Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Fiance Visa  (Read 902 times)

• Liked: 0
Fiance Visa
« on: September 29, 2005, 08:29:12 PM »
Im going to apply for my visa in Dec and go to the UK on Jan 14th. We plan on getting married sometime in Feb. Does the visa become void after you get married? Because we are planning on going to the Philippines in April since the visa is valid multiple entries. We are taking our marriage Cert with us just to prove when we come back to the UK, there would be no problems. Would I be ok? Thanks
Posted my FLR (M) on May 9th 2006 and got my visa on Jun 2nd 2006.

• Tis Me!
    • My Family Photos
  • Liked: 2
Re: Fiance Visa
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2005, 08:38:48 PM »
There is a thread about this as well

http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=17850.0

yes the fiancee visa becomes void once you get married. you will need to apply for a spouse visa before you leave the uk. you might have a problem getting back in.

But there are others that have gone thru this that might advise you better.

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2005, 08:50:31 PM »
Well That sucks..lol.. Maybe we can wait to get married until we get back. My visa wont expire til June and we are going in April. We will see. Is the spouse visa as same as FLR? How long does it take to get it if I post it, and where can I get the forms after we are married? Sorry for all the ??.lol Thank you

• Liked: 2
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2005, 09:13:30 PM »
Can you go and apply for your spouse visa in person? That way you will get it on the same day (assuming all is in order).

• finally home
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2005, 06:31:47 PM »
not sure if this will help, but the flr is the next visa after fiance clearance one after you get married, by chance my visa expired shortly after our wedding so things worked out time wise.
took about 2 or 3 weeks to get the flr visa (new stamp in passport)
i would think that if you get the application posted (if cant do in person) after wedding it should be back in time for your trip.
its basically stuff you sent before (passports, letters etc.. and marriage certificate)
question is what will times for approval be than? they could be same or longer.
i cant see a problem with the 2 month difference in getting the flr before trip.
best of luck

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2005, 10:02:55 PM »
Sorry, I was looking at the thread that MeShell referred to, and it doesn't make sense to me.

The fiance visa has an expiration date that is 6 months after the date the application was approved. This expiration date is printed on the visa that goes on your passport.  I have not read anywhere else that the fiance visa expires when you get married.  That would mean that unless you apply for FLR the day after you get married, you would be living in the UK illegally between the time you got married and the time you applied for FLR. 

It makes sense to me that the expiration date of the fiance visa is the date printed on the fiance visa as the expiration date.

As for being questioned by immigration, I entered the UK twice on my fiance visa (both times before I was married.) The first time, I had to answer a load of questions. The second time, I passed through easily without any questions.  I got my fiance visa in January. Traveled to the UK in February. Entered again, this time permanently, in April. Got married in June. Got my FLR later in June. Fiance visa expired in July.

If I'm wrong, I apologise, but I'd like to see where it says that the fiance visa expires upon marriage, overriding the expiration date staped on the visa.

Although bryhnt5 is getting married in February and traveling in April, so could FLR long before traveling, so there is no need to travel on the fiance visa anyway. Even if a mail application doesn't get back in time, I believe you just need proof that you sent in the application before the fiance visa expired.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2005, 10:12:01 PM by sweetpeach »

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2005, 09:02:25 AM »
You know - if you make your reservations in your maiden name, as you will have to if you haven't had your passport amended, then how is anyone going to know that you've gotten married?  And as a Fiance Visa is multiple-entry, you *should* have no problems re-entering after your honeymoon.  Just don't volunteer any information unless asked directly.

Used to be that the Immigration Officers could stamp your passport with your Further Leave - when I got married in 2003, we were told that, since the wedding date and the expiry date were so close, that if we left the country for a honeymoon, I should bring my marriage certificate and the IO could stamp me with FLR when we returned.

But they can't do that anymore because too many abuses were occuring.  :-\\\\
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2005, 12:41:34 PM »
Just don't volunteer any information unless asked directly.

Agreed, but not for every case.  Not wanting to get into the main topic of this thread, but rather to pass along some extracts from the Enforcement Manual having to do with silent deception....

When a person enters the UK, there is no duty of candour on him to disclose material facts to an IO who does not ask about them. Such non-disclosure does not in itself constitute illegal entry, but his conduct, or conduct accompanied by silence, at his on entry interview may prove that he has entered illegally having deceived the entry clearance officer or the IO on arrival.

If, for instance, a person remains silent about a previous breach of the immigration laws which he knows or should reasonably know would be detrimental to his application for leave to enter the UK, he may commit an offence under section 24A of the 1971 Act (see 3.11) or 26(1) (c) of that Act if his non-disclosure of a fact alters the truth of what has been said.

Likewise, a person who hears or sees something he knows to be a false representation being made on his behalf to an entry clearance officer or an IO which he knows to be material to the grant of leave to enter, and who remains silent, commits an offence under section 24A of the 1971 Act and perhaps under section 26(1)(c) of the 1971 Act. The age of the person and his relationship to the individual making the statement should be taken into account. Cases of difficulty should be referred to EPU before notice of illegal entry is served.

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2005, 01:15:51 AM »
Thanks for posting to my reply everybody. My original plan was be in UK In Jan, get married in Feb and apply for my FLR after I get back after April. But I should just apply for my FLR after our marriage. It should be plenty of time to get it anyway before my trip. Plus I dont have to hassle applying the FLR after I get back, instead I can start looking for a job after we get back. Thanks ;D

Sponsored Links