Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Getting a Visa?  (Read 742 times)

• My Myspace Profile
  • Liked: 0
Getting a Visa?
« on: October 01, 2005, 09:21:31 PM »
Ok, I have been surfing this site here and there and I have had a little difficulty finding what I am looking for, so here are my questions:

I have been reading a lot of the "spousal" and "fiance" visa stories. HoweverI haven't really noticed any other kind of visa stories being published... So what would I need (as in requirements, financially and other) to get a Visa without being involved with anyone, related to anyone that lives over in the UK? What process would I need to take? I have many friends over there all willing to allow me to stay with them if I were able to pay rent (hence, why I need a visa). However I am  23 year old high school graduate with no college education. Am I stuck in a rock and a hard place? Or are there some options for me?

Please list ANYTHING that comes to mind no matter how outlandish or silly it may seem. Your thoughts would be appreciated! Thank you guys!!!
Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.

• Smiley Gifts World
  • Liked: 1
Re: Getting a Visa?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2005, 09:23:15 PM »
Easiest option is to go to school in the UK and get a student visa.

• My Myspace Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2005, 09:38:27 PM »
I have delved into that venture as well, thank you for the suggestion! Any others??

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2005, 09:40:46 PM »
Pretty much your best and only option at this point is what HG said, student visa and go to college here. With a student visa I believe you can work up to 20 hours a week? (Someone please correct me on that if I am wrong). Theres a work visa, but with no college education chances are you won't qualify for that visa.

But here is a site with all the visas and qualifications for visas http://www.britainusa.com/visas/visas.asp
« Last Edit: October 01, 2005, 09:44:26 PM by EnglandsYank »

• My Myspace Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2005, 09:49:52 PM »
Hmmmm, I guess my searching has come to an impasse... Anyone else with any other options?

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2005, 10:07:20 PM »
I'm assuming that you can't prove British citizenship through ancestry?

There is the Highly Skilled Migrant Program, but that would require a degree.

Sorry, but you can't just move to the UK without one of the reasons listed above.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2005, 10:11:09 PM by sweetpeach »

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2005, 11:27:25 PM »
I'm assuming that you can't prove British citizenship through ancestry?

There is the Highly Skilled Migrant Program, but that would require a degree.

Sorry, but you can't just move to the UK without one of the reasons listed above.

I *think* I read somewhere that Americans can't claim citizenship through ancestry except by mother/father. I could be wrong though....

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2005, 08:21:33 AM »
I *think* I read somewhere that Americans can't claim citizenship through ancestry except by mother/father. I could be wrong though....

No you're not incorrect .  Canadians or other Commonwealth can use a grandparent to qualify for Right of Abode/ancestry.  Americans can't. 

With no degree or qualifications, your options are pretty limited to student visa - you must be enrolled on a full-time course and work is restricted to 20 hours/week during term times and full-time during term breaks. 

• Does my bum look big in this?
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2005, 04:54:58 PM »
No you're not incorrect .  Canadians or other Commonwealth can use a grandparent to qualify for Right of Abode/ancestry.  Americans can't. 

Even then, it's not always automatic.  I only recently became a British citizen despite being born to a British mother.  And my children are NOT eligible for British citizenship through me, because I am British 'by descent'.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2005, 06:50:30 PM by closet.hippie »
When I am grown-up I will understand how BEAUTIFUL it feels to administrate my life effectively.

Until then I will continue to TORCH all correspondence that bores me and to dance NAKED over the remnants of its still glowing embers.

~The Interesting Thoughts of Edward Monkton

• Going somewhere doesn't take you anyplace else.
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2005, 06:36:39 PM »
http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=15157.0

Not sure if this is helpful......
The only meaning anything has is the meaning you give to it.       ~Author Unknown

2006 Work Permit -> 2011 ILR -> 2012 Dual Citizen

Sponsored Links