suggestion about the civil ceremony, but we want to be married in the  church.  Oh well, we'll just have to deal accordingly.
Bored

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2005, 04:18:55 PM »
Why not switch to the FLR in person?  Is that an option?  If you could get an appointment to do that, you could be off on your honeymoon faster.

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2005, 04:25:35 PM »
I am in the UK on a fiancé visa, which expires in March.  We are getting married in the UK in January.  We would like to go on our honeymoon immediately following our wedding.  However, that means that I'd be going in and out of the UK still on my fiancé visa while married (although I'd have no documentation to prove that we were married, as the marriage certificate wouldn't be available yet, nor would I have my FLR).  Anyone think this will present a problem?  I could get quizzed-up by Immigration, as I did on my first trip into the UK on my fiancé visa -- questions like "What date are you getting married?  Where is the ceremony?  Where is the reception?" etc.
Do they allow for a paperwork time-gap like this, or do they expect all couples with at least one foreign partner to postpone their honeymoons?  Anyone?   ???

Your fiance visa is good for multiple entries. It shouldn't be a problem especially if you have your spouse with you during your re-entry in the UK

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2005, 04:34:51 PM »
It is good for multiple entries, but if you get married then leave the country the fiancee visa ceases to be valid.  You will get away with it if you are not questioned, but if you are then you could be refused entry.  I have known this happen, and if your plan is to build a life in the UK I just don't think it is worth it.

Victoria

• Smiley Gifts World
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2005, 06:29:03 PM »
I would have all the paperwork ready--- and just pop the application in the mail before you leave the country. Once you have applied for FLM your fiancee visa is automatically extended until a decision is made.

edited to add---duhhhhhh you would have to mail your passport---sorry stupid suggestion!!!

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2005, 06:46:15 PM »
Stuz,

Could you go on a honeymoon in England or Scotland? There are lovely places to be seen and I can personally vouch for Dorset (where we spent our honeymoon hehe) ;D There are so many romantic places to celebrate such a wonderful event and then you could go abroad for a second honeymoon once your FLR came through?

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2005, 07:08:56 PM »
We came up with an ingenious solution. Since DH came to the US and you really can't travel while you wait ages for the green card, we took our honeymoon 2 weeks before the wedding.  Granted it was to London to get his visa so we could get married, we took some extra time to travel and got a nice hotel room while we were there.  I was pregnant with DS soon after so we have yet to take a proper after marriage honeymoon.
Dream a dream of England .......... Some day

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2005, 09:06:28 PM »
Could you go on a honeymoon in England or Scotland? There are lovely places to be seen and I can personally vouch for Dorset (where we spent our honeymoon hehe) ;D There are so many romantic places to celebrate such a wonderful event and then you could go abroad for a second honeymoon once your FLR came through?

Why not switch to the FLR in person? Is that an option? If you could get an appointment to do that, you could be off on your honeymoon faster.

We came up with an ingenious solution. Since DH came to the US and you really can't travel while you wait ages for the green card, we took our honeymoon 2 weeks before the wedding. Granted it was to London to get his visa so we could get married, we took some extra time to travel and got a nice hotel room while we were there. I was pregnant with DS soon after so we have yet to take a proper after marriage honeymoon.

We'll definitely want to go someplace warm as quickly as possible, but it's not a bad idea to make it a long, romantic wedding weekend, capped off by going to get the FLR in person.  And then we can go away on the honeymoon the next week.  Thanks everyone!   :)
Bored

• Mummy of Jean Kathleen and Thomas Patrick
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2005, 07:24:17 AM »
We're going to the Lake District for our honeymoon partly for that reason - we'll be sending off for my FLR the very next day. 

So I think a romantic weekend within the UK, then FLR in person then the rest of your honeymoon (since you want to go someplace warm) afterwards sounds ideal.
Maroon Passport Club!

Sponsored Links