Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: I thought it was free!  (Read 684 times)

• Liked: 0
I thought it was free!
« on: October 07, 2005, 04:37:23 PM »
On the us embassy website, it says if your passport is over a year old, you have to pay to have your name changed, but if it's less than a year, it's free... What gives?

• Contraltos do it lower....
    • Forever Autumn
Re: I thought it was free!
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2005, 06:51:25 PM »
On the us embassy website, it says if your passport is over a year old, you have to pay to have your name changed, but if it's less than a year, it's free... What gives?

Any excuse to get money out of you...  Frustrating, innit?
I was born in the Summer and at Night...my mother named me AUTUMN DAWN.  True story.

Jamie's...beyond the stars and past eternity.

EMAIL or PM me for information about gigs or about booking me (solo gig) or the band.

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2005, 07:31:08 PM »
Any excuse to get money out of you...  Frustrating, innit?

I think I read the wrong thing... I called the number and the recorded man said it was free, and the instructions said to ignore the bit where it says you have to pay.... I called the American Embassy in London and she told me they have nothing to do with Americans. Go figure.

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2005, 08:09:09 PM »
I just answered your questions in brits_americans, but I'll repost it here too because other people will probably want to know:

Apparently, it's changed since last month. You can no longer get your passport ammended to change your name. You have to get a new passport! I just discovered this trying to find the answer to your question. If your passport is less than a year old you can get the new one in your new name for free, otherwise there is a charge. Mine was issued in October of last year... I better send it off NOW!

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_web/acs/passports/amendindex.htm

Now I'm wondering about switching over your visa... will that be an additional charge or done automatically?

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2005, 08:10:58 PM »
Or, do you carry your old passport too with the visa in it?

I think I'm gonna try to get this done now before my passport is a year old. I'm glad this question came up!

• Forever Autumn
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2005, 08:15:39 PM »
That question has been answered recently on a thread in here.  But, yes, you DO have to pay for your visa to be put into a new passport, or you have to carry the old and new one with you. 
I was born in the Summer and at Night...my mother named me AUTUMN DAWN.  True story.

EMAIL or PM me for information about gigs or about booking me (solo gig) or the band.

• Forever Autumn
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2005, 08:17:03 PM »
Actually the thread that the question is answered in is a "stickied" thread at the top of this forum.

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2005, 08:24:32 PM »
Actually the thread that the question is answered in is a "stickied" thread at the top of this forum.

Alright. I'm sorry I didn't read the "stickied" threads at the top of the forum.

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2005, 08:31:00 PM »

Apparently, it's changed since last month. You can no longer get your passport ammended to change your name. You have to get a new passport!

That's funny.  I did exactly that a week and a half ago at the Passport Agency in Miami.

Be nice if they could get their stories straight, wouldn't it? 

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2005, 08:33:08 PM »
That's funny.  I did exactly that a week and a half ago at the Passport Agency in Miami.

Be nice if they could get their stories straight, wouldn't it? 

Well, it's only been 11 days since it changed. You must have got there just in time! :)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab