Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Snagged an interview  (Read 1513 times)

• NYState_of_Mind
  • FAMILIE, GOD & VADERLAND! Zonder de een heb je niet de anderen!!

• Never forget what it MEANS to be an AMERICAN...
    • Uncover Fahrenheit for what it is
  • Liked: 0
Snagged an interview
« on: October 13, 2003, 01:26:09 PM »
Ok I've been on tons on interviews and actually enjoy them 'cause I always tend to ace them.  I used to work for Drake, Bean, Morin which is an outplacement company (use to be the largest in the world) anyway, that's where I had my training and did all the testing..(video, body movement, eye contract, myer-briggs test, etc.).  

So why in the world do I have butterflies.  Interview is with the same company my husband works for  :D  He's the one who sent the internal posting to me.

It's supporting two people which is not bad.  I'm a one-gal type of Executive Assistant but it's a foot in the door..  This particular postion supports the SVP of Commercial Ops and the VP of Business Affairs!! in an music company!!  Really cool since I use to work for Vivendi Universal (Universal Music/Studios).  That's where Glen and I met actually.  :-*

So it's for this Thursday at 9 AM!!  I have no clue what to expect since this will be my first interview here in the UK.  Glen has already coached me and making sure I don't make my classical Yvonne facial remarks when they ask how old you are, if you're married and if there are any children or plans on having them!!!  Sh*t that's a **HUGE** taboo back in the states one you never cross as an a person who is conducting the interview.  As for the children part, well let's just say less is best!!  Sure, someday will be my answer to that one!!

The other thing that's going to absolutely kill me and probably for the most part flip me out would be the salary (when it's discussed, if I even get to that round)!!  A job like that in NYC would be golden and actually would only be supporting the SVP!!  I shiver to think about what this job offers - salary wise. :-X  God, how I was spoiled back home.  When I use to work for VU, I had a company cell phone, laptop, was able to work from home, company credit card and travelled as well and not to mention the salary which was awesome.  Glen tells me I was making more than managers who have been with the company for years (when he was based in the UK and I was in NYC)!!  I loved my job back home and know I will never get a job like that here or again (until we move back to NY).  Aaa, the sweet memories.  But I have to forget that and move forward to this new opportunity!  ;)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2003, 01:51:54 PM by NYState_of_Mind »
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile--hoping it will eat him last."Forgiveness is up to God. I just hope we hurry up the meeting." 02.08.03, Gen. Schwarzkoph It's the SILENT MAJORITY that COUNTS not the LOUD MINORITY that CONSTANTLY WINES! http://www.leftnuts.com/images/fu_marines1.jpg
www.protestwarrior.com Proud Member of the V.R.W.C.

Re: Snagged an interview
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2003, 01:52:51 PM »
Congratulations and good luck!!! If you have done well on interviews in the past, I’m sure you will be fantastic!
I nearly choked when a friend of mine said that I should put my date of birth, marital status, etc., on my CV – I really felt somewhat violated - And why is that information necessary when applying for a job ??!!! - My guess is that its a good conversation topic ;D
I am sending positive vibes your way!
Melissa ;D

• NYState_of_Mind

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2003, 02:18:26 PM »
Hey Missy, thanks a bunch..  As for my resume I did not put my personal information on it.  Left it open for a conversation during the interview.  My husband said there was no need nowadays.  Some people do and some don't..  I was one of those who didn't ;)

« Last Edit: October 14, 2003, 09:42:05 PM by NYState_of_Mind »
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile--hoping it will eat him last."Forgiveness is up to God. I just hope we hurry up the meeting." 02.08.03, Gen. Schwarzkoph It's the SILENT MAJORITY that COUNTS not the LOUD MINORITY that CONSTANTLY WINES! http://www.leftnuts.com/images/fu_marines1.jpg

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2003, 03:24:22 PM »
Good Luck on your interview Yvonne!

Interviews here in the UK are bizarre to what we are used to in the states! They usually have a panel of 2-3 persons interviewing you. I was taught to basically wear your Sunday best when going for interviews but here l have seen others who look like they just got out of bed! lol

Come to Northern lreland and on the Equal Opportunities Questionnaire your asked What your status is; ie-married, single, etc, then you are asked male or female, then your nationality, and finally..........What community are you from; ie-Catholic, or Protestant or Neither! Just about fell over when l first read that!

Congrats and All the best for a great interview!!!  

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2003, 08:57:20 PM »
Congratulations Yvonne and good luck. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Sounds like you're well prepared already. :)

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2003, 11:07:20 AM »
I'm rooting for you!
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

• NYState_of_Mind

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2003, 09:52:44 PM »
Thank you Trish, Melissa and Lisa.  We'll see what happens.  Funny thing is I'm not at all excited about it and can't figure out why??  I'm taking it more as a learning experience than an opportunity.  Will be my first time in the UK.

I just think sh*t if I get this how the hell am I going to do my workouts in the morning and make sure I get home at a decent hour to make dinner and workout again - phew. Even though Glen is fine with me not cooking I enjoy doing it for him (not everyday) but most of the week.  Oh and that commuting will be a b*tch!!  I never had to commute more than 45 minutes when I worked in NYC..  Now only god knows how long it will take especially during rush hour.

Back when I use to work my hours were 8 am - 4 pm - loved them.  Cause I was able to workout in the AM and also directly right after work come home at a decent hour and eat dinner before 7 pm.  Here people don't start work until 9'ish.  Glen is in the office at 7:30 am and doesn't see a soul until after 9:15 am or so..   ::)  I'd rather go to work early and come home early.  Anyway, this is just all speculation....to be continued..

But if the $$ is good then I have no problem!!  ;)

Thanks again for the moral support.  I'll be sure to post my experience come Thursday afternoon.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2003, 09:53:33 PM by NYState_of_Mind »

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2003, 10:12:20 PM »
Way to go, lady!  Here's to hoping it goes well!!!

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2003, 05:19:36 PM »
Good luck on the interview.  Sounds like there will be lots of responsibility with this job so hopefully being in London too that the salary reflects that.
Give a man an inch and he thinks he's a ruler!

• NYState_of_Mind

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2003, 04:49:55 PM »
Well thank you everyone for sending "good vibes and thoughts my way" cause I aced this interview!  8)  They want me to come back for a second interview.  Like I said it's supporting two senior level people (not bad since I'm usually a one-gal type of assistant).  

There is nothing I can say that really put me off kiltered.  No unusual questions, no personal questions.  Nothing.  I didn't even fill out any paperwork - nada.  I was there for an hour and a half.  A straight-forward, normal interview.  Typical interview questions you would get in the U.S.  Although the gal interviewing me was in her late 20's and an H.R. assistant.  I'm used to having someone a little more seasoned interview me.  Salary well the only thing I can say is that she asked me what kind of package I'm looking for  ;)  Nope, sorry! They didn't give me a figure right off the bat, so I didn't give them a number.  Just told them I'm not prepared to give a number at this stage in the game.  I need all the negotiation power I can get -- especially when it comes to the salary I'm use to as an E.A. in NYC vs. that of an E.A. from London!!   :-X  It's frightening.  Totally two different worlds.  Like night and day; black and white!!  That's one OBSTACLE that I have to get over - SOMEHOW!!

I also have another lead with the former company I use to work for before I left to come to London - yippee!!  I told my ex-boss who still communicates w/ the CIO there.  He said he would have him get the scoop and put in a a good word for me!  I've worked with the CIO so he knows my reputation and my work ethic.  Hopefully this would give me some edge and a little more consideration to others  (whether outside/inside applicants).  This job is right up my ally!!  Executive Assistant to the SVP, Strategic Marketing and Head of Commercial Affairs, Strategic Marketing and Commercial Affairs (phew what a mouthful  :P)  I'm really psyched about this one!!  Especially since I've worked there before and it's such a COOL COMPANY to work for.  Another entertainment company!!  So wish me luck!  I'm forwarding my resume this afternoon!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2003, 04:54:32 PM by NYState_of_Mind »

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2003, 05:05:16 PM »
Throwing heaps and heaps of luck to you.  I'll keep my fingers crossed too!  Best of luck.  You are so excited about everything and it really comes across in your posts.  I can't help but be excited and interested in the outcomes too.   :)
Give a man an inch and he thinks he's a ruler!

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2003, 05:41:10 PM »
I'm so glad the interview went so well!!! When do they want you back for the 2nd one then? Sounds like something big is going to happen either way - how wonderful!
I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

• Liked: 4
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2003, 06:23:13 PM »
WOW...sounds really exciting ....if you dont want the job I do, LOL.  
"A nation which does not remember what it was yesterday does not know where it is today."
--Robert E. Lee

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2003, 06:26:30 PM »
Yay! I'm so glad the interview went well. :D I'll keep my fingers crossed for you again...not that it sounds like you need it. ;) It sounds like things are going really great and are all falling into place. Best of luck. :)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab